What has happened to the US ??

favata5

• Members
Originally posted by potaetoes

not too far off - but mass production/mass consumerism began before WWII with Ford's production models and Keynes's welfare state and mass consumerism ideas, commonly referred to as the "Fordist/Keynesian Paradigm"

the bretton woods agreements after WWII established the western economic stranglehold on most of the world. the war certainly played a role, but in itself wasn't responsible for things being how they are. it essentially created the opportunity to implement the ideas that were already around. they would have been implemented some other way, in some other fashion, eventually.

Someone went to school.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by Towelie v2.0

The US got fat. It began with WWII when women became self sufficient from working in factories whilst the menfolk went off to war. After the war when the mens came back, they found their old ladies banging the strays next door. Married men tried to regain their households, but their wives had a shameless tatste of independence and the kids were fatherless and w/o structure for too long. America found itself in a newly boosted economy, and focus shifted away from traditional family life to modern materialism. Power and money were easily attainable in the new system, and drugs shifted the consciousness of abandoned American youth toward something instantly gratifying. The Age Of Aquarious finally gave young people the kind of escapism which allowed them to be completely free of traditional rules of society. A freedom which matured into the Rock N Roll excesses of the 1980's. In the wake of a newly realized disseases such as Herpes and Aids, along with an economy sucked dry by a previous generation of post-hippies and with morality at an all-time low, the youth of America gave way once again to complacency within existing social structures, and manifested itself as perhaps the most hopeless and apathetic generation in America to date; the 1990's. Music, particularly Rock N Roll of various types, was once the church of American Youth; full of energey, raw emotion, phylosphy, religion and the like, the groups they followed were unique identifiers of individuality. In the 90's, however, the lax sounds of women and acoustic ballads marked the finality of the golden years of America.

We've crested the glass mountain, now heading down the other side. We've become spoiled, complacent, apathetic, without individual voice, and above all, self-serving. Morality, common courtesy, faith in God and our fellow man - the value of the spoken word - have been replaced with television, SUV's, cell phones, the Internet and chat rooms. Personal character growth has been replaced with the sense that individual opinion doesn't matter, that there's no power in numbers, and that children are the true rulers of the households of parents too busy to guide them.

History most certainly repeats, and America will eventually prove to be its own demise. We're like the fattened calf heading for the slaughter.

(I might be off with a few things there).

I would agree with everything you said except the Christian horse{censored}.

If you need the threat of an all-seeing omniscient deity sending you to hell if you're bad in order to live your life as a decent person, then you've got bigger problems than non-christian worldviews.

Oh and I'd say most all of htose things you mention stem not from the war and feminism and hippies, but from the industrial revolution and the mass disenfranchisement of the urban poor. THe middle class is the only thing holding society in line right now and Bush seems to be doing all he can to make the middle class suffer lately.

(The tax cuts for the rich help this disparity between the rich and hte middle class and the massive debt he's putting on our shoulders is going to drag us down for several generations and that's assuming we turn it around now.)

• Members

The US got fat. It began with WWII when women became self sufficient from working in factories whilst the menfolk went off to war. After the war when the mens came back, they found their old ladies banging the strays next door. Married men tried to regain their households, but their wives had a shameless tatste of independence and the kids were fatherless and w/o structure for too long. America found itself in a newly boosted economy, and focus shifted away from traditional family life to modern materialism. Power and money were easily attainable in the new system, and drugs shifted the consciousness of abandoned American youth toward something instantly gratifying. The Age Of Aquarious finally gave young people the kind of escapism which allowed them to be completely free of traditional rules of society. A freedom which matured into the Rock N Roll excesses of the 1980's. In the wake of a newly realized disseases such as Herpes and Aids, along with an economy sucked dry by a previous generation of post-hippies and with morality at an all-time low, the youth of America gave way once again to complacency within existing social structures, and manifested itself as perhaps the most hopeless and apathetic generation in America to date; the 1990's. Music, particularly Rock N Roll of various types, was once the church of American Youth; full of energey, raw emotion, phylosphy, religion and the like, the groups they followed were unique identifiers of individuality. In the 90's, however, the lax sounds of women and acoustic ballads marked the finality of the golden years of America.

