Boston: Best lead tone ever?

ckreon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by bullhead

i guess it's a good tone if you like overly-processed and compressed to hell guitar sounds.

:thu:

It's super nasally too. It was unique and totally their own tone of course. In a cover band, I used to cock the wah in the middle and everyone used to say it sounded like it.

• Members
Originally posted by buddastrat

:thu:

It's super nasally too. It was unique and totally their own tone of course. In a cover band, I used to cock the wah in the middle and everyone used to say it sounded like it.

Yep,its pretty easy to get really close.

• Members

I like the guitar tone on Boston's first album. A great classic rock tone with good growling mids and a lot of warmth IMO.

I think some of you amp forum people are very picky about tone. I read comments like "over-processed" and "nasally".

I've read in other amp forum posts where guys didn't like Eric Johnsons tone.

It's all about "Splawn" and "Diezel", and "Voodoo mods" and "THD" and "Krank sucks"

You know what tone I hate? (not that anyone really cares).

I hate John Fruciante's tone! Thin, piercing cleans, nasty muddy distortion from boutique fuzz pedals... I don't like that.

And I hate when guys play blues with a Les Paul on the neck pickup through a Fender amp with mild overdrive. I don't like that.

But I like Tom Sholz guitar tone on Boston's first album.

• Members

When I think of tone here's a few that come to mind.

Mick Taylor-----CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING
Terry Kath------25 OR 6 TO 4
Elvin Bishop----FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE
Jackyl------------DOWN ON ME
Billy Rev---------BLUE JEAN BLUES
Duane Allman--STATESBORO BLUES

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Terry Kath------25 OR 6 TO 4

Elvin Bishop----FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE

Jackyl------------DOWN ON ME

Billy Rev---------BLUE JEAN BLUES

Duane Allman--STATESBORO BLUES

Those are good ones.

Also:

Aerosmith - -----walk this way

Molly Hatchet - -Dreams I'll never see

Judas Priest ----Screaming For Veangance CD

George Harrison - Something

I can't think of anymore right away but I'll list one of my favorite bass tones of all time:

Skynrd - Gimme 3 Steps.

I don't like that song but the bass tone on there is AWESOME!

• Members

see to me, its not nasally, as some of you has mentioned, but really smooth, and vocal like. I am speaking of their first album, which is by far the best IMO - I just think they really nailed their sound, you know sometimes leads sound out of place a bit, or forced, but not theirs.

• Members

Originally posted by lamppost

Yeah but all that rockman stuff isnt made anymore. The Rockman company went out of buisness. Its not really a #1 priority or anything to nail it...i prefer my own sound:thu: .

Yeah, ive got one of the old rockman rackmount stereo chorus/delays. By far my favorite peice of gear...I got it a couple years ago off ebay and its been in everyone of my rigs since.

I think MXR bought the technology or something. The MXR Smart Gate is essentially the Rockman Noise Gate unit in a stomp box.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

My friend has a Rockman (direct unit)...I used an Ibanez distortion pedal with it for more gain and it was almost the exact Boston tone.

I think the CD Hysteria by Def Leppard used Rockmans as well...

Def Leppard did use the Rockman Ace.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

+1000000

If you pan that song all the way to one direction you can hear it perfectly

I've always thought that was the best clean ever

Can someone give me an idea of the gear he is most likely using there?

• Members
Originally posted by dcooper830

I like the guitar tone on Boston's first album. A great classic rock tone with good growling mids and a lot of warmth IMO.

I think some of you amp forum people are very picky about tone. I read comments like "over-processed" and "nasally".

I've read in other amp forum posts where guys didn't like Eric Johnsons tone.

It's all about "Splawn" and "Diezel", and "Voodoo mods" and "THD" and "Krank sucks"

You know what tone I hate? (not that anyone really cares).

I hate John Fruciante's tone! Thin, piercing cleans, nasty muddy distortion from boutique fuzz pedals... I don't like that.

And I hate when guys play blues with a Les Paul on the neck pickup through a Fender amp with mild overdrive. I don't like that.

But I like Tom Sholz guitar tone on Boston's first album.

Amen!

If you don't like Boston's tone on their first album, I'm sorry, you don't know rock. If I remember correctly, that album is STILL the number 1 all time selling debut album!

That is still one of my all time favorite albums. That album really started me on wanting to learn to play (Iknow, I'm old - LOL).

Opinions are opinions, but come on, are some of you slamming Boston's tone just to be different?

It's like that Shallow Hal movie where Jason Alexander sees that super, super, super hot chick as a dog because one of her toes was longer than the next one.

Boston rocked!

I also love Aerosmith's first album, that "raw" guitar/amp tone was just too cool. I also enjoy hearing some of the studio "realness" in the tracks like someone laughing or a cough in the distance, etc. Just makes me invision them in the studio sippin' on some brews, smoking (whatever :D ) having a rockin' time and the reels are recording. If that makes any sense at all.

And yea, another vote for "Can't you hear me knockin' ", of course, someone will chime in with "that tone sucked too". :rolleyes:

• Members

Is this one of those I don't like "enter guitarist's name" threads?

Tom Scholtzhad a great tone, IMO. Definetly a signature sound...It can get old and give ear fatugue to me if I listen to loud or too long, but I think his tone and sound are very special and when his first album came out I had never heard a sound some big and full and unique.

Oh, and Page was sloppy, Hendix had no ear for tone, and The Beatles were mediocre.::freak:

Archived