April new gear thread

pogo97

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JUST Got this: TC-Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-M

1600-VTHarmonyM_front.jpg

Very nice. A little robotic. He needs a little transparent verb/delay and less of the harmony effect. Maybe cut back on the pitch corrector just a bit. BUT OVERALL, very cool. That could come in handy in my cover band, for overdubbing leads. such as "Poison Every Rose".

• Members

Just won an auction yesterday for a Virus B desktop, so it should hopefully be here in a week or so.

Once it comes in, it will be time for the big showdown between it and my Blofeld. I can only afford to keep on. I have a suspicion the Virus will win. I really really like the Blofeld...if I were someone else making a slightly different style of music. It is amazing, but perhaps a different cup of tea than what I am looking for. I can't wait to try them against each other.

• Members

Just won an auction yesterday for a Virus B desktop, so it should hopefully be here in a week or so.

Once it comes in, it will be time for the big showdown between it and my Blofeld. I can only afford to keep on. I have a suspicion the Virus will win. I really really like the Blofeld...if I were someone else making a slightly different style of music. It is amazing, but perhaps a different cup of tea than what I am looking for. I can't wait to try them against each other.

Wooooo

Will you document every step of the battle for us? :) It will make for interesting reading (and hopefully, listening!).

• Members
Wooooo

Will you document every step of the battle for us?
:)
It will make for interesting reading (and hopefully, listening!).

I will definitely report in after sufficient time for the two to square off.

So far, after about a month and a half with the Blofeld, I can definitively say:
(a) It is an excellent synth. For the price I paid for the desktop version used, it is a steal. The matrix system for tweaking parameters is very intuitive and quick to learn. Sounds are excellent.

and (b) I don't know if it is an excellent synth for me. The Blofeld definitely sounds like...a Blofeld. I'm probably not enough of a synth veteran to be able to accurately summarize what my hesitation is with it. To me, it seems like the perfect synth to use if you were making...darker (?) music, less happy-pop type stuff. If you were in a NIN cover band I would think you'd be in hog heaven. The Blofeld does all kinds of noises, chirps, screeches, groans, that kind of stuff. Now, it definitely ranges into VA-type terrain as well...there are supersaws, warmer pads, that kinds of thing...but they all seem like they have a "Blofeld" flavor to them. That would probably be perfect for a lot of music styles. For me, playing mainly in a church context, we don't really often venture into music that you could classify as "dark," "troubled," etc. That's why I am predicting that the Virus will work better for my purposes.

• Members
Funny, one of more common complaints I've heard of the Virus line is that they sound dark and troubled.
:lol:
Personally, I don't think that's an innate characteristic, it's just how lots of the presets are programmed.

I may well find that out during my shootout of the two. I confess, with a lot less time free to devote to music than I would like, I tend to be too dependent on presets.

Maybe I'll end up concluding that I need something altogether much "lighter" or "happier," and just dust off my DX7 and use exclusively the famous "Fulltines" patch on it.:idk: Sappy 80s love songs using it were light and happy, if nothing else.

• Members

The C is the darker.. ironically it's been said that the TI was based on the A. However, the A,B and Ti all share the same sonic range, more or less and I don't think they share the 'dark' feel.

You may find that the B and the Blofeld may cover much the same range. I don't think that the blofeld sounds dark at all, if Largo is any example. Although it may have a touch of the "digital darkness" that seems to come from wavetable synths.

If you have vanguard and used it to any extent, you'll have a good idea of what the B sounds like.

• Members

If you have vanguard and used it to any extent, you'll have a good idea of what the B sounds like.

I had heard this before. Actually what made me start looking for a B. I have been using Vanguard heavily. I wanted to get a B though b/c (a) I would much rather use hardware live than a softsynth and (b) general opinion seems to be that the B is just more/better than Vanguard.

As far as all of the hard and soft synths I have tried to date, Vanguard has thus far been of the most use to me.

• Members

typically the hardware is going to be better than the software :lol:

however, if you wish to extend the life of vanguard, i'd say to find a good quality reverb and delay plug in and turn off the internals on vanguard. if you download the latest update, the oscillators have been provided by tone 2 and IMHO it sounds much better, quality wise.

• Members

As some of you guys know, I use a Carvin PA system for my keyboards and it works quite well, but it is a pain in the nuts to have to move that around when I go rehearse with other small projects I'm involved with.

So I bought a small combo amp with a horn and 15 inch woofer. I got a great deal on it, easy to cart around and it's built like a tank:

Just got it home and am testing it out with the PC3x and it sounds great!

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=9&cat=57&id=377

IMG_1609.jpg

• Members

Until the end of this month, EastWest has their big two-for-one special going on. I'd been flirting with Hollywood Strings for a while, and it's price finally went below a grand. And I added the Stormdrum 2 Extended Bundle for free. Even though East/West is walking distance from my house (actually, the FedEx office it ships through is farther than the EW offices), it'll take roughly a week to get here.
66240_p.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyoR5osoAk
X777ANA-1.jpg

• Members

Yes Yes!!!. But I want to use photos from my desktop. It says you can. I have a MAC. Is there something I can do differently or do I need to pull all my photos from the internet, which I have been struggling with this whole URL thing as well. It is embarrassing.

Archived