Don't laugh - What amps did Stryper use??

tele_jas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by gainfreak

I spoke to Michael sweet and oz fox though e-mails and live and in person at the Stryper expo. Peace!!

There's a Stryper Expo??? :eek::D

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

No laughing here!

Great tone and playing. Ilove the harmonies!

I think Night Ranger and Stryper were great...even if spurned by tough-metal guys.

Maybe I should get one of those old Mesa's after all.
:o

LOL...Good to see some Stryper Love on this forum!!!! Come On Rock ...is a seriously rockin' tune!!

I loved Night Ranger's first 3 albums too - quick soapbox moment - why is it that I can find some of the most obscure tab in the world - I mean ...elton john is tabbed for guitar.... but try to find some accurate Night Ranger tab - and you're up {censored} creek. Maybe 4 songs...?? Anyway...Back to Stryper..... I'm pretty sure they were playing Splawns... :thu::eek:

• Members

I love Stryper. Great sounds, leads, harmonized lines. I digged the vocals as well. Wasn't all too thrilled with every song being about God but that's okay, the music was cool. Cool ballads as well. My fav album is probably Soldier Under Command.

TU BE, cool clip.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Holy old thread batman.

They had great tone. Their lead guitar harmonies are killer too.

I remember when a freind of mine brought over some tapes to listen to, I was blown away by the guitar sound and knew right then and there I wanted to play guitar.

• Members
Stryper was one of my favorite bands in the 80's and I'm not affraid to admit it lol
:D

As far as their tone goes, It depends on what album you are talking about.

The Yellow and black attack was a Modded marshall with a graphic eq before the amp.

The Soldiers album up until To hell with the Devil was a Mesa boogie MkIIC and a furman PQ3 parametric eq before the amp. The EQ is what gave them their sound. The furman boosted up the gain by +26db. They boosted the mids at a narrow bandwidth, cut some lows and boosted up the highs. The graphic eq on the Boogie was set in a v pattern.

The In God we trust album was a Mesa Quad and a strategy 400 Poweramp modded by Randall smith at boogie for more bottom end and they used the furman Pq3 before the Preamp.

Their last studio album before the breakup ( against the law) Was just the MKIIC straight into a boogie half back cab.

They used EV speakers for all of their albums accept the first one.

The EV loaded boogie cab was rated for 800 watts! (just like zakk wylde although he loaded the ev's in a marshall cab)

I have that old Stryper tone in spades and it is a fun sound to play around with!!

I can confirm that you are correct about the Furman PQ-3. I spoke with Oz about that subject through email last year. We just talked about the parametric though and I never asked him any questions about his amps. I've heard that Dimebag got the idea to use the Furman from listening to Oz's tone but who knows if that is actually true or not. I have an original PQ-3 and it definately can boost the hell out of your front end if you run it that way. I use it in my effects loop for final tonal shaping. They are real killer units.

• Members

I always considered them a "second-tier" Hair Metal band. Still do. Fun to listen to, but for me, definitely not on par with the front runners of the genre. Sort of a "Britney Fox that hands out Bibles" band.

They were better, musically, than just about any other hair metal band of their time. I still enjoy the music to this day. The tones and phrasing on To Hell with the Devil are one of the reasons I play guitar today.

• Members

Now that you're done laughing...... I was listening to my old 80s mp3's right after Poison and Warrent came Stryper and their guitar tone was AMAZING and even sounded huge compared to some of today's tones. Songs like "Soldiers under Command" and "In God We Trust".

What amps did they use? I was guessing JCM800's, but that was also the time of big racks and I know they had eventinde (sp) harmonizers in there rig.

How??

They used a Mesa/Boogie MarkII amp, with an EQ pedal set to boost 1.6kHz.

• Members

I always considered them a "second-tier" Hair Metal band. Still do. Fun to listen to, but for me, definitely not on par with the front runners of the genre. Sort of a "Britney Fox that hands out Bibles" band.

Stryper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Britney Fox

I always considered Britney fox to be a 2nd tier cinderella.

Stryper was alot heavier than most of their peers, if you didn't count those crappy unpower ballads.

• Members

They used a Mesa/Boogie MarkII amp, with an EQ pedal set to boost 1.6kHz.

Holy Old thread!!

Actually it was a MKIIC amp and a furman parametric EQ. The freequencies boosted depended upon what album we are talking about and where the Graphic EQ was set on the Boogie.

Archived