Do you like it when bands leave little mistakes/background noises in the music?

rub1off&tie1on

• Members

Doesn't matter to me... I prefer a polished recording, but if it helps the vibe of the music, sure. I just don't like it when albums sound like machines could play them without losing a single nuance; Dream Theater suffers badly from this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Converge's records are a perfect example of this, I love the gritty feel of their records. I always listen to their songs right to the end to hear the feedback, slide or whatever noise that signals the track has finished, or will move to another track.

http://www.lambgoat.com/features/interviews/kurt_ballou.aspx

"All my favourite records aren't littered with overdubs and don't have drum triggers and they sound noisy and gross. You know Black Flag would have sounded worse as a produced band because it would have exposed all their flaws. And it feels more human and less contrived for a band like Converge - which is inherently a loose, sloppy, live experience

• Members

Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

Or do you like everything note perfect and squeaky clean?
:o

Personally, i like to hear the little imperfections and background sounds, sounds more real and human to me
:cool:

we always record out demos live, together, in a room on one take.

so our demos are always full of that kind of stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle

Converge's records are a perfect example of this, I love the gritty feel of their records. I always listen to their songs right to the end to hear the feedback, slide or whatever noise that signals the track has finished, or will move to another track.

"All my favourite records aren't littered with overdubs and don't have drum triggers and they sound noisy and gross. You know Black Flag would have sounded worse as a produced band because it would have exposed all their flaws. And it feels more human and less contrived for a band like Converge - which is inherently a loose, sloppy, live experience

• Members

no i hate to hear any mistakes or bad production. i like it as perfect as possible...the wintersun album and necrophagist stuff are perfect examples of what i like. perfection is wonderful :D

edit: actually it depends on the type of stuff. those bands i mentioned are obviously perfectionists and they sound great that way, but the more brutal the music gets i dont mind it as much. like skinless for example, as heavy as heavy gets but sounds like {censored} to some degree, still very brutal.

• Members

Originally posted by Herald of Light

I love Converge and I love how Kurt Ballou produces stuff. He proves that you can make that type of stuff sound good doing basically the TOTAL opposite of what other modern heavy bands do to get all their sounds.

And you know what? I saw them a month or two ago, and they sounded JUST LIKE the new CD, in TWO SEPARATE VENUES.

Only heavy/noisy/crazy/weird band I have ever seen pull that off.

Basically every other extreme metal-type band I have ever seen sounded like a wall of mud to one degree or another, except maybe TDEP.

But forget all that, I just read the article and HOLY {censored}!

A full Cave In + Converge band?
:eek:

And then maybe they'll go on tour together and play stuff from all three!
:love:

*head implodes*

Yeah Kurt's records sound so raw and analogue, I should really catch them live. In every video I've seen the band is firing on all cylinders, you can tell actually being there would be punishing.

I havn't heard Cave In, I take it they're pretty good... What are they like?

• Members

Personally, i like to hear the little imperfections and background sounds, sounds more real and human to me

It depends on if they're cool or not... I love the ones Slash and Yngwie leave in... Led Zep sometimes, sometimes not.

• Members
Originally posted by Herald of Light

I love Converge and I love how Kurt Ballou produces stuff. He proves that you can make that type of stuff sound good doing basically the TOTAL opposite of what other modern heavy bands do to get all their sounds.

And you know what? I saw them a month or two ago, and they sounded JUST LIKE the new CD, in TWO SEPARATE VENUES.

Only heavy/noisy/crazy/weird band I have ever seen pull that off.

Basically every other extreme metal-type band I have ever seen sounded like a wall of mud to one degree or another, except maybe TDEP.

But forget all that, I just read the article and HOLY {censored}!

A full Cave In + Converge band?
:eek:

And then maybe they'll go on tour together and play stuff from all three!
:love:

*head implodes*

yes that Kurt dude did a good job with Genghis Tron too.. just great {censored}, very lively, i really love it

• Members

yep !! I think it's cool actually .... adds character.

