OT: So im getting my first Tattoo....

Shredison

• Members

Like I said, I have almost 2 full sleeves. I would never get tattooed on my face, neck or hands. As much as I love my ink, I think I would be painting myself into a corner. With sleeves it's easy to wear short sleeves and not worry but getting them someplace that you can never cover is a different ballgame.

I'm not ashamed of my ink, but at the same time I'm not retarded. Who knows what life has in store for me.

As they say, don't get tattooed in places you can't cover up in court.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fair enough, it's obviously your choice. Just saying that I wouldn't do it and why. Public service, announcement. Just don't be a retard and not at least think about the implications first. Hopefully, you can at least respect the concern for another HCAFer.

I also question the truth of "i dont agree with anything that you said" since I was considering parts of both sides and some general issues to some degree.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy your "Koi".

I do respect your opinion/concerns,as well as anyone else that has made a serious comment on my post.I've thought about getting the tattoo for years. I have made up my mind, and feel that my daughter would NOT be ashamed of the tattoo when she is 14,but appreciate it. I was always proud of my mothers tattoo, as was my younger sister. Im not doing it for the shock factor or to offend my parents. She encouraged that i get it.

Anyway, i do respect what you have to say, and look forward to my "koi".

• Members
I honestly can't think of any picture I've liked so much I would ever want it o be permanently connected to my body... and really, anyone who tries to deny that tattoos have not become this sort of hip "edgy" fashion thing of late (last decade) is in denial, it is the mullet of the new millennium: It's the way that kids who's parents are jaded by biracial dating, long hair on men, and piercings, drive them insane these days.

Given changing aesthetics, and this cultural scenario, I seriously think a lot of you guys that are "into" it now (i.e. massive, garish, tattoos) are going to feel like complete idiots when you're older...

So there's that... and then there's general perception by others. (and as an aside, anyone who claims they have no concern for what any other people think etc, are 100% full of {censored}. You may not care what some group thinks of you but there is *someone* on this planet's surface who's opinion you either care about now or will in the future).

So, FWIW, for people with "serious" tats (i.e. sleeves, full body stuff, etc), I immediately get an inbred trailer trash biker felon vibe from them and ditto most other people I've talked to about the subject. Sorry, it's a natural reaction. I get a gangsta vibe from people who wear gangsta gear, and a redneck vibe from skoal-dipping guys wearing overalls with trucker hats, too, etc. Like it or not, everyone has a certain set of archetypes they've built up from personal experience and cultural pressures and bias.

Before you knee jerk and call "prejudice", I'd say consider yourself first... People, by design, are constantly sizing up their surroundings for threats and opportunities and these things have become cues in our society for specific meanings. I'm wise enough to realize that a guy in overalls, gangster gear, or tats, may be smart, kind, fun, and responsible, in spite of having a look that doesn't jive with my initial tastes, therefore, I try to not let this overwhelm my opinion (as most non-excessively-prejudice people do) and I have friends that would fit into these categories on first blush. But to say that it does not affect most viewers' initial take on someone is foolish and you're lying to yourself if you think it doesn't, so it might make some sense to consider it before you permanently align yourself with a particular subculture.

All these guys who dig tattoos and get a sense of belonging and connectedness to a certain subculture as a result (example: creating your own slang like "inked", etc) are going to be way enthusiastic (and simultaneously defensive). So, okay, if being a part of that group is part of your goal in getting a tattoo, sure, take their experiences and advice into account.

But, they're really a fashion statement that is hard to unmake: A favorite shirt that requires surgery to take off. Given that, I'm willing to bet that you will not feel the same way about whatever is on there in ten to twenty years, at least not from an aesthetic standpoint. Even things you think are "meaningful" can back fire... I guarantee you when your daughter is around 14 or so and going through the phase of life where kids try to establish themselves as independent from their parents she'll be so embarrassed of your tattoo she'll silently wish your arm would fall off. I know I would've felt that way.
;)

So, really, given all this, in that regard they strike me, personally, as sort of inherently stupid. (Hey, Look! I've had a baseball cap surgically grafted to my head!!). Given that feeling, it is extremely difficult not to generally question the rationality and character of someone who is willing to consciously do something you consider retarded... and people you meet your whole life are going to feel similarly. As I said, some of these people, if they're fairly intelligent/enlightened will get over it once they get to know you even if they find the idea gross/stupid.