We've crested the glass mountain, now heading down the other side. We've become spoiled, complacent, apathetic, without individual voice, and above all, self-serving. Morality, common courtesy, faith in God and our fellow man - the value of the spoken word - have been replaced with television, SUV's, cell phones, the Internet and chat rooms. Personal character growth has been replaced with the sense that individual opinion doesn't matter, that there's no power in numbers, and that children are the true rulers of the households of parents too busy to guide them.

History most certainly repeats, and America will eventually prove to be its own demise. We're like the fattened calf heading for the slaughter.

Excellent post!

Don't understand what Dirtybird was talking about when he wrote this "I would agree with everything you said except the Christian horse{censored}." All you said was "faith in God"? Doesn't have to be Chistian and didn't really harp on religion.

• Members

Pretty good post man. Americans are born now with a great sense of entitlement. The homestead, vacation home, numerous cars, boats, and other toys are viewed as a birthright. This ain't the Waltons anymore.

"The old wisdom bourne out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on herladry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars. And so the people of Gondor fell into run. The line of kings failed. The white tree whithered. The rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men."

• Members
Originally posted by peehoo

Now we can get into different definitions and semantics here, but the bottom line IMHO is that those who believe in Christ are Christians. I have yet to hear a Catholic say that he is not Christian. Or a Protestant for that matter or an Orthodox... They all consider themselves Christians.

I could "consider" myself to be James Brown.

• Members

Hm, I'm sorry I really don't get this but am kinda interested in your points and understanding. Now i live in Europe and maybe we understand things a bit diferent here, so I would be grateful if you would explain who has the right to consider themselves Christian and why. Maybe also put it in some kind of historical and theological perspectve, because right now I really don't understand who has the exclusive rights to claim themselves "Christian" or where do those rights come from?!
Why are Catholics not Christian?:confused: ( I'm not sure you are saying that, if you're not than just ignore this last question...)

• Members
Originally posted by potaetoes

not too far off - but mass production/mass consumerism began before WWII with Ford's production models and Keynes's welfare state and mass consumerism ideas, commonly referred to as the "Fordist/Keynesian Paradigm"

the bretton woods agreements after WWII established the western economic stranglehold on most of the world. the war certainly played a role, but in itself wasn't responsible for things being how they are. it essentially created the opportunity to implement the ideas that were already around. they would have been implemented some other way, in some other fashion, eventually.

edit: forgot to say... yes, it will be the demise of our economic superiority, eventually. it's a boom-bust cycle, and with every subsequent boom and bust, the peaks and valleys get more extreme. eventually there will be a suicidal boom, and/or a bust that proves devastating enough that the system will essentially collapse, disintegrate, and be consumed by a different system. china is following a similar path that we did, only with a different mechanism for implementing it, and they're learning from our mistakes. in all likelihood they will achieve greater economic stability and a longer turn in the driver's seat than we have enjoyed. when the big players start evacuating the US economy, keep your eyes open. it's no coincidence that gates and buffett are beginning to orchestrate their withdrawals.

Nice commentary.

• Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I heard on the radio today you can't dface money, but you can burn a flag. Odd. .

Thats because you dont own the money. You own the wealth that that note represents but the federal government manufactured and owns the actual paper.

Way too long to explain but if you did the history of economics you'd understand. I think you'll get what im saying anyway.

I actually read this thread until i got to the bit about having sex with a cow. Ye lost me there :D

• Members
Originally posted by Lgehrig4

Excellent post!

Don't understand what Dirtybird was talking about when he wrote this "I would agree with everything you said except the Christian horse{censored}." All you said was "faith in God"? Doesn't have to be Chistian and didn't really harp on religion.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm talking about.

Faith or no faith in god has nothing to do with rampant materialism and the hyperbolic "decline" of western society.

Most criminals and urban trouble-makers believe in God too, you know.

