OT: So im getting my first Tattoo....

Shredison

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Wearerockers.jpg

These guys put a lot of thought, time and effort into their look.

It was popular at the time, girls liked it, they had friends who said "Hey cool, do it!" and "I did it and I'm really happy about it!"

Times changed... they changed... girl's fickle fashion taste changed... maybe their friends changed... what was unique became common and no longer special...

I bet they're happy they don't look like that now... and all it took was a haircut and change of clothes.

That says it all. Tattoos are forever.

• Members

but in reality, in most cases, your ink will impact your life.

As with everything you do in life, permenant or not...they way you live or act affects thing even more....but there wouldnt be a thread like this if the topic was getting drunk, high or running from the cops.

• Members

My half-sister called me today, asking advice about, of all things, getting a tattoo. Our dad would have a cow, and I'll admit to taking some joy at that prospect. She's 20, and as I reminded her, doesn't need parental permission, but she still feels some obligation to respect her parents' feelings about it.

Dad says the same as many here, about employment opportunities and prejudicial judgements from strangers, etc. but it's not an issue in her case. She's intending something small, and near her bikini line as to keep it hidden from all but the most intimate of viewers.

She's been told that she's still their baby girl (she's in college in another state, only home in the summer) and as long as she's under their roof under any circumstance, she's forbidden to get any tattoo at all.

I told her to be careful that she's not on a bandwagon, keeping up with her friends, etc. since she's the only one in her circle without ink of any kind. She insisted that it's something she's wanted to do for a long time, but only recently gained the courage to explore seriously.

Of course, I also gave the standard warnings about a clean shop, as well as not getting boy's names and other such foolishness, and reminders about how long adult life is compared to youth.

I told her I wouldn't tell her parents, so do what she thinks is right. In my opinion, she's an adult, with the right to do whatever she likes within the law, and her folks are being unreasonable and old fashioned.

Personally, I hope she gets the tattoo, especially considering that the location of her work will be "as private as private gets" and isn't any of her mom and dad's business.

• Members

A few truths.

1. I like to scare normal people.

2. I'm never going to be an office manager or accountant.

3. I couldn't be cool if I tried.

4. No matter how much I drink, the memories and experiences are permanent, so why do I mind if the representations of them are as well?

5. I get tats for me, not anyone else. If other people like em, that's great. And to be quite honest, I get positive comments on my tats all the time, from 80 year old grandmas to to suit wearing office folk.

I do feel bad for kids who have full sleeves and back pieces at 22, though. What the {censored} have they lived through compared to what they have ahead of them? They're gonna be pissed they've run out of room so quickly.

• Members

My left arm is sleeved from wrist to elbow, and I have a fairly large piece on my shoulder. My right arm has script all the way down. I have very visible pieces.

My tattoos have never affected my job at all. If some asshole judges me because of my tattoos, then he's not the kind of person I'd like to know or work for in the first place. I work for a news station, a very public company, and I have even been PROMOTED. Me, a tattooed guy! Whoa!

Don't be afraid of people telling you about limited job opportunities, if you REALLY, REALLY want it, then go ahead and get it. You'll be fine. Just don't do anything crazy like hand or neck tattoos.

As for the rest of my life: I intend on finishing undergrad school and moving on to a Ph.D. program so that I can become a math or comp sci professor at a university. My professors treat me with the utmost respect and are VERY supportive; they don't treat me like a criminal or a punk like tattooed people "must be." I have no doubts that I'll be able to achieve my life goals.

As for the pain: Imagine having a decent sunburn then having somebody scratch it with the tip of a ballpoint pen. That's what it feels like. And the dude who said that it's more irritating than painful was dead on...

• Members

I'm guessing you don't have an important job or at least plan on getting one?

I'm not trying to be an ass. It's just that it is much harder to get recognition in the corporate world when you have visible tattoos. No matter how pretty you think they look.

• Members

I'm guessing you don't have an important job or at least plan on getting one?

I'm not trying to be an ass. It's just that it is much harder to get recognition in the corporate world when you have visible tattoos. No matter how pretty you think they look.