If this is a non-issue for you or whatever it is that you think you are "getting" from having scribbles all over your body outweigh this or other downsides, definitely go for it. Just do not lie to yourself about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

So anyone who gets tattoos are just getting them to fit in with the current fashion trend or piss of their parents?

• Members

I immediately get an inbred trailer trash biker felon vibe from them and ditto most other people I've talked to about the subject.

Seriously, all of my friends are either trailer trash, bikers, and felons(I just haven't got caught yet). I dont get how or why those are bad things to be.

• Members

If you are real younf or just plain shallow don't get a tattoo cause you will probably not be thrilled with it later. I got my first tattoo at 34 and I will be 45 this year. I still like my designs because they have meaning to me and were not picked on a whim or in a drunken stupor.

I work as a software test engineer and it has never been an issue for me, but I would have to wear a sleevless shirt and shorts to work to show of my tattoos.

Max

• Members

I'm working on sleeves myself, and I have to wear long sleeve shirts to work (I'm a server for an upscale Italian chain) and while occasionaly the peak of my star on my left wrist points out, it's not really a problem. My family starts out hating most of my tattoos, but I don't really care... my mom actually grows to like them with a bit of time, and my grandmother has actually called them "pretty" before but my dad remains consitently opposed.

My other job is teaching guitar, bass, and drums and in some ways it kind of helps me there in a shallow way more often then not. You bring a 15 year old kid in who dresses all in black, plays heavy metal, and has 1200 piercings and he'll identify better with me than he did with the guy at the mall store who plays on an archtop and wants him to work on his chord voicings. It's actually quite suprising to some students when I first meet them and they see the tattoos and piercings and I grab my acoustic and play some pretty folk thing! I had some friends from work who came to a show one time and were suprised to see it wasn't some trucker bar and a rock band, but a coffee house acoustic/piano set.

To the original poster... be proud, for this is a day you will hopefully always remember. I remember my first tattoo, and started out hiding them because of how my family would feel but now I embrace them and love them. I may not be a coroprate superstar with a 250k expense account, but I have an honest living, have some cool guitars, and even better have some cool ink!

• Members

I'm working on sleeves myself, and I have to wear long sleeve shirts to work (I'm a server for an upscale Italian chain) and while occasionaly the peak of my star on my left wrist points out, it's not really a problem. My family starts out hating most of my tattoos, but I don't really care... my mom actually grows to like them with a bit of time, and my grandmother has actually called them "pretty" before but my dad remains consitently opposed.

My other job is teaching guitar, bass, and drums and in some ways it kind of helps me there in a shallow way more often then not. You bring a 15 year old kid in who dresses all in black, plays heavy metal, and has 1200 piercings and he'll identify better with me than he did with the guy at the mall store who plays on an archtop and wants him to work on his chord voicings. It's actually quite suprising to some students when I first meet them and they see the tattoos and piercings and I grab my acoustic and play some pretty folk thing! I had some friends from work who came to a show one time and were suprised to see it wasn't some trucker bar and a rock band, but a coffee house acoustic/piano set.

To the original poster... be proud, for this is a day you will hopefully always remember. I remember my first tattoo, and started out hiding them because of how my family would feel but now I embrace them and love them. I may not be a coroprate superstar with a 250k expense account, but I have an honest living, have some cool guitars, and even better have some cool ink!

Thats awesome man.... My family is supportive of getting a tatt. My mom has a few, my grandpa a few. As long as there is good meaning behind it, they dont have a problem.

• Members

I have seen a lot of cool ones. I love my Dad's classic ones he has a bunch. People get them for all sorts of reasons, but most guys get them to seem tough.

I love it when people walk around with their shirts hanging out in their back pockets..showing off their tough tattoos. LOL They may as well buy those inflateable muscles like in the childrens SpiderMan constumes.

