why you should not get the Korg Kronos and a great idea

RazorBladeRay

• Members

okay so the reason why I wont get the Korg Kronos is because it is way to much damn money,it may have great stuff but I got a better solution,you should get a M-Audio Keystation 88 keyboard controller and get a Korg Microsampler,the thing about the Korg Microsampler is you could sample a Grand Piano sound if you wanted to and you would get your money's worth,look at Jordan Ruddess he samples Keyboard sounds from God know's what but I know he doesn't have a Korg Microsampler,but what you do is use the Midi Controller and use the Midi "Out" plugged into the midi "In" on the Microsampler and you will have every sound possible known to man and you would never need a hella expensive Keyboard Workstation ever again,my Synth setup would be basic all I'd ever need is a Korg MicroKorg,Korg Microsampler,M-Audio Keystation 88 to use as a midi controller just plugged into Microkorg and Microsampler,and Korg Electribe ESX and EMX,those would be the only synths I will ever need for my Techno-Rock/Techno-Metal sound

damn -- that is one long run on sentence that says absolutely nothing useful. waltersXXXX, is that you?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was my thoughts when they announced the Kronos. I paid about the same amount of money for my fully loaded Triton Pro and that was with 1999 money. With inflation, The Kronos 88 cost me a lot less.

$3800???!!!....ouch.

thats when u wait for MF 20%off sale!!

but its a korg, so ....:thu:

• Members

$3800???!!!....ouch.

thats when u wait for MF 20%off sale!!

but its a korg, so ....
:thu:

Yep. Tack on the MOSS card for about $500 and the EXB-SCSI for $250 I think and loaded to the max sample RAM (64 MB!!!!!!), added on to the price of Korg's FIRST sampler since the DSS-1 and it ran me around $4000 with SKB case. I don't regret that purchase even a little bit.

• Members

I recently bought a Kronos. There are several things about it that make the price much less than you think - though it depends on how you use it and why you buy it. I did a lot of research before buying.

First off, it has an integrated mixer which, most of the time, can replace an outboard mixer.

Second, it runs audio/MIDI over USB as well - which means it basically operates as a USB Audio/MIDI interface to/from a computer. You can also plug MIDI devices into it, e.g., an EWI 4000s, other boards, USB midi interfaces, and play the Kronos sounds.

Third, the "supposedly soon to be released" software editor will put the full functionality of the Kronos into a AU-type plug-in via USB - so there will be an AU (perhaps a VST too? I have a mac and logic) to route audio/MIDI to/from the Kronos as well as control it/set it up.

Fourth - it has something called Karma. Karma is a kind of programmable sequencer - you can, for example, set up a drum riff and then tweak various parameters to it: humanization, randomness, pattern, all sorts of things. Basically this gives you a reasonable accompaniment for a lot of things.

I was able to reduce my studio equipment because of this as well as everything else it does. So I can sell stuff off to pay for it (probably about 1/2). I also had to replace a dying 88 key Kurz sp2x which made the total deal even more attractive (I figure a good 88 key hammer action board probably runs at least $800-$1,000).

Eventually the Korg editor software will make it more or less seamlessly integrate with the computer.

So far the audio quality is excellent (USB/audio).

Because its basically a computer I expect future updates to open up a lot more features/capabilities.

On the down side:

Its too big, heavy, bulky (and expensive) to gig with without support.

The screen is small but you get used to it.

• Members

I think he means a setup like this.

Keystation-->Korg Korg Micro Korg Korg Korg -->

Stomp Box/Grand Piano-->Korg Micro Sampler -->

Laptop with Atom Processor

If you put some soft synths between the Korg Korg Micro

Korg Korg Korg, and the Korg Micro-Sampler, you could have more than nine different synth engines.

It would probably be a lot cheaper than the Kronos too.

Atom processors don't cost much.

You and Ray are both wrong, suggesting that expensive Micro-Sampler.

This is wayyyy cheaper than the MicroSampler and will still deliver that PRO sound that we all crave, no wussy laptop needed either:

[video=youtube;bRcEgUS0i9E]

• Members

You have a different solution, not a better one.

If you don't really play the piano then perhaps you don't care that midi controllers like the Keystation have significantly lower quality actions than workstation or stage pianos from Korg, Roland, Yamaha, etc.

If you don't really care about the sound you can sample a piano yourself. I prefer to let skilled experts create my quality samples, whether it be in a workstation or a computer-based sample library.

However if your solutions works for you knock yourself out.

The person can't play piano anyway that might be ok. That is the problem with most music today they just make computer machine music that has no feeling and human

input.

