The 'Gigging With Little Amps' Thread

Vanny

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

I cannot see anyone using a Pro Junior for a gig without mic'ing it. How does that work? Smallest Fender I would ever use is the Blues Jr.

And I dont think I would try doing an un-mic'd gig with anything less than 12 inch speakers. A single 10 inch un-mic'd just would never cut thru enough

Cut thru is exactly what it DOES! It sits really nice in the mix that you never feel your being stepped on. The Blues Jr doesn't have anything on the Pro Jr, so you'd definately be better off with the pro. Better tone and response, and smaller, yet bigger sound!

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzbox

Cut thru is exactly what it DOES! It sits really nice in the mix that you never feel your being stepped on. The Blues Jr doesn't have anything on the Pro Jr, so you'd definately be better off with the pro. Better tone and response, and smaller, yet bigger sound!

How many watts is the Pro junior?

• Members

Originally posted by Vanny

I prefer the tone of the Pro Jr to the Blues Jr and it's even smaller....I recommend getting the Tweed version, it has a much better stock speaker in it.

I use it for small gigs sometimes...you need to angle it at your head a bit...takes pedals really well, it's about 15 -18 watts. It can work with a band that's not too loud...just throw a mic on it.

• Members

it's 15 watts, and with different speaker you can also get more clean headroom if you need. i have the usa made tweed w/ blue alnico and i think it breaks up a little later than the current ones that has a ceramic speaker!

• Members

I did a gig once, in this community center with glass and concrete walls. This was the worst acoustics you could ever run into and the room wasn't that big. So I used a pair of 15w VOX Pathfinders with one of them connected to the board from it's line-out jack. That worked out really good. Our drummer used electronic drums through his own monitors.

As for those heavier gigs, I went and got a hand truck that can handle anything. As long as I don't have to go up any stairs I'm OK.

• Members

I've done many a gig with just a tweed Pro Junior. Most of the time now I use a Reverend Hellhound head in UK/40 watt mode thru a 1X12 cabinet. We usually mic through the PA but in smaller rooms the Pro Junior or the Rev are just fine unmic'd. I have no idea why anyone would still want to carry around a heavy PITA stack or half stack. My God, even a 2X12 cabinet pushed by 40 watts is brutally loud. Oh well, I am 44........

• Members
Originally posted by Daddyof2

I've done many a gig with just a tweed Pro Junior. Most of the time now I use a Reverend Hellhound head in UK/40 watt mode thru a 1X12 cabinet. We usually mic through the PA but in smaller rooms the Pro Junior or the Rev are just fine unmic'd. I have no idea why anyone would still want to carry around a heavy PITA stack or half stack. My God, even a 2X12 cabinet pushed by 40 watts is brutally loud. Oh well, I am 44........

haha...i know what you mean! small amps are probably not a healthy discussion on the HC forum...it's sort of leaning towards loud metal here!

• Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

I'm going to rehearsal constantly with the VHT Super 30. Absolutely fantastic amp.

I'm with you on that, not many people have them, but I have had one for about a year and it's a great amp, and can easily push a bigger cabinet if you need it to.

• Members

Who here doesn't like carrying a combo that weighs over 50 lbs? Or even a heavy half stack?-even though I don't have a half stack. Anyone prefer a small grab and go amp so that you can head to a show and pack up easily?

Who is gigging with a small 20-30 watt tube amp in an actual band with drums, bass and even another guitar?

Name amp and type of music you play!

GO!

I gig with an Irish traditional / classic rock cover band ( :freak: ), and I use either a Trace Elliot Bonnevile 1x12 combo, or a Crate V3112. I still carry a pedalboard, so it's not entirely "grab & go," but the Crate is 30 watts, and I run the B'ville on triode mode at c. 25 watts. We've got two guitarists, keys, bass, drums, additional acoustic guitar, harmonica, pipes & flutes, & banjo (you heard me!), so it's not a "stripped down" sound.

And we also don't have a PA. :mad: So it's amp-volume from the stage & I still get heard pretty good. :thu:;)

• Members

My SF Deluxe Reverb is my go to gig amp, though I do play mostly mellower classic rock and jam band stuff. Despite 4-7 people on stage w/ a big gretsch kit and bass ful stack (4x10 and 1x15), our stage volume is pretty low (thank god), so I never really go much beyond 5-6 on the SFDR, and try to mic whenever possible. My backup is a Classic 30.

If I'm at a large club or outside gig and micing is not an option, out comes the SF Super Reverb or my 67 bassman w/ 2x12 cab.

• Members

Who here doesn't like carrying a combo that weighs over 50 lbs? Or even a heavy half stack?-even though I don't have a half stack. Anyone prefer a small grab and go amp so that you can head to a show and pack up easily?

Who is gigging with a small 20-30 watt tube amp in an actual band with drums, bass and even another guitar?

GO!

I've gigged a lot with 15-40 watt tube heads. Usually with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, though.

