New Roland (desktop?) Synth

Re-Member

• Members

Not a winner if you like to edit a lot of patches, I mean only 59 user slots. Idiots.
:facepalm:

There are approximately 1100 user spaces for new sounds divided into sections (synth tones, acoustic and PCM). The exact amount varies between the sections. You can also write over the internal synth tones. PS I have one here on review at the mo.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This looks better than I expected. So from what I'm seeing, you can only have 4 SRX cards on one particular PART. But you could load 4 other cards into a different PART, etc, essentially giving you access to all 12 cards at the same time within a STUDIO SET. Are others reading this the same way?

When it looks like it's to good to be true, than it probably is to good to be true.

I'm very sure that you are wrong.

The diagram suggests that you have a sound source (pictured on the left side) which is available for up to 16 parts. I'm sure it's 4 expansion slots for the whole device. Certainly not for each part. Otherwise that would be a very redundant construction.

Not only that, it wouldn't make any sense.

One part relates to one sound. What would you need for expansions for if you can use only one patch/sound for a part?

• Members

When it looks like it's to good to be true, than it probably is to good to be true.

I'm very sure that you are wrong.

The diagram suggests that you have a sound source (pictured on the left side) which is available for up to 16 parts. I'm sure it's 4 expansion slots for the whole device. Certainly not for each part. Otherwise that would be a very redundant construction.

Not only that, it wouldn't make any sense.

One part relates to one sound. What would you need for expansions for if you can use only one patch/sound for a part?

Yes. 4 slots for the whole device.

• Members

How do you edit the sounds, is there any software editor? I read that you can edit from iPad but that is insane! I do not want a iPad, come on Roland!!!! this can not be true?

if you want the interga7 you'll want an ipad..it's that simple!

to be fair..editing with an ipad is always going to be better than some buttons and tiny lcd screen.

• Members

It appears the structure is limiting you to 4 slots (or 1 big slot if using HQ PCM) for the ''Expansion Virtual Slots'' section.

However it appears all sixteen parts also have access to the PCM and the Supernatural. So three basic library elements at a time which cover alot of tones.

Its a shame that that limit is there in any case if so...

• Members

That sucks. What happens when you load a patch that uses sounds from another SRX card? Are there loading screens?

This is feeling more and more like Roland just slapped together the chips from the Fantom X with the Jupiter-50 and the FX processor from the G.

When/if the keyboard version comes out they'll probably call it the V-Fantom.

• Members

How do you edit the sounds, is there any software editor? I read that you can edit from iPad but that is insane!

I don't know whether a computer editor will be available, but really, assuming it's well done, I think the touchscreen approach for editing is better. You can save some money there if you want by picking up a used one... early iPads can go for under $200 and should work fine for this purpose. And even for someone who doesn't otherwise care to buy an iPad, at least the "optional iPad editor" it's a whole lot cheaper than the dedicated editing devices Roland used to make available for their high end rack units.

My biggest concern with the iPad approach is what happens when the iPad battery dies. People don't replace gear as often as computer tech. An Integra-7 owner (or someone he sells it to) may want to use it 10 or 20 years from now (plenty of people today still use gear that is 20+ years old). The iPad battery is not going to last that long and is not easily replaceable, and I would not assume that there will be any device you can buy 10 years from now that will run today's iPad apops. I hope the iPad at least continues to work well when connected to AC, even if its battery is dead. (And since, at least using Apple's USB adapter, you can't have a USB device and an AC charger connected at the same time, so there might be an extra reason to go the wireless connectivity route on the Integra.)

Of course, computer based editors have a somewhat similar problem. There are early MIDI devices that had computer based editors, and those editors don't run on any modern computer hardware. I would not count on any computer editor today running on any device you'll be able to buy 10 or 20 years from now.

• Members

This is feeling more and more like Roland just slapped together the chips from the Fantom X with the Jupiter-50 and the FX processor from the G.

In a sense, yes, it is close to that... it's nearly the virtual (or in some cases, literal) combination ("slapping together" if you prefer) of a keyboardless Jupiter 50, an XV-5080, SRX cards, and a bunch of other stuff, in a well-priced device with a convenient form factor and iPad touchscreen editing. Cool!

• Members

I'm just surprised they didn't merge the content of all the SRX cards into one larger ROM bank so that it would be freely assignable. For all I know, there may have been certain constraints or technical limits they had to deal with that I'm not aware of. It's even possible that Roland installed original discrete SRX chips into each unit -- they probably had a couple hundred thousand of them lying around anyway. Still, it seems like it would have been a good idea to leave the '12 card' partition structure behind and start anew.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

I'm just surprised they didn't merge the content of all the SRX cards into one larger ROM bank so that it would be freely assignable. For all I know, there may have been certain constraints or technical limits they had to deal with that I'm not aware of. It's even possible that Roland installed original discrete SRX chips into each unit -- they probably had a couple hundred thousand of them lying around anyway. Still, it seems like it would have been a good idea to leave the '12 card' partition structure behind and start anew.

''Loading'', may indicate RAM - which would mean you have to reload on power up (not one by one, but it would probably boot as you left it or give you a boot library to choose from under different projects)

If they have FLASH then that is even better but that would explain the limit as folk have stated that memory type is not cheap just now..

