I don't think Jimi cared about tone all that much

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I was just kinda thinkin about how everybody wants Jimi Hendrix's tone, and how to find it the other day after watching a DVD of him... He did sound pretty damn good, but it honestly sounded mainly to me that he wanted to sound loud... I'm sure he cared about his guitars and tested out plenty of marshalls and pedals and speakers and whatnot for his tone when it was time for fiddling around... but I really got the impression that it was supposed to be a giant wall of sound, and based more on delivery than sheer tone

Seems like a lot of bands were like that... I think of Cream that way too

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well considering the limited amount of options and how limited gear was then, they didnt have much choice.

But I think you're right AND wrong - Jimi probably just wanted to play, but he is notorious for being a perfectionist both in playing and the sound that went on the records and the effects he used.

• Members

jimi was a tone freak. i know for a fact he used to record things dozens of times until he was satisfied with the end result.

EDIT: he also engineered some parts of his amps. i read about it somewhere. If he was alive today, he would have received and honorary HCAF account.

• Members

Totally right about the options... thats still something I can't quite relate to that time period, I'm used to so many choices. But I gotta say it, I'm sure he was a tonefreak in the studio and in the offtime, but seriously, the man had 6 full stacks behind him. He sounded ridiculously loud on tape, the tone was in the sheer volume, sounded like they were gonna pop at any time

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Totally right about the options... thats still something I can't quite relate to that time period, I'm used to so many choices. But I gotta say it, I'm sure he was a tonefreak in the studio and in the offtime, but seriously, the man had 6 full stacks behind him. He sounded ridiculously loud on tape, the tone was in the sheer volume, sounded like they were gonna pop at any time

Well, he was very irritated when things went wrong live, many videos exist as a testament to this fact - and he called the show that produced the famous "Machine Gun" - get this - "mediocre".

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by pinkvoid

Isn't there something we can do againts trolling? like banning users or posting a troll-list?

MYK should be banned or at least warned, but unfortunately, the moderation here is {censored} at best.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

MYK should be banned or at least warned, but unfortunately, the moderation here is {censored} at best.

Whoa, I remember the gazillion page "Bring MYK back!" thread when he got banned... did the favor move over towards Tonemeister and his pointy finger and away from MYK already?!

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Whoa, I remember the gazillion page "Bring MYK back!" thread when he got banned... did the favor move over towards Tonemeister and his pointy finger and away from MYK already?!

MYK was never on topic but he wasnt really intentionally annoying or trying to get a rise out of people like he is now.

• Members
Originally posted by pinkvoid

Sure you can. Just press F4 every time you get the urge to post a new useless comment.

I just did it and nothing happened.

:mad:

I need to stop posting so many annoying useless comments. It irritates even me. :mad:

• Members

Where's Terje? Doesn't this guy fly in out of nowhere when ever somebody mentions playing really loud?

at least it'd get back on topic

and I gotta say, MYK is the same now as he's ever been to me... If anybody is intentionally getting peoples goats lately, its Bob Savage... have you noticed, the caustic sarcasm lately is not completely usual

Not tryin to start anything, Bob's great

Archived