I've almost got 2 full sleeves and I work in the corporate world making almost 6 figures. Don't listen to the naysayers. You wouldn't even know I have tattoos when I'm at work.

This is 2007, not 1957. Sure, there's some places that might judge you about your tattoos, but I've yet to run across them in my career. If you want them, get them. Period.

• Members
Eh, don't do it. Tats are out, unless your a Biker, or in prison.

Or a housewife. I see more tat parlors in mini malls. Used to be only sailors and bikers and prisoners got them. Now Grandmas do. LOL I remember how cool my buddy thought his tribal band was. It looks so gay now. :thu:

Jack

• Members

I've almost got 2 full sleeves and I work in the corporate world making almost 6 figures. Don't listen to the naysayers. You wouldn't even know I have tattoos when I'm at work.

This is 2007, not 1957. Sure, there's some places that might judge you about your tattoos, but I've yet to run across them in my career. If you want them, get them. Period.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get tattoos, just letting him know what to expect.

More and more people are getting them nowadays and actually the ones that don't have them will soon be considered "unique" or different.

• Members

There are always exceptions to the rule.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get tattoos, just letting him know what to expect.

More and more people are getting them nowadays and actually the ones that don't have them will soon be considered "unique" or different.

I don't understand why the un-tattooed have the mentality that tattooed people only get tattooed to be unique. I don't have mine because I want to be unique. Hell, 75% of the people I know have tattoos. The uniqueness of tattoos wore off about 30 years ago. I know this, and most people with tattoos know this.

You're telling him to expect to get turned down for jobs? No dice man. I can sell myself to ANY company. I'm better then all the other applicants out there. If I get turned down, then it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't because of my tattoos.

Only losers whine about getting turned down because of their tattoos. The successful ones will apply at the next job and get it.

• Members
Lets not talk about originality buddy everything has been done..including hearts and emo haircuts
;)
. Yakuza have been using the koi in tattoo's for hundreds of years.

I'm all for people getting inked...

I've been pondering getting one myself...

but, I do find it amusing, and I'm hope I'm not being racist by saying this, when white anglo folks get Tribal patterns, chinese characters or Japanese art...

My cousin got his family coat of arms inked on his back (probably one of the best tatt's I've seen, story wise) conversely if he got a tribal band with some Japanese characters that meant Love or peace, I would have thrown up... on him.

• Members

You're telling him to expect to get turned down for jobs? No dice man. I can sell myself to ANY company. I'm better then all the other applicants out there. If I get turned down, then it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't because of my tattoos.

Only losers whine about getting turned down because of their tattoos. The successful ones will apply at the next job and get it.

Now that's funny. Denial on the highest order. "it wasn't meant to be" Hahaha!

I was talking to my nephew a couple weeks back and he was telling me of a friend who was turned down for a job where he works. He asked about it and was told it was the tat on his neck and "If his ability to make life long decisions for himself is that bad, we don't want to pay him to make decisions here."

You seldom know when opportunities pass you by, but volunteering to let them rush by doesn

• Members

^^^^^^

Total B.S!

Just because your nephew was goth and now emo does not mean they "figured it out" I have seen plenty of emo/goth kids with sleeves of stars, hearts, nightmare before christmas pieces. Once again my girl has a full back piece and an arm piece and she is who you bring your nephew, kids, yourself too when you are sick. In a few years she will be making high six figures so generalizing only gets you so far.

Renshaw%20SRV%20portrait.jpg

istockphoto_1515710_bubble_gum_tattoo_gi

• Members

Like I said, I have almost 2 full sleeves. I would never get tattooed on my face, neck or hands. As much as I love my ink, I think I would be painting myself into a corner. With sleeves it's easy to wear short sleeves and not worry but getting them someplace that you can never cover is a different ballgame.

I'm not ashamed of my ink, but at the same time I'm not retarded. Who knows what life has in store for me. Regardless, any place that wouldn't hire me because of my ink isn't a place I'd want to work at anyways. I'm awesome at my job and am confident in my skills and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. Hell, I have plugs in my ears too (00gauge). I DO wear those to interviews and it has never affected getting hired.

