Saw 300 Last Night....Good God.....

Chrisjd

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
for all the people talking about realism....did any of you stop to think how unrealistic 300 soldiers defeating 1 million is?
:D
i think the idea was to portray the overwhelming odds of a STORY nonetheless. there is nothing realistic about any 300 soldiers defeating 1 million no matter how elite they are. 1 million children could defeat the most elite 300 soldiers on earth.

It's not about realism. Do I think that intergalactic war with man built planets that can blow up other planets and move beyond light speed is realistic? No.

Movies need to earn their ridiculousness. This one actually did an ok job on that front, but lack of characters still makes the whole thing meaningless. Without characters, there is nothing to bring you from being an observer to feeling a part of the film. A good movie makes you forget you're watching a screen and allows you to enter the world it's portraying. You can't do that with {censored}ty characters and overly ridiculous fight scenes-- you do that with meaning, with consequences, with anything that makes the movie deeper than the screen it's projected on.

Sin City did an excellent job here, 300 failed.

• Members

The story behind the 300
is
the Battle of Thermopylae . . . and I've done more than just "read about it" . . . I've studied it for years.

300 (the graphic novel) is a {censored}ing Frank Miller story inspired by the Battle of Thermopylae . . . he took the premise of the historical records and used it to write one hell of a comic book story. However, it is in no way a
dead on accurate
account of Leonidas and the 300 Spartans.

300 (the movie) is a movie adaptation of Frank Miller's 300 (the graphic novel). And in being such it is highly successful and fun as hell.

Again, if I want
accuracy
I'll watch the History channel or read a text book . . . If I want
fun
, I'll go for the more pop-culture avenues (comics, film, etc.). If and when a movie is made called "The Battle of Thermopylae" I'll expect different things from it. But 300 is
Frank {censored}ing Miller's 300
, and is one hell of a ride!

My bassist studies Greek History in University. He saw it with his department and they all left saying how innacurate it was but all had smiles on their faces (at least those who were not offended by the violence, you know university students some can be). This movie cannot be bad its 300 gay guys killing people and saving western civilization.

• Members
I've been working out and on a diet since I saw this film.

Good luck! . . . this is who they used to train the actors:

www.gymjones.com

Mark Twight was the main trainer . . . if they're still up you should check out the video journals on the official movie site--holy {censored}. They worked those poor {censored}ers like mad to get them in "Spartan shape". If you know what CrossFit is: take CrossFit, specialize it, intensify it, and crack the whip--that is what they did.

As for the movie, Neil Cumpston's review sums it up:

I just saw a movie that

• Members

Saw it last night night. One of the things that bugged me alot was that they realyl tried to make the movie as epic looking as possible. As a result the dialogue suffered alot. I think Braveheart pretty much ruined any other movie from having a good pre-battle speech. Visuals are awesome though, but the movie could have been alot better.

• Members

I thought it was pretty rockin. The first scene where they're getting charged is awesome and got my heart pumping. The part that was kinda dumb was that there was thousands and thousands of people on the hill and they start charging and the Spartans kill them all in like 2 minutes of screen time. Also, they over did the slow motion close combat fighting scenes.

• Members

I thought it was pretty rockin. The first scene where they're getting charged is awesome and got my heart pumping.

The part that was kinda dumb was that there was thousands and thousands of people on the hill and they start charging and the Spartans kill them all in like 2 minutes of screen time.

That's alomst how it happened.

There's a show on History channel right now.

They sent 5000 Persians against the 300 Spartans. They just threw themselves at the formation in wave after wave. A wave might last 30 seconds.

• Members

Just saw it. It was good, not great.

The mortal kombat blood was dumb. So was the fat guy with sharp lobster arms. The persian king's voice and size were badly done (when he grabs homeboy from behind, anyone?). Painted muscles. Oh well. Not like I'm gonna try to persuade those who thought it was teh best evar!!.

It gets the job done, but not my favorite epic. I'll let the comic book fanboys have it.

• Members

Saw it yesterday. It was good visually, but the story and plot line left alot to be desired. It did get me interested enough to do some reading about the actual battle that took place. It's amazing that about 300 spartans and 1100 other greeks did hold off the Persian army of at least 200,000 or 2,000,000 depending on whose estimate you believe.

In any event, I think the movie trivialized the actual history somewhat. It was an amazing feat against overwhelming odds, but the movie made it look too easy and flippant. It could have been done much better by developing the characters and story more.

• Members
Sounds like some comic book silly lord of the rings/harry potter bs.
:(

Nothing like that. Its violent as a mother{censored}er . It just doesnt have a plot. and with action movies, I dont really care about stuff like that. I like to laugh and watch people get their heads copped off. :lol:

• Members

Was anyone else suprised to see that little weenie Friar from Van Helsing in this movie? He was like a totally different person...

David Wenham? Played Faramir in LotR of course....that's a completely diff. character too :D

Archived