I don't think Jimi cared about tone all that much

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I think Hendrix was trying to get the best sounds he could tonewise but I don't think he lost sleep over it like some of us here would.
He was too busy with other stuff like writing and recording. There, he could focus on it. The slide part in "All Along the Watchtower" is a great example of tone to me - hell the whole damn lead on it.
Probably alot to do with Eddie Kramer. I read an article where Eddie Kramer said something like "give me the basic sound and EQ will deliver the rest". In other words, basic amp, great hands, and studio magic.
On some of my 4-track recordings, I have totally changed the guitar through EQ to where nobody would ever guess it came from a certain amp.
But I think live, the sound of 3 cranked Plexi's couldn't sound bad;)
I have a friend who was at the Band of Gypsies Fillmore East performance and he said it didn't even sound like the recording. He said it was so loud he was almost sick:eek:
Enough rambling..... Hendrix liked good tone and worked to get it but not like we obsess about it today. IMO:thu:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

Interesting thread in any case.
:cool:

Glad you dug it... seems like he approached tone differently than we do. Like I said before, we tweak highs and lows and knobs and such... like we approach it via the frequencies we like where as he just seems to find amps that have certain frequencies naturally and cranks it... we tend to micro manage our frequencies where he definitely seems to be after the larger picture...

I'm still not explaining myself the way I'd like, but I feel like I'm getting closer, yeah?

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

See, I have to quote and point this out again... Not a single person said he had bad tone, and no one at all is slinging mud... I can't help but wonder what thread you actually read because it sure as hell wasn't this one

Alright,I may have indeed jumped the gun on this one.It's just that Hendrix commonly requires defending,here at amps.Upon closer examination I see your point,yea he could get pretty ringy at times.And,although he generally ran his backline as a PA for his fuzz-tones,by shows end he'd crank everything into a migrainfest.Acidrock,decadent excess.All in demented fun.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Seems like a lot of bands were like that... I think of Cream that way too

I disagree with that one.

Yes Cream wanted to be loud but they didn't have decent PA's back then so loud was par for the course. Also, to get some sustain and crunch from those realy Marshalls, you had to crank the piss out of them.

Clapton was a tone freak, especially in the Cream days and before. He's the one that came up with his patented "Woman Tone", which consists of rolling back his Tone knob on his LesPaul 0. The solo on "Sunshine Of Your Love" is a good example of that.

If you can, watch the Cream DVD about their original final performance at the Royal Albert Hall in 1968. In the middle of the DVD, they interview Clapton and he talks about his tone. He plays some licks on his SG and his tone is to die for.

I think Clapton was the first real tone freak. Then he went to Fender Strats and in my opinion, his tone went downhill after that. My favorite Clapton tone and playing comes from his days in Cream and in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Archived