• Members

Originally posted by draelyc

I gig with an Irish traditional / classic rock cover band (
:freak:
), and I use either a Trace Elliot Bonnevile 1x12 combo, or a Crate V3112. I still carry a pedalboard, so it's not entirely "grab & go," but the Crate is 30 watts, and I run the B'ville on triode mode at c. 25 watts. We've got two guitarists, keys, bass, drums, additional acoustic guitar, harmonica, pipes & flutes, & banjo (you heard me!), so it's not a "stripped down" sound.

And we also don't have a PA.
:mad:
So it's amp-volume from the stage & I still get heard pretty good.
:thu:;)

Wow, you have a pretty big band. :)

I guess if you have a modeler like a Pod or a few pedals, that can be considered as grab and go. Like anything that is convenient and not much hassle.

• Members

I just used a Traynor YC50...which is rated at 50 watts...but seems more like 30-40 Fender watts....for some reason. Alos use a Tonelab SE (preamps up the volume from straight in).

I got buried but this was a {censored}ed up show. Small room....Vocals and kick mic'd, small monitors but PA system BEHIND the band, amps on the floor beside the ankles.

About the worst case scenario you could POSSIBLY get andwell...I DID survive. HAd some dopey bitch ask me to turn down...how she picked ME, the guy with the smallest amp I'll never know.

I wished I had my old Twin, but I would use this "small" amp again. I wuold try to get it up off the floor more, but honestly there wasn't even much room for THAT. It was just a case that almost any amp would not have been ideal...possibly a 2x12 combo.cab would have been closest.

I Am thinking about changing out the V30. The amp has a "boxiness" that I have never heard in another combo, so I know it's not just that. I have a couple EV12L's that I have used in smaller combos that really give the amp some bottom end oomph. I might try it here. I think it could be just what this amp needs.

I really reallly like using combos....preferably my twin. I like the space and spread. I don't need low end bass chunk. I like having the sound spread everywhere around the stage. Its livelier and more...realistic(?) to me. No way would I use 4 amps and huge rack or whatever. People don;t give two {censored}s, and if you're good, you can MAKE it all sound good, even with a "little" amp and a tonelab. (Yes...I DO need a little flexibility)

• Members

Hey guys,

My grab & go amp:

OmegaAmpsmoddedHotRodDeluxe.jpg

RearofOmegaAmpsmoddedHotRodDeluxe.jpg

My Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe w/ an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker. I use the footswitch for channel switching and Visual Sound H2O pedal for chorus/echo. This amp has seen a lot of action lately in my blues/classic rock gigs.

Guitar George

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I gigged for years in pretty big rock clubs with 50/100 watt heads + 4x12 cabs. Never got to turn them above 2! A Marshall on 2 doesn't sound too great.... and a Marshall on 8 or 9 kills everyone in the audience, even at larger venues (1100 to 2000 seaters).

I've been playing a small vintage 1x12 EL84 amp and a Fender Blues Junior (in stereo) lately and have never sounded better live- the soundmen are happy because they can finally put the guitar amps through the mix and let the PA do it's job. Small amps are the way to go unless you need massive amounts of clean headroom, which is unlikely.

As a guitar player one must face the truth, WE ARE TOO LOUD! Most people (except for other musicians) don't have a clue about tone (which is fine, they don't need to), they are listening to the music as a whole, and most likely are only paying attention to the singer while feeling the chord progressions and groove via the bass player. Obviously they'll notice if something sounds horrible, but other than an occasional guitar solo (maybe), you're lucky if they even remember your band name!

• Members

My Matamp 1224 is 28W - 4xEL34s, but it self-biasing, so the power is lower than a 4xEL34 Marshall or whatever.

I play heavy rock - think Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Clutch....

I play with it turned up full through either my 2x12" or whatever cab is at the gig (1x12" - 4x12").

Sits perfectly in the mix. I never worry about volume.

With the OD off, I get a breaking up clean that sounds awesome. I'm not into "clean" clean sounds.

• Members

GO!

I've done a lot of gigs with a 20 watt head and 2x12 or 4x12 cab. My 4x12 cabs only weigh about 60lbs, or just a hair under that. Compared to 160lb subs, 150lb amp racks, etc,any guitar amp seems small.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Stage volume should be consistent regardless of how much PA there is. Mine has about 9000 watts for FOH.

I am still surprised you have AND use such a system.

IN the two areas I have lived and played...there's no need for that, unless you are doing sound in a professional aspect, like as a company.

The places I have played (for 25 years) are either small enough to have two tops.subs and about 1000 watts, OR for the bigger places already have their own house system.

The exception would be corp gigs and weddings. Than I totally see the need.

• Members
Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I am still surprised you have AND use such a system.

IN the two areas I have lived and played...there's no need for that, unless you are doing sound in a professional aspect, like as a company.

The places I have played (for 25 years) are either small enough to have two tops.subs and about 1000 watts, OR for the bigger places already have their own house system.

The exception would be corp gigs and weddings. Than I totally see the need.

I have it set up to be versatile. For about 1/2 of our gigs it is overkill. For most of the others,it is about right. For a few, it is undermanned. But I have a trailer to bring extra subs and different longerthrow top cabs. And yes, we want to sound like a mini-concert. Not earbleedingly loud, just big and full. We get compliments all the time about how huge we sound, especially for being a 3-piece band.

Archived