I don't think Jimi cared about tone all that much

FWAxeIbanez

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by charlie13033

He was using 2 full marshall stacks, a fuzz tone, and a wah pedal -- thats it.

He was constantly adjusting the tone on his strat on every song. He also use the wah in different stationary positions to adjust his tone too.

You can't appreciate Jimi's sound without hearing him live. He literally made that guitar sing! I only imagine what he would be doing today if he were still alive!

It is too bad that drugs got the better of one of the greatest guitarists in history.

I like this statement...

the biggest thing I liked about Jimi is that he took BIG RISKS in live situations....he was ssssooooo creative minded that he wasn't too upset about being sloppy when it occured....yeah, you can see when he gets upset that his guitar goes out of tune when he abuses the vibrato bar...but, he is reaching for something BIGGER. He did alot with simple chords and basic scales...and sometimes his tone sucked (listen for the blown speaker cab in: Monterey...)

• Members

I guess you guys are missing what I'm trying to say... The tone is there, and its awesome, but it almost seems coincidental ... I'm sure he tweaks with his gear and stuff, but all the live stuff I've seen seems to be all about volume. Like thats where he finds his tone, in the sheer volume.

In the studio he obviously goes crazy dialing everything in perfectly, but I'd swear his live show was another story... I wish I could have been there to see it :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I guess you guys are missing what I'm trying to say... The tone is there, and its awesome, but it almost seems coincidental ... I'm sure he tweaks with his gear and stuff, but all the live stuff I've seen seems to be all about volume. Like thats where he finds his tone, in the sheer volume.

In the studio he obviously goes crazy dialing everything in perfectly, but I'd swear his live show was another story... I wish I could have been there to see it
:cry:

In this DVD I have of him, I laugh when he goes over to his amps.

You see him crank the volumes, then later, as if the amps aren't loud enough, he makes sure that they're on 10 or something.:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

No. I warned pinkvoid about MYK's habit of trying to piss people off, which he was clearly attempting to do.

how about just letting people say what they want and move on?....some of you guys act like little school girls....

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Yeah, but Marshalls get better as you crank them. So it makes sense. Marshall sound is IN the sheer volume.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Yeah, I'm a real prick. Thanks for noticing.

hahaha, naw man, you're cool... I'd just swear that lately you've asked yourself "what would MYK do?" or "Can I be sure I'll piss someone off with this?" before every post... Seems more like you are trying to up your post count more than anything else, because you're in all sorts of threads I wouldn't figure you to be into... not that I know you or anything, but I've been posting/lurking for awhile and when I dove in and really decided to contribute (hah, for lack of a better word) I recognized your name and the personality that normally came with it

• Members

I think that live shows in the mid to late sixties were far more chaotic than anything that happens today. You're on tour, time is short, everybody is stoned, some of the equipment doesn't work, there is far less equipment, the setup is for backline projection...it's amazing that anything ever worked as much as it did.

• Members

Yeah, but Marshalls get better as you crank them. So it makes sense. Marshall sound is IN the sheer volume.

I hear that... but when I go to an amp I make sure the mids, gain, highs, lows, and everything is set just perfect... His amps sound nothing like a delicate string of settings by careful thought process, they sound like they were dialed in so nothing would soundparticularly bad, and then loud as fizzuck

This dvd was for the Aisle of Wight or however you spell it concert, and it sounded like those amps where in the process of exploding

Maybe it was just an isolated incident, but I'd swear I've picked that up from over clips I've seen from live stuff too

• Members
Originally posted by -=MYK=-

something must have been wrong. he coulnd't even keep his guitar in tune.

:freak::idea::freak:

i know he was out of tune all the time

but yeah he did play on 10 all the time..maybe his ears were damaged from all that volume. i guess you can tune a guitar well if oyu can hear well

• Members

No. I warned pinkvoid about MYK's habit of trying to piss people off, which he was clearly attempting to do.

Myk = good people.

You = teenager with a girlfriend getting anal back in Cali while you post on Harmony Central. :wave:

Archived