• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:thu:

yeah, this thing rocks! i've just barely begun to use it (and haven't even updated it to v1.6 yet), but i can already see how powerful and easy to use it is. i've thought several times over the years of buying another MPC since selling my 2000xl some years back, but this does everything i loved about that and so much more. the VST integration just totally sealed the deal for me.

• Members

yeah, this thing rocks! i've just barely begun to use it (and haven't even updated it to v1.6 yet), but i can already see how powerful and easy to use it is. i've thought several times over the years of buying another MPC since selling my 2000xl some years back, but this does everything i loved about that and
so much
more. the VST integration just totally sealed the deal for me.

Agreed. I usually use it through Live. I've never been much of a VST user but the deeper I get into Maschine, the more I feel tempted to stock up and try just running standalone to see what comes of it.

• Members

Picked this up in a gas station parcking lot at 1am last night.

221990_10150152472950947_503295946_69508

Gonna take some major cleaning! But it works.

Nice!

I want the SH-5 so bad but not at 3500 bucks!

I had a chance to get one in the winter, drove to Toronto in a blinding blizzard (5 hours each way), had the $2500 in an envelope all ready to give the seller and when I tested it, the unit was screwed.

Cheating bastard all of a sudden 'didn't know' and played stupid.

One day I shall find one.

Enjoy your new SH synth, I'm sure you will be quite happy with it. :thu:

• Members

This is actually the 3rd SH-1 i've had. AFAIK, its the same, or almost the same circuitry that's in the System 100 Model 101 synth.

These are odd synths. They're relatively rare, yet i've managed to score three of them over the years. And they sell for kinda cheap in comparison to other synths lesser rarity. Vince Clarke used the hell out of these as well.

• Members

You ever managed a passable emulation of the sound? I've had a few goes with my modular and not got close, somehow you'd think that having multimode plus lowpass in series or parallel is where it's at, but somehow, it never sounds remotely SH5ish.

I've never got close either. I still kick my ass for giving my SH-5 away 20+ years ago. What a numbnuts I am.

I thought when I bought the Voyager it would put a rest to me wanting an SH-5, but sadly I still lust after it. There's something about that synth that just gives me a tingle and I never fully appreciated it when I had it.

It's not an easy synth to learn, took me a long time but it was the first synth I ever owned. I think I was 16 when I got it. Sat on top of my Rhodes quite nicely :)

One day it shall be in my possession again!

• Members

That was pretty cool.

I noticed in the video demo, the harmonies were not on all the time, how does it decide when to add the harmoney? Is there a foot switch to engage it when you want it on?

Looks like it would be a big helper for live performances.

• Members

You ever managed a passable emulation of the sound?

Actually there is one soft synth in Sonar called

z3ta+

There's a sound called Butter Lead

It's almost a spot on recreation of the square wave lead sound you can get out of the SH-5 by selecting both oscillator's to square and detuning them slightly, and open the filter all the way up.

Turn the glide on ever so slightly and it's the perfect fat square sound.

• Members

That was pretty cool.

I noticed in the video demo, the harmonies were not on all the time, how does it decide when to add the harmony? Is there a foot switch to engage it when you want it on?

Looks like it would be a big helper for live performances.

Yes, it is a foot switch he's activating to engage the harmonies.

I am glad there are people who can still sing these days. Awesome piano playing too.

I once helped a friend buy a vocal harmonizer. To this day, he still can't believe what it does to his voice. The manual, though, was extremely hard for me to understand [you really need to know music theory, it will help a lot in understanding how harmonies work and how to set up the exact custom preset you want for your songs].

I heard your music and voice before, Crazyfoo. And I told you how much I liked it [both music and voice]. You will no longer have to detune your vocal tracks when a part needs some harmony and then mix it down with your original singing voice. I do not sing, but I know it's a pain]

If you get a machine like this and play live, you will have major issues with your wife because women will be like "how the fack did you do that? I want you NOW!", LOL

Here is the machine I told him he should buy. And he did:

P.S: wear your headphones and listen to what happens between 00:39 and 00:47. Holy jit, don't you think?:)

Archived