Jack

• Members

I bought my mom her first (and only) tattoo, and when she showed it off at work, her friends called her a "gutsy lady". When I got my first one at 26 (I'm 41 now) and showed it to her, she really liked it, so for her birthday I took her to the shop and let her pick out something. She got a small rose on her back, between her neck and shoulder. She still talks fondly of the experience.

• Members

I remember when I went to Bike Week in Daytona in '93, I saw some skinheads hanging around the Outlaws tent, and one of them had "SS" lightning bolts on his neck. It just struck me as really funny. I've got a couple of small tats, so I'm not against them, it just seems that there's better things to spend the money on.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I honestly can't think of any picture I've liked so much I would ever want it o be permanently connected to my body... and really, anyone who tries to deny that tattoos have not become this sort of hip "edgy" fashion thing of late (last decade) is in denial, it is the mullet of the new millennium: It's the way that kids who's parents are jaded by biracial dating, long hair on men, and piercings, drive them insane these days.

Given changing aesthetics, and this cultural scenario, I seriously think a lot of you guys that are "into" it now (i.e. massive, garish, tattoos) are going to feel like complete idiots when you're older...

So there's that... and then there's general perception by others. (and as an aside, anyone who claims they have no concern for what any other people think etc, are 100% full of {censored}. You may not care what some group thinks of you but there is *someone* on this planet's surface who's opinion you either care about now or will in the future).

So, FWIW, for people with "serious" tats (i.e. sleeves, full body stuff, etc), I immediately get an inbred trailer trash biker felon vibe from them and ditto most other people I've talked to about the subject. Sorry, it's a natural reaction. I get a gangsta vibe from people who wear gangsta gear, and a redneck vibe from skoal-dipping guys wearing overalls with trucker hats, too, etc. Like it or not, everyone has a certain set of archetypes they've built up from personal experience and cultural pressures and bias.

Before you knee jerk and call "prejudice", I'd say consider yourself first... People, by design, are constantly sizing up their surroundings for threats and opportunities and these things have become cues in our society for specific meanings. I'm wise enough to realize that a guy in overalls, gangster gear, or tats, may be smart, kind, fun, and responsible, in spite of having a look that doesn't jive with my initial tastes, therefore, I try to not let this overwhelm my opinion (as most non-excessively-prejudice people do) and I have friends that would fit into these categories on first blush. But to say that it does not affect most viewers' initial take on someone is foolish and you're lying to yourself if you think it doesn't, so it might make some sense to consider it before you permanently align yourself with a particular subculture.

All these guys who dig tattoos and get a sense of belonging and connectedness to a certain subculture as a result (example: creating your own slang like "inked", etc) are going to be way enthusiastic (and simultaneously defensive). So, okay, if being a part of that group is part of your goal in getting a tattoo, sure, take their experiences and advice into account.

But, they're really a fashion statement that is hard to unmake: A favorite shirt that requires surgery to take off. Given that, I'm willing to bet that you will not feel the same way about whatever is on there in ten to twenty years, at least not from an aesthetic standpoint. Even things you think are "meaningful" can back fire... I guarantee you when your daughter is around 14 or so and going through the phase of life where kids try to establish themselves as independent from their parents she'll be so embarrassed of your tattoo she'll silently wish your arm would fall off. I know I would've felt that way.
;)

So, really, given all this, in that regard they strike me, personally, as sort of inherently stupid. (Hey, Look! I've had a baseball cap surgically grafted to my head!!). Given that feeling, it is extremely difficult not to generally question the rationality and character of someone who is willing to consciously do something you consider retarded... and people you meet your whole life are going to feel similarly. As I said, some of these people, if they're fairly intelligent/enlightened will get over it once they get to know you even if they find the idea gross/stupid.

If this is a non-issue for you or whatever it is that you think you are "getting" from having scribbles all over your body outweigh this or other downsides, definitely go for it. Just do not lie to yourself about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Yeah I agree with some but not all. In the end, it really isn't that big of a deal. Once it's on it's on, big deal.

As for what people think. I seriously do not care. I'm working on a half sleeve. The people who will look at me, and judge or just be weirded out by it, well they are the same closed minded people I try to stay away from anyways.

Like I said, it's not a matter of success and failure in life. It's just a tattoo or tattoos. Be smart about it.

Archived