12AT7s and 12AU7s pwn 12AX7s.

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I put a NOS GE 12AT7 in place of the 12AX7 in my V8. Cleaned up the tone considerably. I get much more and better clean headroom and when I want crunch, I use a clean booster in the FX loop to drive the EL84 in the power section into OD. Get a much deeper growl out of it than 12AX7 preamp distortion, but to each their own.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I put a NOS GE 12AT7 in place of the 12AX7 in my V8. Cleaned up the tone considerably. I get much more and better clean headroom and when I want crunch, I use a clean booster in the FX loop to drive the EL84 in the power section into OD. Get a much deeper growl out of it than 12AX7 preamp distortion, but to each their own.

Speak the truth, brotha!:thu:

• Members

Either your ears are garbage or you've been sticking the tubes in your ass.

Lower gain tubes should IMPROVE your clean tones.
:mad:

lol. OR, you don't know what sort of clean tone i like. but you're right. my ears are garbage AND i've been sticking the tubes in my ass. :blah:

good thing you know that tone is subjective, right :thu:

• Members

That's what my dirty channel sounds like.
:freak:

i see. so your clean is spanky clean and has no character and your gain channel starts where my clean channel lives... i see. i never play completely clean. i like the more classic type blues clean like SRV's lenny. i kinda just live there with my clean. i find there is no sparkle if there isn't a hint of gain in the clean, kinda like a fender bassman turned to 3 or 4.

• Members

:rolleyes:
huuuuuuuuuhh........

Do I have to spell it out for you?

You said "Tone is subjective".

and I said "No, Tone is in the fingers"

:badump:

Both of you are right.

Tone is subjective - what I think is great tone someone else might not like.

....and tone is in the fingers (and technique).

The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Members

huuuuuuuuuhh........

Do I have to spell it out for you?

You said "Tone is subjective".

and I said "No, Tone is in the fingers"

:badump:

just to clarify, i'm saying that everyone has a different tone that they look for and you're saying that they aren't and that you have found it in your 12at7's and fingers... :thu:

• Members

i see. so your clean is spanky clean and has no character and your gain channel starts where my clean channel lives... i see. i never play completely clean. i like the more classic type blues clean like SRV's lenny. i kinda just live there with my clean. i find there is no sparkle if there isn't a hint of gain in the clean, kinda like a fender bassman turned to 3 or 4.

It has character :mad:

I can go up to 65% with my gain knob and still be in the sparkly clean realm.:p The tone is better then any AX7s I've heard.

So a clean....clean channel, with a clean boost throws me into SRV land.....not to mention my CH.2 is just as good......plus CH. 2 with clean boost puts me in super saturated land.

Why do you have cleanland?

Archived