• Members

So, in other words, if you only need a keyboard that does 1/10th of what the Kronos does, just find something that does that 1/10th real well and you'll save money.

I think what he says is, if you get a MicroSampler and spend years sampling all the sounds that made it to the Kronos (without velocity switching, natch), you will have a Kronos for less money.

gPmvL.jpg

• Members

Well I guess he thinks he can sample his grandma's old piano with the MicroSampler, and it will sound as good as the 4.7Gb 8-velocity German piano in the Kronos.

That's why I'm saying substances are the culprit.

Oh and for a good time, you guys should read this. That's the kind of thread this guy starts, but the best part are the follow up posts. Priceless. RazorbladeRay is quickly becoming a legend in the guitar forums.

• Members

The vast majority of "build quality" complainers don't own one and sure as hell have zero idea about build quality. The build quality is as good as any other Korg workstation and as good as any OTHER workstation.

-Mc

Well, I'd say the Kronos doesn't have the same build quality as the Oasys, but I take your point. Overall it is comparable to just about anything else in the $3,000-$4,000 price range -- with the exception of its cheapo undersized data wheel, which is the worst I've ever used. I base this on 20 years of using Kurzweil's larger, more tactile and precise controls, though even Roland and Yamaha (and previous Korgs!) feel better. You can call it a quibble, but I use the data wheel all the time when I'm programming a workstation. You don't skimp on the things a user is going to touch and use that much. It's sort of like designing an amazing car with great performance specifications and giving it a cheap steering wheel.

Still, "build quality" can be a difficult thing to quantify.

I've owned a lot of Korg gear over the years, and I was all set to buy the Kronos, but I haven't done it yet because I just can't stand some of the physical features of it.

So maybe my issue is not with "build quality" so much as "design choices."

Yet, the Kronos is such an amazing workstation under the hood that I may just get it anyway, warts and all.

• Members

Well, I'd say the Kronos doesn't have the same build quality as the Oasys, but I take your point.

You just made my point though. Why does it not have the same build quality? Because it cost more? I'd easily put them on the same level and due to a slimmer, more streamlined design, I prefer the build of the Kronos.

I wouldn't argue the design choices. I don't find issue with any of them but I've seen others conplain about random things... Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Members

You just made my point though. Why does it not have the same build quality? Because it cost more? I'd easily put them on the same level and due to a slimmer, more streamlined design, I prefer the build of the Kronos.

Actually I wouldn't put them easily on the same level at all.

As for substantive differences in design (and design quality), take your pick (see images below). But again, I'm only comparing the Kronos to the Oasys because you put them on the same level of build quality. My inclination is to leave the Oasys out of it, since it was originally priced at a much higher level.

But if I had designed the control surface of the Kronos, I'd have given it the same recessed sliders/faders as the Oasys, the same pitch bend / modulation joystick with separate X-axis mechanism, I would have kept the Oasys/M3's drum pads, I would have given it the fatter buttons and knobs of the Oasys and a big data wheel with a distinct notchy movement, and I would have given it a 10.4" tilting touch screen -- even if it raised the cost of production and MSRP by a few hundred dollars.

korg-oasys.jpg

kronos73_top_lrg.jpg

• Members

why buy a micro-sampler when you can own the original that started it all (I haven't used mine in a LONG time but may need to break it out):

Casio%20SK-1%20full%20package.jpg

It does almost everything the Kronos does anyway and weighs (and costs) a hell of a lot less. It doesn't have an atom processor though. :(

• Members

For build quality or design elements? There is a vast difference. Build quality is type of metal, number of screws, no moving parts, etc. I hate the OASYS design in terms of build (but absolutely love the aesthetics of it). The OASYS has huge gaping holes in the side that allows dust, moisture, etc. The display is not fixed. It has more hardware inside the case.

BUILD quality, the Kronos is preferred. In terms of cool factor, control options, etc... the OASYS wins. But I'm just talking build quality. If you were to take both keyboards out in the rain, dropped from 4 feet high, a dust storm kicks up, etc. The OASYS is the LAST keyboard you would want.

• Members

McHale don't take it out of the box it may be worth alot to you someday,you may want to keep that keyboard.

I stole that picture from the web. I've gone through several SK-1's and to be honest, I learned a LOT of songs on them. I did the MIDI mod on my first one, sold it for a huge profit. Broke most of the keys on my second one from just too much use. My 3rd one looks good as new but I don't have the box anymore. When I get home, I'll snap a pic of it. You'll like what I did to it. :)

Archived