Do you like it when bands leave little mistakes/background noises in the music?

rub1off&tie1on

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cave In sounds kinda like Boris, where it's almost like different bands playing on each album. I like them so that should make for an interesting listen.. Sounds like Converge's live shows are awesome, you always hope for a good setlist when you see a band. It seems like they have that perfected, what with all their relentless touring they prolly know what works by now, haha.

Ghenghis Tron's albums sound pimp but your right about the guitar flattening everything else in the mix. They confuse me as to whether they even have bass parts in their songs, it's all so mangled.. That makes me think they'd sound thin live as there would only be the guitar massaging your nuts with low-end. Some of those synth parts are pretty low, with the the occasionaly sub-octaved guitar along with them, I guess it works out in the end...

• Members

They have no bass, but dude, they are anything but thin.

When I saw them, they just played in the parking lot of this place with their own PA, and I thought my chest was going to cave in just from the one keyboard guy by himself. It was ridiculous.

Of course, the guitar was not jumping around in volume, so there weren't those random parts where it seemed to eat all the space alive, and I think it worked out much better.

That part in The Folding Road, the first track of Dead Mountain Mouth, at 1:28 where it's just the synth, even though you mostly just hear that thin little melody, it sounded like God and Satan were trying to kill each other or something. Hearing the way their stuff sounded live totally changed my view of a lot of it.

• Members

Originally posted by Herald of Light

They have no bass, but dude, they are anything but thin.

When I saw them, they just played in the parking lot of this place with their own PA, and I thought my chest was going to cave in just from the one keyboard guy by himself. It was ridiculous.

Of course, the guitar was not jumping around in volume, so there weren't those random parts where it seemed to eat all the space alive, and I think it worked out much better.

That part in The Folding Road, the first track of Dead Mountain Mouth, at 1:28 where it's just the synth, even though you mostly just hear that thin little melody, it sounded like God and Satan were trying to kill each other or something. Hearing the way their stuff sounded live totally changed my view of a lot of it.

They have good thick sound in all the live videos I've seen, but as you say nothing compares to gettting disemboweled by huge speakers in a live setting. It's hard to imagine that part in "The Folding.." sounding heavy... Whenever I hear it I think "oh, it's that little chiming melody" If they turned that into an epic battle of sound I can't even imagine what the ending riff of "Chapels" must've been like.... holy {censored}

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

yep !! I think it's cool actually .... adds character.

Grand Funk I'm your Captain has some random talking for about a second in one of the intro verses ..... apparently sometimes there is a great take and they just figure the mistake was small enough that it won't matter.

I forget what Zeppelin song, but there is a phone ringing twice in the background.... and another one of their songs has an airplane noise going on .......
:)

I like the squeaky bass drum pedal throughout "Since I've Been Loving You".

• Members

Originally posted by MAMMATUS

Yeah, there's another Zeppelin track where you can clearly hear the squeaky bass drum pedal throughout the song, especially in the intro. It's literally *Thud, squeak, Thud, Squeak...." - I think the song is "Since I've been Loving you"

I can't listen to that track anymore without hearing that bloody pedal!

:D

Yeah, I heard that just last year ..... funny I've heard the song a million times before and while driving in the car I heard the squeak ..... for a second i thought it was a squeak in the car, but then noticed the timing and .....:freak:

• Members

i have a thing for "5-way noise" you can hear it in the Alice in chains " them bones solo" and its all over Wingers PULL album total 5 way switcharoo-ing.. that and yngwie -malmsteens " Deja Vu" at the begining for some reason hes whackin the 5 way back and forth between lines.. to me it provided no tonal difference,,, but if it works for him..lol :freak:

kewl noises like effects being switched on and off are neat.. a good example is joe satrianis "circle's" i think the song is called on surfin with the alien.. right before the main solo you can hear what i believe is him switchng on a effect.. and it makes this echoey "GUUGOOINNGG" noise.. pretty kewl..

then theres Van halens "Dreams" right after the beginning intro with the classical guitar you can hear what sounds like either a track being "punched in " or the chair that eddie is sitting on playing *squeek*

on Zakk wyldes "stronger than all" during the last solo i think.. you can hear what sounds like laughing from the control room.. or bleed thru from a "re-used" reel.. kinda neat stuff....

• Members

Cool noises are cool.....I'd much rather listen to something that sounds like it was recorded by humans than something that sounds too "perfect". Studio magic is only good for some things....masking wrong notes and fixing the singer's voice because they can't sing in key aren't one of them.

• Members

Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

Or do you like everything note perfect and squeaky clean?
:o

Personally, i like to hear the little imperfections and background sounds, sounds more real and human to me
:cool:

Hi. I agree.

I think some imperfections are cool, it makes the music come alive.

Just check out some old VH's or whatever, these small "mistakes" contribute to the whole feel of the music. It's not sterile or overproduced. Anyone these days can make a "perfect" recodring relying on PC, pro tools etc...Many more examples.....

For my own sake, we came out with a CD last year. Real "raw" and unpolished.

As an example one of the songs were recored with an accoustic guitar, one guitar take throughout the whole song.

I kicked the hell out of my Martin, and some tones are a bit "off", but not out of tune (I think, hehehehe). These "mistakes" could have easily been fixed, either by playing the parts over again and "doctored" these back, or simply used a compressor and some "autotune" (which everyone and his brother might use these days for vocal parts...).

Well, I just though, just leave it original. This is what's played, and that's what we got.

:cool:

www.trendkillerweb.com

Archived