• Members

Like I said, I have almost 2 full sleeves. I would never get tattooed on my face, neck or hands. As much as I love my ink, I think I would be painting myself into a corner. With sleeves it's easy to wear short sleeves and not worry but getting them someplace that you can never cover is a different ballgame.

I'm not ashamed of my ink, but at the same time I'm not retarded. Who knows what life has in store for me. Regardless, any place that wouldn't hire me because of my ink isn't a place I'd want to work at anyways. I'm awesome at my job and am confident in my skills and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. Hell, I have plugs in my ears too (00gauge). I DO wear those to interviews and it has never affected getting hired.

Yeah man...i have 1", and the only thing i've ever been asked by an employer is if it hurt.

• Members
^^^^^^

Total B.S!

Just because your nephew was goth and now emo does not mean they "figured it out" I have seen plenty of emo/goth kids with sleeves of stars, hearts, nightmare before christmas pieces. Once again my girl has a full back piece and an arm piece and she is who you bring your nephew, kids, yourself too when you are sick. In a few years she will be making high six figures so generalizing only gets you so far.

Renshaw%20SRV%20portrait.jpg
istockphoto_1515710_bubble_gum_tattoo_gi

Who is that chick??????:love:

• Members

I honestly can't think of any picture I've liked so much I would ever want it o be permanently connected to my body... and really, anyone who tries to deny that tattoos have not become this sort of hip "edgy" fashion thing of late (last decade) is in denial, it is the mullet of the new millennium: It's the way that kids who's parents are jaded by biracial dating, long hair on men, and piercings, drive them insane these days.

Given changing aesthetics, and this cultural scenario, I seriously think a lot of you guys that are "into" it now (i.e. massive, garish, tattoos) are going to feel like complete idiots when you're older...

So there's that... and then there's general perception by others. (and as an aside, anyone who claims they have no concern for what any other people think etc, are 100% full of {censored}. You may not care what some group thinks of you but there is *someone* on this planet's surface who's opinion you either care about now or will in the future).

So, FWIW, for people with "serious" tats (i.e. sleeves, full body stuff, etc), I immediately get an inbred trailer trash biker felon vibe from them and ditto most other people I've talked to about the subject. Sorry, it's a natural reaction. I get a gangsta vibe from people who wear gangsta gear, and a redneck vibe from skoal-dipping guys wearing overalls with trucker hats, too, etc. Like it or not, everyone has a certain set of archetypes they've built up from personal experience and cultural pressures and bias.

Before you knee jerk and call "prejudice", I'd say consider yourself first... People, by design, are constantly sizing up their surroundings for threats and opportunities and these things have become cues in our society for specific meanings. I'm wise enough to realize that a guy in overalls, gangster gear, or tats, may be smart, kind, fun, and responsible, in spite of having a look that doesn't jive with my initial tastes, therefore, I try to not let this overwhelm my opinion (as most non-excessively-prejudice people do) and I have friends that would fit into these categories on first blush. But to say that it does not affect most viewers' initial take on someone is foolish and you're lying to yourself if you think it doesn't, so it might make some sense to consider it before you permanently align yourself with a particular subculture.

All these guys who dig tattoos and get a sense of belonging and connectedness to a certain subculture as a result (example: creating your own slang like "inked", etc) are going to be way enthusiastic (and simultaneously defensive). So, okay, if being a part of that group is part of your goal in getting a tattoo, sure, take their experiences and advice into account.

But, they're really a fashion statement that is hard to unmake: A favorite shirt that requires surgery to take off. Given that, I'm willing to bet that you will not feel the same way about whatever is on there in ten to twenty years, at least not from an aesthetic standpoint. Even things you think are "meaningful" can back fire... I guarantee you when your daughter is around 14 or so and going through the phase of life where kids try to establish themselves as independent from their parents she'll be so embarrassed of your tattoo she'll silently wish your arm would fall off. I know I would've felt that way. ;)

So, really, given all this, in that regard they strike me, personally, as sort of inherently stupid. (Hey, Look! I've had a baseball cap surgically grafted to my head!!). Given that feeling, it is extremely difficult not to generally question the rationality and character of someone who is willing to consciously do something you consider retarded... and people you meet your whole life are going to feel similarly. As I said, some of these people, if they're fairly intelligent/enlightened will get over it once they get to know you even if they find the idea gross/stupid.

