Boston: Best lead tone ever?

ckreon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by lamppost

Bostons tone is awesome...i wish i could nail that or find an acurate list of his gear:love:

didn't the tom scholz design and make a lot of his own guitar gear like the rockman?

http://www.boston.org/tom.html

Here's a list of some of the other stuff he used.

http://www.boston.org/equipment.html

• Members

Bostons tone is awesome...i wish i could nail that or find an acurate list of his gear:love:

My friend has a Rockman (direct unit)...I used an Ibanez distortion pedal with it for more gain and it was almost the exact Boston tone.

I think the CD Hysteria by Def Leppard used Rockmans as well...

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman3001

didn't the tom scholz design and make a lot of his own guitar gear like the rockman?

Here's a list of some of the other stuff he used.

Yeah but all that rockman stuff isnt made anymore. The Rockman company went out of buisness. Its not really a #1 priority or anything to nail it...i prefer my own sound:thu: .

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

My friend has a Rockman (direct unit)...I used an Ibanez distortion pedal with it for more gain and it was almost the exact Boston tone.

I think the CD Hysteria by Def Leppard used Rockmans as well...

Yeah, ive got one of the old rockman rackmount stereo chorus/delays. By far my favorite peice of gear...I got it a couple years ago off ebay and its been in everyone of my rigs since.

• Members

I think you could get close to Tom Scholz's tone with a Les Paul with DiMarzio super distortions > a Marshall 100 watt plexi > a THD hot plate.

• Members
Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

Yeah, listen to "Hitch A Ride". That one tops my list.

Got goose bumps from the mere mention of that solo. Haven't heard it in a long time but spent many hours in my bedroom as a teenager playing along to that one! Might have to go break it out now! Thanks for the memories (and the mammaries in your avatar! :) ) What's the shirt say?

• Members

Originally posted by ckreon

i mean seriously...wow.

for what they do, it doesn't get better.

It was kind of over processed with analog effects so it sorta sounds good.

David Gilmour has one of the best lead tones, Pink Floyd era.

El Hefe from NOFX also has an amazing lead tone, Mesa Mark III w/no EQ. And so did the old guitarist, who used a Laney on the album "Ribbed".

Archived