OT: So im getting my first Tattoo....

Shredison

• Members

Tat guys, I'm curious, just
how
bad is the pain of getting a tat? I'm not planning on ever getting one at this point, but the idea still intrigues me.

It's not too bad... It's starts to hurt near the arm-pits and knee-pits though...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tat guys, I'm curious, just
how
bad is the pain of getting a tat? I'm not planning on ever getting one at this point, but the idea still intrigues me.

some parts of your body hurt more than others. My chest and inner wrists hurt like medieval torture type pain.

• Members

Eh, don't do it.
Tats are out
, unless your a Biker, or in prison.

Anyone that gets a tattoo because its the "in" thing to do or doesn't get one because they're "out of style" isn't the type of person that should be getting a tattoo in the first place. Like Blackwater said, tattoos aren't for everyone. I've never gotten any of mine and i'm sure Blackwater never got any of his to impress people or be "in".

• Members
Its not that bad at all. To me it feels like a stinging burn. Its more irritating than painful. I've got a lower forearm half sleeve and am still working on doing the upper half, then its on to the next arm.

Ahh I think I get it, like the kinda pain where you just kinda wanna "shake it off"?

Interesting

:)

• Members

i am a tattoo artist. first thing, eat an hour or two before you go. bring some soda or oj. number two double check to make sure that the name is spelled correctly. a half sleeve is a big first tattoo but it doesnt sound like its gonna be all that detailed so it should be quick. are you gonna get color or keep it black and grey? i normally dont reccomend getting names but your daughter name is something you could never regret, unless your in a bar trying to mac it to a girl and she thinks your married because you have a girls name on your arm. also being its your first tattoo id suggest getting it on your upper arm, plain and simply because people do look at you and treat you differently if you have visible tattoos. i think some of the comments in this post have allready confirmed that there are still anti tattoo, racist, cult statis cristian psyco people still around even in modern day society. hell my grandmother tells me i do the devils work after i showed her a picture of a virgin mary half sleeve i did, i thought she would have liked it seeing as how she is very religious. she said my life was a shame. whatever i still love her. good luck, it feels like a cat scratch, some spots will hurt though, most wont. you will get more. it never ends once you start.:)

• Members

Nothing wrong with tattoos. It's an art form, and so long as the person who does it does it well, it can look great.

That being said, I highly doubt I would get one. Possibly concealed tattoos, but nothing like a sleeve.

• Members

For the last few days I was thinking (just thinking) about getting a tattoo.. But since i'm not that "brave", I would do something really small and on some not-so-exposed part of my body (lower back, calf muscle, shoulder, left buttock), I was thinking about just a silhouette of a guitar pick (Jazz III) or something like that.. :D

• Members

I know a guy that was into tattoos as a young man. Now he is older and faces the fact that he has limited his employment opportunities.

Think long and hard about your life long term and your career goals. You will be discriminated against.

I am a contractor, I had a girl working for me with lots of ink. I sent her to a womans house once. The homeowner called me back and said "my employee frightened her". This is a problem. Now the next time I hire, out of two equal applicants, I will choose based on asthetics. Can you blame me?

You can say "{censored} everyone that doesn't like my tattoo", but in reality, in most cases, your ink will impact your life.

The other side of the spectrum is this, I suppose ink works well for rock stars, Jesse James, and other trendy folks.

• Members

...You can say "{censored} everyone that doesn't like my tattoo", but in reality, in most cases, your ink will impact your life.

The other side of the spectrum is this, I suppose ink works well for rock stars, Jesse James, and other trendy folks.

I agree 100%... and the people you'd be saying "{censored} you" too, are the ones with the jobs, opportunities and money. And this isn't for just today either, it's for the rest of you life.

Compare the number of women and jobs that will take you with a tattoo, and the ones who won't. Why limit yourself?

What's cool when you're 12, is not the same as when you're 22, and what's cool when you're 22 is not the same when you're 32 or 42 or 52 or 62....

• Members

I've never seen a tattoo that I could think "Hey, I could live with that"

Hense why I haven't and probably won't ever get a tattoo :phil:

I even know a bloke who got the Ibanez logo tattoo'd on his arm because he was a huge Ibanez fan and was endorsed by them. Funnily enough he ended up leaving Ibanez for a British company called Maverick... Corrrr, that must have been a kick in the teeth... arm... Whatever.

• Members

With everyone having a fit about tattoos and not being able to find a job after getting one, I've just this to say.

Do any of you wear shirts? Long Sleeves would cover up whatever he's planning on getting if his work required it.

Backs pieces, covered. Shoulders, covered. Forearms, covered. Legs, well, you wear pants to work, right?

He didn't say he's getting Taz on his forehead or shaving his head and getting a smiley face on the back of his skull.

To the OP: The sleeve sounds cool. I've never really been drawn to the koi designs, but if that's your thing, run with it. Another option would be a koi dragon, a koi fish that kinda changes into a dragon.

• Members

I know a guy that was into tattoos as a young man. Now he is older and faces the fact that he has limited his employment opportunities.

Think long and hard about your life long term and your career goals. You will be discriminated against.

I am a contractor, I had a girl working for me with lots of ink. I sent her to a womans house once. The homeowner called me back and said "my employee frightened her". This is a problem. Now the next time I hire, out of two equal applicants, I will choose based on asthetics. Can you blame me?

You can say "{censored} everyone that doesn't like my tattoo", but in reality, in most cases, your ink will impact your life.

I have a friend who is fully sleeved on both arms, she is a lawyer, another friend is also fully sleeved both arms, and he is a teacher, my wife is fully sleeved on both arms and is a district sales manager for a car rental company. When i was working as a commercial sound tech, i just wore long sleeves. It can be done, and quite easily. People like to stare and utter comments, think we are trouble makers(depends on the whisky intake), are frightened, but find we are just as nice as the little old lady next door. You really shouldnt judge some one by their appearance, otherwise youre just as bad as a racist in a way.

• Members

I have 3, all of which are covered by clothing...right shoulder, left bicep, left shoulder blade/back. I'd like to have more, but I got those when I was single, and now I'm married with children...different priorities these days. I'm not ashamed of them by any means, but a long-haired 41 year old man with a pot belly just doesn't look right in a tank top. :o

I don't know that I'd ever get a sleeve though...most of the ones I've seen are such a jumble that you have to really inspect them just to see what's in there. I'm not so big on random stuff, either. Johnny Winter has so much random stuff on him that he looks like he let kids draw on him with magic markers.

I know a guy that has Grateful Dead teddy bears on his neck...it does severly impact his employment opportunities. He's a really nice guy, but he doesn't look it to the general public.

• Members

Think long and hard about what this man says. It's 100% true. I'm an accountant, and I just don't see me getting job offers with a sleeve. I don't mind tattoos myself, but the rest of the world is closed-minded.

Oh and I live in Wash DC, which means BRUTALLY hot and nasty humid summers. I'm not wearing long-sleeved shirts!

Archived