• Members

Hm, I'm sorry I really don't get this but am kinda interested in your points and understanding. Now i live in Europe and maybe we understand things a bit diferent here, so I would be grateful if you would explain who has the right to consider themselves Christian and why. Maybe also put it in some kind of historical and theological perspectve, because right now I really don't understand who has the exclusive rights to claim themselves "Christian" or where do those rights come from?!

Why are Catholics not Christian?
:confused:
( I'm not sure you are saying that, if you're not than just ignore this last question...)

OK...I'll give it my best shot.

Being a Christian really has nothing to do with going to a certain chruch, or reading and memorizing the Bible, or saying a bunch of Hail Marys. It has nothing at all to do with any of this "outward appearance" that we normally associate with "religion" or "religious people." Remember that the Pharases we very religious men, and Jesus pretty much tore them a new one. For the purpose of discussion, consider that "religion" and "faith" are two different things. A man can be very "religious" and not come close to God at all. Being a Christian is about putting Jesus first in your life, NOT the church, the Virgin Mary, and not religious dogma.

A new Christian is "reborn" as they say when they accept that Jesus was the son of God, lived amoung man for a time, lived a perfect, sinless life and then was crucified and died on the cross for our sins, after which he rose again...but you already know this story I'd imagine. A Christian grows as they learn more about Jesus' nature and try to become more like him. Oh, and just because someone uses the phrase "born again" does not mean that they are directly referring the the "Born Again Christian" affiliation...different meanings.

The Old Testament isn't really invalid, it illustrates over and over again that man cannot save himself from death which is the penalty of sin...you know blood sacrifices and all the silly rules about diet and such? All of the OT is a demonstration over and over again that man cannot right himself with God on his own.

So back to the point...how can you tell if someone's a Christian or not? At a glance you can't. Anyone can claim to be anything. Anyone can believe themselves to be anything. A real Christian has a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, an intimate, trusting close relationship, and it's that that defines a Christian. The world is filled with liars and deceivers that have used the church and used God's name to manipulate others and to do evil, but God sees the heart and the soul, and in the end His judgement will prevail.

Christians read the Bible to learn more about God's nature. Just reading it and regurgitating a bunch of dogma is pointless.

• Members

Why are Catholics not Christian?
:confused:
( I'm not sure you are saying that, if you're not than just ignore this last question...)

The way I've always felt about it is that you have your denominational Christianities (Catholicism, Methodist, Lutheran, etc) who are carried down from some ancient point in time such as The Council of Nicea (in other words, "officially dubbed"), and then you have your anti-norm's like non-denominational Bible reading types ("Born Agains") who are generally without a system of appointed leadership, and then you have your cults such as Mormonism, Jehova's Witnesses, Christian Science, etc., who were founded in more recent times and based on the theologies of one or more people.

The only thing the above examples have in common is that they've all heard of Jesus Christ. That's about as much commonality as they all have.

• Members

I get the what you mean now... Semantics i would say... You were refering to faith, while i was to historical, structural whatever. So the bottom line is the different meaning of words, but the concepts behind them are the same and so on... I was afraid you were one of those "only MY church is true, obey it or be doomed" nuts:D

• Members
Originally posted by Savo

Thats because you dont own the money. You own the wealth that that note represents but the federal government manufactured and owns the actual paper.

Way too long to explain but if you did the history of economics you'd understand. I think you'll get what im saying anyway.

I actually read this thread until i got to the bit about having sex with a cow. Ye lost me there
:D

Yes...I understand. I never said I agreed with it.

I don't like aruguing somehting just becasue of it's position in the legal system. I put the issue up on it's own merits and don';t give a godamn what politicians think of it. IN other words..."ownership" of money or the flag isn't an issue for me. IS it right or wrong?...does it make sense? What's the purpose?

People FOR flag buring...or would not make a law against it anyway reort to "freedom of speech and expression"...and that is fine, but I disagree that that is the intent. People can express themsleves perfectly well without burning the flag.

