Do you like it when bands leave little mistakes/background noises in the music?

rub1off&tie1on

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like a happy medium.. I like it to sound professional, and clean.. But don't mind hearing things like the reverb of the snare and stuff like that..

I don't like really raw music (ie. Alot of Oasis Tracks...)

EDIT: rub1off&tie1on is your avatar a real Mug Shot of Vito?

• Members

Originally posted by PapaHett

I like a happy medium.. I like it to sound professional, and clean.. But don't mind hearing things like the reverb of the snare and stuff like that..

I don't like really raw music (ie. Alot of Oasis Tracks...)

EDIT: rub1off&tie1on is your avatar a real Mug Shot of Vito?

Yep :o

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/margeramug1.html :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by code_blue

I think I hear what sounds like someone knocking on a door during Metallica's "The Shortest Straw" and when I listen to it on headphones I always take them off and yell, "What?" thinking someone is at my door.

:freak:

How long into the song? I love picking up those random nosies, they crack me up.

• Members

I love hearing the background noises. It makes me feel more "in the studio" in that I can hear the mistakes and they aren't edited out. All this stuff is what really makes the Beatles Anthology spectacular. That's right, I said "the Beatles" on this forum:D

• Members

depends on what you mean by mistakes. i love hearing stuff like imperfect technique, or rhythm being SLIGHTLY off (unless i'm listening to something like Meshuggah, becuase if they're slightly off, the whole thing goes to {censored}), because it makes a recording feel more alive. feels much more like it's actually happening around me or in front of me, rather than a few parts being recorded and then pieced together.

for the perfect example, listen to Nevermind & In Utero. Nevermind sounds waaaaaayyy too processed to me. the guitars sound huge, the bass fills up the bottom perfectly, and the drums fit in exactly the way you'd want the drums to... but it sounds fake. In Utero sounds much more like a band together in one room just blasting away just because, and considering i'm listening to Nirvana, that's what i want to hear.

• Members

Originally posted by FalseRevRG

if you're talking about the sound i think you are, i always figured that was a cymbal....like a weird sounding splash or china

I think its Lars hitting the bass drum too hard causing the batters to bounce back or something.

• Members

Originally posted by Panopticon

I hate super polished recordings. They drive me crazy.

I think refused the shape of punk to come is the greatest recording i have ever heard.

I love that CD. It certainly does sound very good, too, and despite a lot of the electronic-based stuff, it does not come across as fake to me. It's all just in how you use everything. New Noise has the best video evar! :love:

I also hate super polished recordings. Yeah, like any band is ever going to sound like that. I get the idea that lots of bands are made to sound like that today because they suck and the only thing anyone can do to save them is compress the hell out of a bazillion tracks of everything, chop them all up and edit them, time align everything, and then slap effects all over the place so that you can't hear it.

I want to hear the band for what they are, not what some producer can make them into.

All the little nuances in music is what makes it for me. I love stuff that calls for "eagle ears" because I never get tired of it.

• Members

It'd be nice if rock bands would try to record stuff for "studio" albums all at once. You know, live, but not live. :)

Some live CDs are edited and produced to hell and back. When you are reamping everything, using samples, and editing and processing all the tracks, I'm going to have to draw the line, and that's nowhere near the worst of it. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Herald of Light

It'd be nice if rock bands would try to record stuff for "studio" albums all at once. You know, live, but not live.
:)

Some live CDs are edited and produced to hell and back. When you are reamping everything, using samples, and editing and processing all the tracks, I'm going to have to draw the line, and that's nowhere near the worst of it.
:mad:

The first Gov't Mule CD is recorded like this. There is a memo in the liner notes saying that there were no overdubs, except two little lead parts in two different songs, everything else was recorded live. That is a great album.

• Members

eor loves feedback (most of the time), but i get so used to that pitch, that when it can't be replicated live, it upsets eor so. it becomes part of the song to me.

good feedback: metallica - phantom lord

bad feedback: the smiths - london

love,

eor

Archived