12AT7s and 12AU7s pwn 12AX7s.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Mullards are great, Amperex Bugle Boys are awesome.

If you can get an Ei that works, it sounds great. (Let's hope that since they've been bought out by Western Electric that we'll see some good stuff from them.)

Most new stuff just lacks some of the "3D"-ness that a Mullard has.

FWIW, I used to be a JJ devotee 3-4 years ago until I started trying out NOS tubes.

Who has that kind of money?:eek:

• Members
I hav spent less on tubes since I've gotten NOS stuff than I did when I bought new EH12AX7's every 6 months. Less experimentation and gear flipping = more money in the end.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=+Amperex&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=54476&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

:eek:

• Members

The thing about those is they are better built than newer tubes for the most part, and will last much longer.

I've actually started cruising vintage audio shops looking for old turntables/radios that had 12AX7's in them. I know a guy who got a dozen Telefunken ECC83's for $10 about a year back.

• Members
The thing about those is they are better built than newer tubes for the most part, and will last much longer.

I've actually started cruising vintage audio shops looking for old turntables/radios that had 12AX7's in them. I know a guy who got a dozen Telefunken ECC83's for $10 about a year back.

I'm always looking for that type of thing, but haven't found anything yet.:thu:

Archived