I guess it depends on what the flag means to you. If you believe it represents the sacrifices of all those that brought it to life and maintained it, that it stands for freedom and a way of life, that people DIED so you could CHOOSE to burn it or not, you probably won't.

• Members
Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

OK...I'll give it my best shot.

Being a Christian really has nothing to do with going to a certain chruch, or reading and memorizing the Bible, or saying a bunch of Hail Marys. It has nothing at all to do with any of this "outward appearance" that we normally associate with "religion" or "religious people." Remember that the Pharases we very religious men, and Jesus pretty much tore them a new one. For the purpose of discussion, consider that "religion" and "faith" are two different things. A man can be very "religious" and not come close to God at all. Being a Christian is about putting Jesus first in your life, NOT the church, the Virgin Mary, and not religious dogma.

A new Christian is "reborn" as they say when they accept that Jesus was the son of God, lived amoung man for a time, lived a perfect, sinless life and then was crucified and died on the cross for our sins, after which he rose again...but you already know this story I'd imagine. A Christian grows as they learn more about Jesus' nature and try to become more like him. Oh, and just because someone uses the phrase "born again" does not mean that they are directly referring the the "Born Again Christian" affiliation...different meanings.

The Old Testament isn't really invalid, it illustrates over and over again that man cannot save himself from death which is the penalty of sin...you know blood sacrifices and all the silly rules about diet and such? All of the OT is a demonstration over and over again that man cannot right himself with God on his own.

So back to the point...how can you tell if someone's a Christian or not? At a glance you can't. Anyone can claim to be anything. Anyone can believe themselves to be anything. A real Christian has a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, an intimate, trusting close relationship, and it's that that defines a Christian. The world is filled with liars and deceivers that have used the church and used God's name to manipulate others and to do evil, but God sees the heart and the soul, and in the end His judgement will prevail.

Christians read the Bible to learn more about God's nature. Just reading it and regurgitating a bunch of dogma is pointless.

Good post.

• Members
Originally posted by Loghead

Is this a political or a religious thread?

I think this statement demonstrates part of the communication problem. People generally view 'religion' as being only 'faith' based and therefore separate and invalid from commentary dealing with social issues. The frustration on the part of the Christian or person of faith is scaling this communication barrier to demonstrate that his/her opinion although biblically based is VERY relevant to solving the social issues facing society. The non-Christian or person without faith believes that ANYTHING biblical isn't valid in secular society and should remain ONLY within the walls of a church.

Possible solution:

1) We all have preconceptions and worldviews (faith or non faith) and ideas about solving social issues. A biblical view should not be dismissed just because it's from the bible and a non-biblical view should not be dismissed just because it isn't in the bible....simple.

2) We aren't gonna agree on everything.

3) That's OK 'IF' we are seeking the common good for all, and our purpose is peace.

• Members
Originally posted by guitar shmoe

Possible solution:

1) We all have preconceptions and worldviews (faith or non faith) and ideas about solving social issues. A biblical view should not be dismissed just because it's from the bible and a non-biblical view should not be dismissed just because it isn't in the bible....simple.

No, it shouldn't be dismissed based on it's origin, but if it's counterproductive to the advancement of our modern society and an attempt to keep us from expanding our cultural horizons as a nation, then it should be dismissed.

A person who interprets the Bible as irrefutable law and will not budge on that concept should be ignored because their steadfast dedication to their faith makes it impossible for them to change. A person who is more faith-concious, but flexible on the terms of Biblical law will most likely present a more level-headed debate and is more willing to concede to ideas that make sense as opposed to hardliners who feel it should be God's way or the highway.

According to the Bible, God gave us free will to do with the world and our lives as we felt. If God was truly that adamant about keeping us in-line, he certainly wouldn't have given us free will.

2) We aren't gonna agree on everything.

Right.

3) That's OK 'IF' we are seeking the common good for all, and our purpose is peace.

