How can a 15 watt amp cost this much?

Geno_xl

• Members

The Crate V series are very nice amps.

Actually, I heard someone playing one in Guitar Center the other day and thought it sounded pretty good but I haven't tried one myself. That said, I haven't played on a crate that I liked in about 10 years.

• Members
That Crate's not badly priced. Decent sounding amp. 15 watts is an ideal volume for club use.

You think that's bad, look at this one. 5 watts, no controls except volume. $1700. The guy that makes them is complaining he can't sell enough to make money.
:rolleyes:

http://www.texastubeamps.com/

I'm sure there are worse examples if you look.

The cost is f**** ridiculous and on top of that, it sound very bad!! did you hear the drop d clip??? lollllllll pure {censored}.. This guy is crazy selling at that price

• Members

It concievable could, but thats not the discussion. Most manufacturers are targetting a certain price point in the market. Crate is a budget brand. Fender is a mass production brand for a little more high end stuff. Then there are boutique brands that sell great things at huge prices. HIs point was that wattage is no indication of price. Brand + wattage however, may be more of an indication of price.

Concievable?? surely you can tell the cost difference between a 150 watt transformer and 10 watt transformer..And 2 tubes as opposed to 4 tubes etc.... My point is it does cost more to make a higher wattage amp (given all other options are equal). Nothing else.

If some one says get a clue then they should have a clue as well and not make sweeping generalizations to an obvoius noob. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Use your brain. Just because it's half the power or less of some other amp doesn't mean it's half the cost. The entire amp still has to be built. It doesn't use half the components or something.

Wow, didn't realize there were so many 15 watt amp lovers in here.

But seriously, wattage will typically play a part in price. I realize there really shouldn't be a difference but think about it man, there typically is. For instance take a look over at musicians freind website and look up a Marshall combo amp. I garantee a hundred watt amp will cost alot more than a 60 watt amp.

• Members

So you think a 5 watt amp and a 100 watt amp made by the same manufacturer with the same specs are going to cost the same? Cheers, Lucius

Does anybody ever compare amps from the same manufacturer, with similar specs?

Its usually good low watt tube amp, vs high wattage POS.

..... though not practical, a manufacturer could build a crappy high wattage tube amp, and then make a very nice overbuild 5 watt amp, channel switching, beefy transformers etc...

The issue is component quality, and the fact is, few people ever take that into account.

Do you compare car prices by the amount of horsepower? Or by the quality of components, and the package as a whole?

• Members

The cost is f**** ridiculous and on top of that, it sound very bad!! did you hear the drop d clip??? lollllllll pure {censored}.. This guy is crazy selling at that price

Don't judge equipment by random "clips," especially if you aren't even going to pay attention to them. You can hear string noise in that one, so it was obviously extremely low volume, and it sounds like it's either out of phase or miced up horribly wrong.

• Members

Concievable?? surely you can tell the cost difference between a 150 watt transformer and 10 watt transformer..And 2 tubes as opposed to 4 tubes etc.... My point is it does cost more to make a higher wattage amp (given all other options are equal). Nothing else.

If some one says get a clue then they should have a clue as well and not make sweeping generalizations to an obvoius noob. Cheers, Lucius

I see where you are coming from, but generally, manufacturers make more money off of higher wattage amps (%-wise) due to the charging of a premium price. People assume that it costs much more to build a 100 watter than a 50 watter, when they are pretty close in cost. Not identical, but not $300 more, either.

• Members

You definitely have a point though I'm no noob, I've been playing for 21 years now, I've just never owned a 15 watt tube amp...geez guys, it was just a question.

• Members

Wow, didn't realize there were so many 15 watt amp lovers in here.

But seriously, wattage will typically play a part in price. I realize there really shouldn't be a difference but think about it man, there typically is. For instance take a look over at musicians freind website and look up a Marshall combo amp. I garantee a hundred watt amp will cost alot more than a 60 watt amp.

Yes, I do in fact know what you mean.

However, that's Marshall, and they're big time in the business of making money. Each of their various amp models don't exactly serve a specific sonic purpose.

If you will notice, they often have many, many models in each amp line. What they're often doing is selling "downgraded" models to make the flagship model of the line look that much better so that they can make the price even higher and make more money off of it.

Crate does that as well with their similar range SS amps, but the V amps are targeting a totally different group of people, so the rules change.

• Members

I agree. No generalizations can be made on this. Brands tend to recycle circuitry and componants between amps because its cheaper that way, but any amp is the sum of all its componants. Better componants = more expensive whether its 5 watts or 100 watts.

Either way, an amp should be thoroughly tested before purchase, to make sure it is the right one for you. I spent 2 months testing amps before I found the right one for me. I narrowed down my search slowly and played as many as I could, visited the same amp a dozen times before I bought it. Turns out that amp was way bigger than I needed, and way out of my price range, but I love it. I am sure the salesman was annoyed, but oh well. I don't spend a grand easily.

• Members

He posted at TGP that he was going to stop making amps. I politely (seriously) asked him why I, as a working guitar player, should pay $1,700 for what essentially was an extremely expensive Epiphone Valve Junior, when for that much or considerably less I could get a really good amp I could actually gig with. He didn't seem to get that there wasn't a market for his product at that price. And you're right. The clips don't sound that good.

• Members

You definitely have a point though I'm no noob, I've been playing for 21 years now, I've just never owned a 15 watt tube amp...geez guys, it was just a question.

You do realize that 15 watts tube = 40-50 watts solid state right? Which is more than enough juice for a small club. My 30 watter easily rocks medium size clubs through a cabinet.

• Members
ok my friend said he just traded for a Crate 15, I assume he meant this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V1512T-15-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo?sku=481755

it's a Crate 15 watt all tube combo amp.

my question is how can a 15 watt amp cost this much and is 15 watts enough for anyone to hear you play?

I don't believe that the manufacturers develop pricing per watt. ;)

• Members

It's not a bad question...

The Crate V/Palomino series are pretty nice amps. The one that you linked to has a Tone Tubby speaker, which does bump the price up a bit compared to the Palomino 16, which is essentially the same amp.

I'd agree that something like Peavey's Windsor can make someone scratch their head and wonder why they wouldn't just get the 100W Peavey over the 15W Crate. Assuming you already have a speaker cab, of course.

The Peavey's made in China. That could account for the savings.

I can't comment on gig-ability of 15W. I'll leave that to those who gig.

• Members

Don't judge equipment by random "clips," especially if you aren't even going to pay attention to them. You can hear string noise in that one, so it was obviously extremely low volume, and it sounds like it's either out of phase or miced up horribly wrong.

even if the clip was sounding good, it does not justify the cost.. never!! I'll take, for example, a peavey JSX before this 2000$ 5w, one button amp

• Members

You do realize that 15 watts tube = 40-50 watts solid state right? Which is more than enough juice for a small club. My 30 watter easily rocks medium size clubs through a cabinet.

Actually, electrically speaking, watts are watts, whether tube of solid state. The reason that a 15 watt tube amp seems louder than a 15 watt SS amp is because people tend to push the tubes beyond their stated wattage rating. For example, a Plexi, when cranked, can put out in excess of 160 watts. My 18 watter, when dimed out, is closer to 25 watts in the output section.

Archived