What they could have done (assuming the SRX memory structure allows it) is for you to choose the sounds to be loaded in to RAM. That is how the MV works, you load from library that can be any sound set in the world and then load to project library where RAM size is the limit of project capacity...

In this day and age of tech it is strange... Unless the marketing folk thought it would be cool for existing SRX users to feel a hardware limit, in this virtual SRX machine... LOL

• Members

I have to say on first hearing the 'news' that the integra7 was the new product..i wan't that interested...but having looked at the videos and listened to the soundcloud demo's...Hmm...it's on my list of "take a closer look"

hope to see a sonicstate review soon.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goldphinga

View Post

I have one here on review at the mo.

I'm interested in knowing more about the "audio streaming over USB". Can you provide any details about that? For example, is it bidirectional -- can you playback a stereo waveform (from the computer) through the Roland? Or is it limited only to recording the stereo (digital) output of the Roland? If it supports playback, can the waveform be routed through any of the Roland's effects? Finally, does it require OS drivers, or is it instead USBAUDIO standard?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

I have to say on first hearing the 'news' that the integra7 was the new product..i wan't that interested...but having looked at the videos and listened to the soundcloud demo's...Hmm...it's on my list of "take a closer look"

hope to see a sonicstate review soon.

Do you think Nick will put a Virus T shirt on... LOL

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

I'm just surprised they didn't merge the content of all the SRX cards into one larger ROM bank so that it would be freely assignable. For all I know, there may have been certain constraints or technical limits they had to deal with that I'm not aware of.

Probably cost. The SRX cards and other sounds that can be loaded into the slots probably total over a gigabyte of data. Remember, the sounds ARE in there in some kind of ROM already. When you load them into the slots, they are coming from somewhere, you know! But putting it all into high speed accessible memory would be more expensive than putting it into cheap slow storage memory. So they do the latter, and give you some pricier fast RAM into which you can load portions of it as needed.

• Members

I just did a zoom on the flowchart on the case. USB audio streaming is indeed bi-directional. So folks should bear in mind that, in addition to being a sound module, this also functions as a stereo 24-bit, 96 KHz, USB computer recording interface (and USB MIDI interface). So in addition to playing your computer MIDI sequencer's backing tracks on the Roland, you can also plug a mic or line in instrument into the Roland and record that mic/instrument as a stereo track in your computer DAW. You can also capture the integra's main audio outs as a stereo waveform in your DAW. In other words, just this one box, a mic, and a computer could technically function as a home recording studio for someone who wishes to make his own mixes. (And still sound pro).

The caveats: Neither the mic/line jacks, nor the played-back wave track, can be routed through the roland effects except for the reverb and chorus units, master EQ, and this "motional sound" effect. So if you need some other effect on mic/line in, you'll need to use a VST (ie, software effect).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

Probably cost. The SRX cards and other sounds that can be loaded into the slots probably total over a gigabyte of data. Remember, the sounds ARE in there in some kind of ROM already. When you load them into the slots, they are coming from somewhere, you know! But putting it all into high speed accessible memory would be more expensive than putting it into cheap slow storage memory. So they do the latter, and give you some pricier fast RAM into which you can load portions of it as needed.

If someone has never owned a Roland with SRX expansion, this sounds like a complete unit, even while its pricey. Easily, 6 (estimated) of the SRX's are dated , old acoustic pianos, etc, etc so they are not useful. With the other SRX's, each SRX had 5 or 10 really useful or interesting patches. But the remaining patches were pedestrian. Thats my perspective having owned some of the SRX's. I would think the Supernatural tones/patches are more useful.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

Each card was 32Mb (64Mb when converted to linear format). So that's 384Mb of data for all the cards.

The true reason might be due to the regurgitation of technology from the Fantom X, and the fact that it could only support 4 SRX cards.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goldphinga

View Post

There are approximately 1100 user spaces for new sounds divided into sections (synth tones, acoustic and PCM). The exact amount varies between the sections. You can also write over the internal synth tones. PS I have one here on review at the mo.

So are the SRX based sounds fully editable, as in say with the depth of the XV5080?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by k2500x

View Post

Each card was 32Mb (64Mb when converted to linear format). So that's 384Mb of data for all the cards.

It's true that the 64 mb of data on an SRX card it is compressed to something under 64mb, but I don't know if it's necessarily reduced all the way to 32 mb. I also don't know whether the Integra architecture is designed to work with the compressed data. So there are some guesses and assumptions there.

But also, the 4 slots are not just for the 12 SRX cards, they are also for the 6 additional SuperNATURAL acoustic libraries (for the extra SN sounds that aren't part of the core set of sounds) and for the enhanced PCM GM2 set (which by itself takes up all 4 slots, so it's a lot of data). So, all together, there are 20 slots worth of loadable sounds that you can choose from to put into the 4 slots. That's why I said it's probably over a gigabyte of data.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Son of HuHefner

View Post

Easily, 6 (estimated) of the SRX's are dated , old acoustic pianos, etc, etc so they are not useful.

I tend to agree. Some of the SRX stuff is quite good, and would fill in some of the gaps in the Jupiter 80 soundset, but a lot of it is not nearly as good as the SN stuff, and would probably mostly be of interest to someone specifically trying to recapture a particular legacy sound. Personally, if I got an Integra, I doubt there are more than 4 SRX cards I'd care much about anyway.

Archived