Don't laugh - What amps did Stryper use??

tele_jas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stryper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Britney Fox

I always considered Britney fox to be a 2nd tier cinderella.

Stryper was alot heavier than most of their peers, if you didn't count those crappy unpower ballads.

With all the love on here maybe I'll check 'em out again... They're on Rhapsody so maybe I'll listen to a couple of albums this afternoon at work.

FWIW, I do *like* Britney Fox and Stryper (they are hair bands after all! ;) )... but always considered them an also ran compared to a Ratt, Dokken, Crue, etc. I agree that stylistically BF is definitely Cinderella-esque. ;) I was kind of referring to their positional ranking in my mind when all of this was new and hip...

FWIW, I consider Tesla second tier, too, but lots of die hard Hair metal fans worship the ground Tesla walks on and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority opinion there. So, that probably blows my credibility with the "faithful" anyway. ;)

As a result of hanging out here, I've managed to pick up on or fully appreciate some "under the radar screen at the time" (i.e. second or third tier type bands who may have had one or two hits or less) hair bands that probably would have been too derivative sounding to really be a fanboy of when Hair Metal was hot and everyone was playing it but are now pretty cool/fresh sounding due to the fact that there's not this incoming rush of new stuff.

Rhapsody and the internet streaming radio stuff has been great for this.

• Members

I saw Stryper at Alpine Valley, Wi, back in the late 80's (with Loudness and one other band). I thought they had great tone, but each Album the vocals got higher and higher as if they tightened the vice on Sweet's balls each recording session. I thought it was a pretty good show, but the two things I remember most were:

1) Some broad in the first row getting smashed in the head when they threw the bibles into the crowd. She went down like a tone of bricks.

2) There were about 4 people in the beer garden, me and a buddy and two other dudes. I got a few really strange looks as I stumbled around in between Loudness and Stryper.

• Members

Holy Old thread!!

Actually it was a MKIIC amp and a furman parametric EQ. The freequencies boosted depended upon what album we are talking about and where the Graphic EQ was set on the Boogie.

You mentioned you get thier tones easily above.

Is that with the PQ through your Mark IV???????

• Members

You mentioned you get thier tones easily above.

Is that with the PQ through your Mark IV???????

Yes, I can get that sound with any of the Mark series boogies from the IIC to the IV. (all the older Boogs need the graphic eq. They were optional back then)

The real secret to the Stryper tone is slamming the front end of the boogie Mark series with the PQ3.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

They're back!!

Ok, so I downloaded (legally) "The Covering" by Stryper..... and it FREAKIN' ROCKS!! And once again, their tone kills! I seen a Facebook post where they said the Mark V was killing in the studio, but around that time they got endorsed by Line 6 and were using the DT50 amps (which are Line 6's best sounding amps BTW).

So I'm wondering what amps were used on "The Covering"... Mesa, Line 6 or both?

• Members

I could live without the whole message thing, and the whole throwing bibles out in concert, but I saw them live once, and message aside, they're a talented {censored}ing band that puts on a really good show. They can all sing their asses off, (if you actually like singing as opposed to screaming and growling :o) and wrote some killer riffs.

Tone was pretty standard 80s fare, and they had Mesas off to the side of the stage when I saw them, which was in like '88 I think.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

This great thread needs a bump. Just got done listening to "To Hell With the Devil". Going to get me a Furman EQ.

Also, I have a 1992 Jackson RR with the built in boost. It is very good at getting the Stryper tone. Maybe that was on purpose?

I haven't been on HC for ages. Feel free to flame me for bringing up a necro-thread. At least I'll know this place isn't dead.

• 2 years later...

Archived