Grand Funk I'm your Captain has some random talking for about a second in one of the intro verses ..... apparently sometimes there is a great take and they just figure the mistake was small enough that it won't matter.

I forget what Zeppelin song, but there is a phone ringing twice in the background.... and another one of their songs has an airplane noise going on ....... :)

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

yep !! I think it's cool actually .... adds character.

Grand Funk I'm your Captain has some random talking for about a second in one of the intro verses ..... apparently sometimes there is a great take and they just figure the mistake was small enough that it won't matter.

I forget what Zeppelin song, but there is a phone ringing twice in the background.... and another one of their songs has an airplane noise going on .......
:)

Yeah, there's another Zeppelin track where you can clearly hear the squeaky bass drum pedal throughout the song, especially in the intro. It's literally *Thud, squeak, Thud, Squeak...." - I think the song is "Since I've been Loving you"

I can't listen to that track anymore without hearing that bloody pedal!

• Members

I was listening to Testament with cans last night and there was one moment where the right guitar player was playing and the left was stabbing the first on the beat. YOu could hear the anticipation and amp hum and palm squeak. COOL.

• Members

I generally prefer clean recordings, but for the most part, I don't like things that have been polished to hell and back, unless we're talking electronic music. Amp hiss, breath noises, fretboard squeaks, snares rattling... leave that stuff in. I don't like drums that sound like a machine unless that's the point.

• Members

I like how on Dire Straits' Alchemy you can hear all the amp and single coil hum in the background. Makes it seem more like a live album. What I hate about live albums though is that there is way too much of crowd cheering to be heard in the beginning and end of songs. Who wants to listen to that at home?

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle

Yeah Kurt's records sound so raw and analogue, I should really catch them live. In every video I've seen the band is firing on all cylinders, you can tell actually being there would be punishing.

I havn't heard Cave In, I take it they're pretty good... What are they like?

Yes, punishing and firing on all cylinders is a good way to describe them hehe. They opened with Plagues. I can't even describe that. When they all walked out and came in after the guitar intro, it was definitely a shocking experience. A little after that, they just continuously played tons of their most ballistic shorter songs in a row without stopping. Saying that was intense does not begin to describe it. It was like seeing a band like Isis that seems to grip you and really pull you in with how powerful it sounds, but while being relentlessly fast and energetic.

You definitely need to hear Cave In. They're also from Boston, and although they came a little after Converge, they both really got going at about the same time and developed that sound.

I can't really tell you what Cave In sounds like, though. They have been literally all over the place. Every album is totally different, but they have done extremely well at all of it. They went from being as psychotic and out there as the craziest Converge, to more experimental, to sort of ambient experimental rock with just clean singing, to weird pop rock, and now they've come full circle and mixed it all together on their last CD. To really hear them, you pretty much have to just pick up all their CDs haha.

Originally posted by Strapping_Young_Lad

yes that Kurt dude did a good job with Genghis Tron too.. just great {censored}, very lively, i really love it

Surprisingly, I think Genghis Tron actually sounds a bit better live.

The CD has some oddly mixed parts, where the guitar absolutely drowns out the keyboards, and it sounded a bazillion times more powerful on parts where it never would have occurred to me when I saw them and they had everything set up themselves.

They're all at fault for that one, though haha. I'm sure they all agreed on it all.

But then again, that's also the kind of stuff that needs to be absolutely blasted out of a huge system with subs and stuff so you can hear the low end of the synths and the massive thump of the bass drum, and you unfortunately can't really make a CD that way. In the end, it's just two totally separate experiences.

• Members

A lot of Helmet's early stuff is like this. At the beginning of FBLA you can hear someone counting off in the silence between the first two riffs.

DA da da DA da da da DA DUH...2 3 4...DA da da DA da da da DA DUH

In general, the recording quality on Strap it on is terrible, but i love it.

Archived