why you should not get the Korg Kronos and a great idea

RazorBladeRay

• Members

okay so the reason why I wont get the Korg Kronos is because it is way to much damn money,it may have great stuff but I got a better solution,you should get a M-Audio Keystation 88 keyboard controller and get a Korg Microsampler,the thing about the Korg Microsampler is you could sample a Grand Piano sound if you wanted to and you would get your money's worth,look at Jordan Ruddess he samples Keyboard sounds from God know's what but I know he doesn't have a Korg Microsampler,but what you do is use the Midi Controller and use the Midi "Out" plugged into the midi "In" on the Microsampler and you will have every sound possible known to man and you would never need a hella expensive Keyboard Workstation ever again,my Synth setup would be basic all I'd ever need is a Korg MicroKorg,Korg Microsampler,M-Audio Keystation 88 to use as a midi controller just plugged into Microkorg and Microsampler,and Korg Electribe ESX and EMX,those would be the only synths I will ever need for my Techno-Rock/Techno-Metal sound

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

okay so the reason why I wont get the Korg Kronos is because it is way to much damn money,it may have great stuff but I got a better solution,you should get a M-Audio Keystation 88 keyboard controller and get a Korg Microsampler,the thing about the Korg Microsampler is you could sample a Grand Piano sound if you wanted to and you would get your money's worth,look at Jordan Ruddess he samples Keyboard sounds from God know's what but I know he doesn't have a Korg Microsampler,but what you do is use the Midi Controller and use the Midi "Out" plugged into the midi "In" on the Microsampler and you will have every sound possible known to man and you would never need a hella expensive Keyboard Workstation ever again,my Synth setup would be basic all I'd ever need is a Korg MicroKorg,Korg Microsampler,M-Audio Keystation 88 to use as a midi controller just plugged into Microkorg and Microsampler,and Korg Electribe ESX and EMX,those would be the only synths I will ever need for my Techno-Rock/Techno-Metal sound

So, in other words, if you only need a keyboard that does 1/10th of what the Kronos does, just find something that does that 1/10th real well and you'll save money.

• Members

but I got a better solution,you should get a M-Audio Keystation 88 keyboard controller and get a Korg Microsampler,the thing about the Korg Microsampler is you could sample a Grand Piano sound if you wanted to and you would get your money's worth,

You have a different solution, not a better one.

If you don't really play the piano then perhaps you don't care that midi controllers like the Keystation have significantly lower quality actions than workstation or stage pianos from Korg, Roland, Yamaha, etc.

If you don't really care about the sound you can sample a piano yourself. I prefer to let skilled experts create my quality samples, whether it be in a workstation or a computer-based sample library.

However if your solutions works for you knock yourself out.

• Members

I think he means a setup like this.

Keystation-->Korg Korg Micro Korg Korg Korg -->

Stomp Box/Grand Piano-->Korg Micro Sampler -->

Laptop with Atom Processor

If you put some soft synths between the Korg Korg Micro

Korg Korg Korg, and the Korg Micro-Sampler, you could have more than nine different synth engines.

It would probably be a lot cheaper than the Kronos too.

Atom processors don't cost much.

Yeah, I'll run out and do that tomorrow. That's sounds wonderful.

• Members

The guys at Korg must be doing giant "WTF??" continuously. Half the people complain that the Kronos isn't worth 3K because you could get all the same stuff with soft-synths for much less; the other half complain that it doesn't have the "build quality" that would drive the cost to 5K.

However, I think they knew they had a hit on their hands though when Korgforums was flooded with Motif fanboyz trashing it... even before it was released. I think a lot of this now is people who were late to the party. The vast majority of "build quality" complainers don't own one and sure as hell have zero idea about build quality. The build quality is as good as any other Korg workstation and as good as any OTHER workstation. These people may have the mindset my grandmother had, if it FELT heavy it must be high quality... which is why AT&T put lead weights in their rotary dial handsets. Maybe if Korg put 25 pounds of lead weights in it it would quickly become the best built workstation ever?

As far as "soft synths and a $200 atom computer" people, well they're just trolling and ignorant.

-Mc

• Members

when i think of how much i paid for my korgW/S, it kinda gets me sick...

That was my thoughts when they announced the Kronos. I paid about the same amount of money for my fully loaded Triton Pro and that was with 1999 money. With inflation, The Kronos 88 cost me a lot less.

• Members

not really into new gear and i certainly believe they provide features but there is something wrong with the sound although i must admit that on paper they provide 10 times of features known in older models,anyway think is an overated synth but all depends on what you are after anyway and above all is to make some music in the end of the day and you can do that with a minimoog or a 50 euros akai sampler...

Archived