If by we you're referring to agnostics/athiests and people of faith, then I suppose so. No peace can ever be found in limiting civil liberties and human rights though. People unwilling to expand their minds to accept new ways, cultures and ideas are the people who prevent peace from occuring. It doesn't matter if you believe in God or not, if you cannot accept change, then you will fight for your right to stay stubborn and ignorant.

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

No, it shouldn't be dismissed based on it's origin, but if it's counterproductive to the advancement of our modern society and an attempt to keep us from expanding our cultural horizons as a nation, then it should be dismissed.

A person who interprets the Bible as irrefutable law and will not budge on that concept should be ignored because their steadfast dedication to their faith makes it impossible for them to change. A person who is more faith-concious, but flexible on the terms of Biblical law will most likely present a more level-headed debate and is more willing to concede to ideas that make sense as opposed to hardliners who feel it should be God's way or the highway.

According to the Bible, God gave us free will to do with the world and our lives as we felt. If God was truly that adamant about keeping us in-line, he certainly wouldn't have given us free will.

1) Who appointed YOU authority over what is "counterproductive to modern society"? and what criteria do you use for your isoteric conclusions?

2) It is YOU that refuses to 'budge' when negotiating and discussing issues.

3) Free will is given, yes! but that we would use it for love and peace.... not selfish endeavors (and that does not mean we cannot defend ourselves from those that are murderous and self serving at the expense of others).

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm talking about.

Faith or no faith in god has nothing to do with rampant materialism and the hyperbolic "decline" of western society.

Most criminals and urban trouble-makers believe in God too, you know.

I think it does. Going through the motions, which is pretty much what most people do isn't faith in my opinion. Saying you believe because you're afraid not to believe, but then living life in ways contradictory to your religion is not faith. I think the faith was more genuine in the old days. I'm not religious and I'm only 37, but if you observe the way our elders practice their religions you will see much more dedication, sacrifice and deep seeded faith than you will with younger people (in general).

My grandmother is 86 and she lost her husband in 1965. She never remarried or dated because she says that she is still married. I have a friend who's late grandmother did the same. I'm Italian and he's Albanian so the cultures are different, but the results were the same. Lets see how many poeple show that kind of dedication these days.

• Members

1) Who appointed YOU authority over what is "counterproductive to modern society"? and what criteria do you use for your isoteric conclusions?

2) It is YOU that refuses to 'budge' when negotiating and discussing issues.

3) Free will is given, yes! but that we would use it for love and peace.... not selfish endeavors (and that does not mean we cannot defend ourselves from those that are murderous and self serving at the expense of others).

1. Did I say I was the authority? Life goes on and people gather more and more information over time. It's a natural occurance and no one can prevent that from happening as it's been tried in the past and has failed. The information people gather forces each of us to evaluate and re-evaluate our ever changing world. There are people who are afraid to grow and there are those who welcome growth with open arms. The world presents everyone with obstacles to overcome. Some are easy and some are very difficult, but the only way for people to move on is to overcome.

2. That's an assumption on your part. I'm following historical trends and using that as a basis of my opinion on the present and my assumptions of the future. Whether I agree with it or not is a moot point.

3. The hope is that we would not use it for selfish endeavors, but still selfish endeavors are undertaken daily by all. That's why forgiveness is in place, to remedy those who indulge in the daily sins of life. What I was saying was that if God were adamant about his law and his commandments, he wouldn't have given people free will. Free will is our gift to use as we see fit, yet people still insist that God means for us to live a certain way. I think God knows better than his subjects what he intended.

Besides, most Christians abide by double-standards all the time. Defending the sanctity of marriage when it comes to homosexual union, but doing nothing to oppose divorce. Why not take up legislation to ban divorce if the sanctity of marriage should be upheld? It's a double-standard that there is no getting around. What's good for one should be good for all, no?

Like I said before, this entire gay marriage ban debate is just a time-waster and in 20 years will be as relevent as debates over whether or not women deserve the right to vote. You can't stop progress.