If this is a non-issue for you or whatever it is that you think you are "getting" from having scribbles all over your body outweigh this or other downsides, definitely go for it. Just do not lie to yourself about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

• Members
I honestly can't think of any picture I've liked so much I would ever want it o be permanently connected to my body... and really, anyone who tries to deny that tattoos have not become this sort of hip "edgy" fashion thing of late (last decade) is in denial, it is the mullet of the new millennium: It's the way that kids who's parents are jaded by biracial dating, long hair on men, and piercings, drive them insane these days.

Given changing aesthetics, and this cultural scenario, I seriously think a lot of you guys that are "into" it now (i.e. massive, garish, tattoos) are going to feel like complete idiots when you're older...

So there's that... and then there's general perception by others. (and as an aside, anyone who claims they have no concern for what any other people think etc, are 100% full of {censored}. You may not care what some group thinks of you but there is *someone* on this planet's surface who's opinion you either care about now or will in the future).

So, FWIW, for people with "serious" tats (i.e. sleeves, full body stuff, etc), I immediately get an inbred trailer trash biker felon vibe from them and ditto most other people I've talked to about the subject. Sorry, it's a natural reaction. I get a gangsta vibe from people who wear gangsta gear, and a redneck vibe from skoal-dipping guys wearing overalls with trucker hats, too, etc. Like it or not, everyone has a certain set of archetypes they've built up from personal experience and cultural pressures and bias.

Before you knee jerk and call "prejudice", I'd say consider yourself first... People, by design, are constantly sizing up their surroundings for threats and opportunities and these things have become cues in our society for specific meanings. I'm wise enough to realize that a guy in overalls, gangster gear, or tats, may be smart, kind, fun, and responsible, in spite of having a look that doesn't jive with my initial tastes, therefore, I try to not let this overwhelm my opinion (as most non-excessively-prejudice people do) and I have friends that would fit into these categories on first blush. But to say that it does not affect most viewers' initial take on someone is foolish and you're lying to yourself if you think it doesn't, so it might make some sense to consider it before you permanently align yourself with a particular subculture.

All these guys who dig tattoos and get a sense of belonging and connectedness to a certain subculture as a result (example: creating your own slang like "inked", etc) are going to be way enthusiastic (and simultaneously defensive). So, okay, if being a part of that group is part of your goal in getting a tattoo, sure, take their experiences and advice into account.

But, they're really a fashion statement that is hard to unmake: A favorite shirt that requires surgery to take off. Given that, I'm willing to bet that you will not feel the same way about whatever is on there in ten to twenty years, at least not from an aesthetic standpoint. Even things you think are "meaningful" can back fire... I guarantee you when your daughter is around 14 or so and going through the phase of life where kids try to establish themselves as independent from their parents she'll be so embarrassed of your tattoo she'll silently wish your arm would fall off. I know I would've felt that way.
;)

So, really, given all this, in that regard they strike me, personally, as sort of inherently stupid. (Hey, Look! I've had a baseball cap surgically grafted to my head!!). Given that feeling, it is extremely difficult not to generally question the rationality and character of someone who is willing to consciously do something you consider retarded... and people you meet your whole life are going to feel similarly. As I said, some of these people, if they're fairly intelligent/enlightened will get over it once they get to know you even if they find the idea gross/stupid.

If this is a non-issue for you or whatever it is that you think you are "getting" from having scribbles all over your body outweigh this or other downsides, definitely go for it.

Im just gonna say that i dont agree with anything that you said:thu:

• Members

Im just gonna say that i dont agree with anything that you said:thu:

Fair enough, it's obviously your choice. Just saying that I wouldn't do it and why. Public service, announcement. Just don't be a retard and not at least think about the implications first. Hopefully, you can at least respect the concern for another HCAFer.

I also question the truth of "i dont agree with anything that you said" since I was considering parts of both sides and some general issues to some degree. This makes your response seem somewhat flippant to me.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy your "Koi".

Archived