How I spent my week off from work

• Members

in my two weeks, i went to a museum, busch gradens, got a little less than half of my DVD collection onto my MM server, played allot of wii and playstation, watched to many holiday / kids movies.. I think I wore the same pajamas three days / nights in a row. good times..

• Members

I had 4 days off and was quite productive:

Replaced battery in a Yamaha FS1R

Replaced battery ina Wavestation SR

Loaded NI Komplete 5, Arturia JP-8, Waldorf Largo & PPG VST and Scarbee on Macbook

Created a song using Garageband loops

Played the Hammond at 2 Christmas Eve Services

Good Times! Indeed!

• Members

serialized and photo the entire studio (almost)

went through the file cabinet and removed lots of stuff... about 50 pounds of unneeded stuff.

Played Carbons old Lil Phatty, my new pro one and fixed a pro-solo and DP4+

Painted a room too..

• Members

I bought Dragon Age, played it for two days the weekend before Xmas, got bored with it, and went back to trying to do something with music. Then I got a cold and sank into a pit of exhaustion. I wasted lots of time online looking at gear and reading about stuff. I did the holiday thing with my family - spent a lot of time making and decorating cookies with my kids, preparing for Santa Claus to come, and playing with presents. Happily, practicing piano lessons for one to two hours per day gaves me a good sense of musical accomplishment. About halfway through I got into Maschine and kept going and going. I made some loops and some multi-part compositions all running with Maschine inside Kore 2 (no DAW) and using Kore sounds along with Maschine kits. I got Maschine playing drums and sequencing my Voyager on Bass and my Q keyboard on pads (in stand-alone). I installed the Largo update and started programming it to make various electronic drum sounds with the idea that I would make a Maschine kit that is all Largo. I got some good kicks. I learned how to slice loops in Live and export the individual slices to wav files for later (made loops with different velocities on the kick hits and sliced up the different velocities to make layers for Maschine - still working on other kit pieces - will take a while since it is my first time doing this). I spent about 4 hours last night trying to make hat and cymbal sounds using Largo with mixed results. I got some really good bell-like tones and some okay high hats but came to the conclusion that has been reached elsewhere which is that crash and rides are incredibly difficult using subtractive synthesis (and FM, and ringmod, and wavetable sequencing), even if you are trying to make some sort of electronic fascimile to take the place of a crash or ride. I learned how to use Launchpad in Live. I also did some minor studio reorg - mostly just cleaning up and moving some rack gear and small shelves around. I ate a lot of good food that is bad for your health.

• Members

I bought Dragon Age, played it for two days the weekend before Xmas, got bored with it, and went back to trying to do something with music. Then I got a cold and sank into a pit of exhaustion. I wasted lots of time online looking at gear and reading about stuff. I did the holiday thing with my family - spent a lot of time making and decorating cookies with my kids, preparing for Santa Claus to come, and playing with presents. Happily, practicing piano lessons for one to two hours per day gaves me a good sense of musical accomplishment. About halfway through I got into Maschine and kept going and going. I made some loops and some multi-part compositions all running with Maschine inside Kore 2 (no DAW) and using Kore sounds along with Maschine kits. I got Maschine playing drums and sequencing my Voyager on Bass and my Q keyboard on pads (in stand-alone). I installed the Largo update and started programming it to make various electronic drum sounds with the idea that I would make a Maschine kit that is all Largo. I got some good kicks. I learned how to slice loops in Live and export the individual slices to wav files for later (made loops with different velocities on the kick hits and sliced up the different velocities to make layers for Maschine - still working on other kit pieces - will take a while since it is my first time doing this). I spent about 4 hours last night trying to make hat and cymbal sounds using Largo with mixed results. I got some really good bell-like tones and some okay high hats but came to the conclusion that has been reached elsewhere which is that crash and rides are incredibly difficult using subtractive synthesis (and FM, and ringmod, and wavetable sequencing), even if you are trying to make some sort of electronic fascimile to take the place of a crash or ride. I learned how to use Launchpad in Live. I also did some minor studio reorg - mostly just cleaning up and moving some rack gear and small shelves around. I ate a lot of good food that is bad for your health.

I got a rock.

• Members

I spent mine selling off software synths that I didn't need, ordering modular modules, and waiting for them to arrive. (still waiting) I played a few games (playing Twilight princess again,) and Wolfenstein 3D on my iPod Touch. :) I fear I won't get anything done musically for another month or two while I build up my modular to acceptable levels again. As I mentioned in the January Gear thread, I've finally had it with computers for music. Not because I have any trouble with them, but I finally just can't stand sitting at one when I'm done sitting at one all day at work. (never thought it would happen) I require patch cables, switches, knobs, and other archaic means to inspire me now like many others. I always considered them a bonus with my previous modulars.

I'll be making music as soon as I have an envelope generator or comparable CV source. I'll be making something resembling music though as soon as my VCO arrives. :D

• Members

don't feel bad.

i had pretty much that exact situation happen today as well. had just sat down in front of the monomachine and heard "HOLY {censored} TERMINATOR TWO IS ON" from the living room.

i had to investigate. i really, really like terminator two.

T2 was one of the few movies that blew the original out of the water. Great movie still even to this day.

• Members

isn't that gathering process to make a studio, prepare gigging gear etc is more exciting then actually working with these s#$t ?
:lol:

Last week I actually managed to get a bit of recording done, *and* I had a NYE gig to boot. So yay for actual productivity.

(Christmas week is when the family sweeps in and demands 100% of your time. No synths then.)

• Members

Had a short two weeks off, didn't make any music apart from a modular arse installment, but did catch up on my practicing quite a bit, and caught up on sorting my head out quite a bit too, work has been hard on it lately.

And now i can play the intro and first 2 verses to Tom Wait's Reeperbahn without looking at the sheet music, though the execution needs to come on a lot still.

• Members

I spent mine browsing KSS and the EM forum at GS. Vacations are dangerous things, you know? There should be laws against them.

I was rather dismayed to discover my very first post at KSS is slated to be nuked by the transition over to 2.0.

Vaporized for all eternity. My maiden voyage among you shall become a mere memory... an echo dissipating into the great ether-net from whence I came.

Bummer.

• Members

I only had two extra days off. One of those was my birthday and we had a gig that was a blast. but I realized I really need a amp/powered speaker solution. I got a year end bonus but it's not enough to get anything good.

It is enough for a decent used synth module though..

Archived