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

1. Did I say I was the authority? Life goes on and people gather more and more information over time. It's a natural occurance and no one can prevent that from happening as it's been tried in the past and has failed. The information people gather forces each of us to evaluate and re-evaluate our ever changing world. There are people who are afraid to grow and there are those who welcome growth with open arms. The world presents everyone with obstacles to overcome. Some are easy and some are very difficult, but the only way for people to move on is to overcome.

2. That's an assumption on your part. I'm following historical trends and using that as a basis of my opinion on the present and my assumptions of the future. Whether I agree with it or not is a moot point.

3. The hope is that we would not use it for selfish endeavors, but still selfish endeavors are undertaken daily by all. That's why forgiveness is in place, to remedy those who indulge in the daily sins of life. What I was saying was that if God were adamant about his law and his commandments, he wouldn't have given people free will. Free will is our gift to use as we see fit, yet people still insist that God means for us to live a certain way. I think God knows better than his subjects what he intended.

Besides, most Christians abide by double-standards all the time. Defending the sanctity of marriage when it comes to homosexual union, but doing nothing to oppose divorce. Why not take up legislation to ban divorce if the sanctity of marriage should be upheld? It's a double-standard that there is no getting around. What's good for one should be good for all, no?

Like I said before, this entire gay marriage ban debate is just a time-waster and in 20 years will be as relevent as debates over whether or not women deserve the right to vote. You can't stop progress.

Well, if you don't believe in God, and Christianity has failed....who do YOU trust? What is your 'standard' for life choices? and, if we live in 'modern' times and society has 'evolved', then, how come things aren't better? How would YOU 'fix' society? (answer in order please)

• Members
Originally posted by Lgehrig4

I think it does. Going through the motions, which is pretty much what most people do isn't faith in my opinion. Saying you believe because you're afraid not to believe, but then living life in ways contradictory to your religion is not faith. I think the faith was more genuine in the old days. I'm not religious and I'm only 37, but if you observe the way our elders practice their religions you will see much more dedication, sacrifice and deep seeded faith than you will with younger people (in general).

My grandmother is 86 and she lost her husband in 1965. She never remarried or dated because she says that she is still married. I have a friend who's late grandmother did the same. I'm Italian and he's Albanian so the cultures are different, but the results were the same. Lets see how many poeple show that kind of dedication these days.

For people that 'claim' to be Christian the divorce rate is: 54%.....

For those that believe that the Bible is God's inerrant Word and absolutely true, the divorce rate is:
maybe there's something to that Bible :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

Regarding free will:

I suppose that God gave us free will because of the reasons for which he created us; love, worship, and companionship. To create is an act of love. Consider how valueless love and worship are unless they are given freely.

exactly. God gave us freewill so that our decisions have significance. We 'determine' our destiny per our decision making. We can 'choose' to love God or hate Him...or not believe He exists at all. God is not intimidated by unbelievers.

• Members

Well, if you don't believe in God,

Asssumption number 2

and Christianity has failed....

Failed........at..........??

who do YOU trust?

No one.

What is your 'standard' for life choices?

Standard for life choices? That sounds like something you'd here on The View or something.

and, if we live in 'modern' times and society has 'evolved', then, how come things aren't better?

Who said evolution makes things better? All evolution does is present new ideas and new problems. It's the course of life, it's not the path to utopia.

How would YOU 'fix' society? (answer in order please)

Does it need to be fixed?
Our society works it's problems out over time. I think the number one problem with most people today is that they want everything right now. I don't really understand that frame of mind anymore, however I used to be just like that. It was hard for me to accept the fact that I couldn't get what I wanted even though I applied myself in the areas I was supposed to and did the things I needed to do to acheive said things. It took me 10 years to realize that just because you work toward something doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Nothing in life is guaranteed, you just have to know how to relax, be patient and plan ahead for a better future......or perhaps that's just age talking. I don't know.

Our society isn't that bad. It's got it's ups and downs, but all in all everyone has the power within themselves to overcome and acheive. Goals are important. I guess If there was one thing I would do, it would be to impart onto the next generation a desire to set and acheive goals. Other than that, I'm not complaining.