This Video is Fucking Ridiculous......(norma jean)

Chrisjd

• Members

Originally posted by TomVanDeven

This guys got it. (nice video by the way, I like how they set up the guitar cabinets on the left hand side, very cool).

So many people get bashed for just doing what they want to do, its pathetic. Someone out there likes it obviously, they're working hard to get where they want to be and be heard by the world.

Most any band or artist that has the BALLS to do that and not just go "oh yeah.. we can be in a band but we can't practice this day and this day cause...", I can at least find respect for. These guys are all committed to doing what they love and in turn are getting love back for it, thats fantastic stuff.

Any touring band would know that its a helluva lot better to get out there and play what YOU want to play rather than knock up some chick, sit at home with your guitar on your lap and piss and moan about the other guys out there doing their thing because you never got the chance.

Morons.

Another very valid point. Finally some intelligence in this thread.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TomVanDeven

This guys got it. (nice video by the way, I like how they set up the guitar cabinets on the left hand side, very cool).

So many people get bashed for just doing what they want to do, its pathetic. Someone out there likes it obviously, they're working hard to get where they want to be and be heard by the world.

Most any band or artist that has the BALLS to do that and not just go "oh yeah.. we can be in a band but we can't practice this day and this day cause...", I can at least find respect for. These guys are all committed to doing what they love and in turn are getting love back for it, thats fantastic stuff.

Any touring band would know that its a helluva lot better to get out there and play what YOU want to play rather than knock up some chick, sit at home with your guitar on your lap and piss and moan about the other guys out there doing their thing because you never got the chance.

Morons.

Yeah, I can clearly see a lot of love coming back from that audience

Giga.

• Members

I cant watch the video because Im at work, but, I think I know what everyone is talking about ha. Is that the video from Hellfest 2003??? If it was, that performance is horrible!!
But, not like saying this will defend the band or anything, but, that singer was a guy that filled in for like 2 tours.

Their current singer, who used to play guitar in Living Sacrifice (amazing), is 235098750 times better.

Nice guys, mediocre band :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Meatbeard

I cant watch the video because Im at work, but, I think I know what everyone is talking about ha. Is that the video from Hellfest 2003??? If it was, that performance is horrible!!

But, not like saying this will defend the band or anything, but, that singer was a guy that filled in for like 2 tours.

Their current singer, who used to play guitar in Living Sacrifice (amazing), is 235098750 times better.

Nice guys, mediocre band
:thu:

No, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikxl4pCv5N4

Is the hellfest vid. The one they're talking about is I think a Kansas City somethingsomething one.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

No, this:

Is the hellfest vid. The one they're talking about is I think a Kansas City somethingsomething one.

ahh O.k.

If it's that singer who filled in that looks like he could be Marilyn Manson's son, its going to awful no matter where he is ha.

I was watching Shai Hulud and Stretch Arm Strong here and Houston at a venue, and they were playing across the street. I had never really heard their music, so, I walked over to check it out. As soon as I walked in, that singer was getting a pie thrown in his face ha ha. It was hilarious. I felt kind of bad for him actually. Come to find out, it was his birthday.

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

But whatever, bash it because you can't understand it. Even Stravinsky started a riot with the debut of Rites of Spring.

Wow.

First you went with the tried'n'true "YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!", then you went and compared Norma Jean to Stravinsky.

YOOOOOO WINNNNN.

• Members
Originally posted by Rodimus Prime

wait you guys, maybe you're misinterpreting norma jean.

i think it's more of an abstract performance piece, if you think of it like that and not exactly music then maybe you can appreciate it.

:freak::D:bor:

Scrodimus!!!

Hows it hanging bro???

xgx

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

btw, Norma Jean is not the only band that does that kind of over the top performing style - a lot of Christian/Straight edge and post-90's hXc bands like Further Seems Forever it's part of hardcore.

But whatever, bash it because you can't understand it. Even Stravinsky started a riot with the debut of Rites of Spring.

Personally, anything that pisses off the screeching morons, I like.

Are you seriously bringing up Further Seems Forever and comparing them to Snore-ma Jean? Since when is Further Seems Forever or Norma Jean hardcore?

Yeah, a huge similarity...

I'll just forget that you compared them to Stravinsky.

• Members

Originally posted by Moshaholic

Scrodimus!!!

Hows it hanging bro???

xgx

Scrodimus? HA! nice one.

things are good g. i know you hate them and are wildly again it but i picked up a minty fresh F50 combo and i'm lovin' it. for what i do i mean. like its got great crunch. i def prefer it to my old jcm2000 and my replaced fender deville 4x10 with a tonebone for gain.

thats it man. don't want to troll this thread.

i saw NJ in concert back when they were called The Ludicriss. smae sort of stuff but with a different singer. he climbed up a stack of house speakers, jumped off and limped away. most people laughed.

• Members

Someone posted this exact same video a while back, and it of course stirred up the same reactions on both sides.

I've heard some of their other stuff as well, and honestly it's just not my thing. But I don't think they necessarily suck. Let me try to explain:

I don't think this particular song is even meant to be a "song" persay, because there's really nothing "musical" about it. It's more like performance art with a heavy noise back-drop. I think they're just trying to express themselves in the most non-traditional way they can within the context of a rock band (guitar, bass, drums, singer/frontman) -- it's seems pretty calculated and in a way almost tongue in cheek. I think they welcome all reactions both positive and negative -- They just want a reaction. I think this is more indicative of what one of their "songs" sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S316xiCqFW4

Like I said I'm not into this kind of stuff, the constant screamo style vocals wears on me really quick. But at the same time I can appreciate them from the standpoint of "pushing the boundries" of rock music. It's been shown throughout history that rock music doesn't necessarily have to be played with perfect melody, technique or leveraged off proper theory, etc. It's rock 'n' roll for christsakes, and attitude and energy are a big part of it.

Archived