New Roland (desktop?) Synth

Re-Member

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wu

View Post

i am pretty sure that the JP and the Integra share the same engine (aka supernatural synth and acoustic). The Integra has the advantage of offering the complete XV5080 engine on top.

seeing screen shots of the synth editor on the ipad from the integra7 it looks the same as the jupiter 80's ipad editor.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by triton76

View Post

doesn't the JP80 have a VA and clone wheel in addition to the rompler?

Integra appears to be just a rompler.

The JP80 has

* SuperNATURAL modeled acoustic sounds -- which includes a clonewheel model

* SuperNATURAL VA synth section

There is no traditional rompler section.

The Integra appears to have

* SuperNATURAL modeled acoustic sounds -- actually, more of them than the Jupiter 80 -- but it is unclear as to whether they included the clonewheel model

* SuperNATURAL VA synth section

* SuperNATUARL drum/fx section

* PCM rompler section (the XV-5080 sound set, plus selectable content from the 12 SRX cars or the high quality GM2 soundset)

* surround sound processor

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by asynchro_nous

View Post

But if you're stuck with XV presets only and no editing/programming of patches would you still think of it as offering the complete engine of the XV5080?

I would be surprised if the legacy patches are not as editable as they were on the XV-5080. But I haven't seen confirmation.

• Members

I would not be surprised if no SRX edits as to edit those SRX patches would require a full fantom synth engine and if they have no editor that would be the experience from hell editing from the front panel..

We have not seen how they will allow Supernatural Acoustic Patch saving, nor for any other synth engine apart from the Supernatural synth which seems to be there day one like the new Jup's..

Until you guys see the features demonstrated, I say it is best treated as a preset PCM/Supernatural/GM with adjustable MFX per part machine. The only synth we know that can be edited as I mention above... Possible very basic Supernatural Acoustic editting. Does it even save MFX per patch. On the Fantom G patch MFX was called PFX... They are not always consistant with naming but one to check out for too

It would be the worlds worst marketing goof to not demo these features by now. Or the worlds biggest buyer assumption to think they are all there now...

Remember when people dumped their Fantom X's and bought Fantom G's only to have to then have to buy a Fantom Rack to allow SRX sounds again...

Never assume anything... too much wishful thinking in this thread me thinks... icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

but...wait until Nick from sonic state get a hold of him next week!...there's no hiding from Nick...he'll dig in deep!

No disrespect to Nick, but last time we had two guys that did not fully understand the Jupiter 50 talking about a Jupiter 50 (you know who was wearing a Virus T shirt)... It was kind of lame and this will be equally painful.. They have so many new features to talk about the ability to hide that fact it appears the SRX/PCM/GM HD are all just presets is what will happen in every demo... It should have been demo'd by now... On the GAIA the HD PCM (8 of them) had very basic edits. Nice, yes, useful, yes. I have no issue if that is all this has with sorround sound and a cheery on top... Great stuff...

However for anyone thinking this thing has a full Fantom X stuffed in it's fanny pack I fear you will have no need for a tissue... LOL

The Manual will reveal all... lets hold our breath a little longer...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

Remember when people dumped their Fantom X's and bought Fantom G's only to have to then have to buy a Fantom Rack to allow SRX sounds again...

Well, nobody with more brains than cash did that ... It was apparent from the first go-around on Fan-G (later confirmed with side by side testing) that the G's soundset was anything but a "Best of SRX" solution ... And frankly, there was hardly any difference in sound quality except for a boomy low-end quality to some of the G's apparently new patches ... Patches that had the same name on Fan-G and Fan-X sounded pretty much identical ...

One thing I discovered later, though, is that re-sampling on Fan-G did in fact sound much more 1:1 than on Fan-X (without going through the X's time-consuming sample edit "emphasis" buisness ... )

Fan-G was actually a very nice workstation hobbled with a workable-at-best soundset with little recourse for expansion, an unfinished "power sequencer" and the ARX card debacle ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Caligvla

View Post

Well, nobody with more brains than cash did that ...

The funny thing was, the Guy that did the original demo videos for Roland UK, admitted doing just that... On his Blog he admitted the lost SRX sounds and then went on to pick up a Fantom Rack... He seemed pissed at Roland if you ask me, but I agree with you, people need to research these things rather than rant after the fact...

wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Caligvla

View Post

Fan-G was actually a very nice workstation hobbled with a workable-at-best soundset with little recourse for expansion, an unfinished "power sequencer" and the ARX card debacle ...

There's still hope I think. Roland could easily bring a new workstation to the market by recycling the Fantom-G sequencer with some minor improvements (Korg's just re-releasing the Oasys and the M3 sequencers these days in new products, and it's working well for them IMHO).

How about an "Integra-88" with added sampling capabilities and the Fantom-G sequencer? I think it would instantly compete with Kronos and whatever Yamaha comes up with next.

Speaking of Yamaha - I think they should have a Halion workstation plus the VL, AN and DX synth codes built into their synthesis engine!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

There's still hope I think. Roland could easily bring a new workstation to the market by recycling the Fantom-G sequencer with some minor improvements (Korg's just re-releasing the Oasys and the M3 sequencers these days in new products, and it's working well for them IMHO).

How about an "Integra-88" with added sampling capabilities and the Fantom-G sequencer? I think it would instantly compete with Kronos and whatever Yamaha comes up with next.

Speaking of Yamaha - I think they should have a Halion workstation plus the VL, AN and DX synth codes built into their synthesis engine!

Minor improvements...like getting rid of the horrible phrase-based concept...not to mention the rigid project structure of the FG which did not allow users to load in a patch or song from a different project on the USB stick.

If Roland decides to release a new workstation I sure hope that they have taken the criticism on the FG to heart.

I really like the sounds of the SN engine; they give Roland a unique signature, and it would be a shame if they decide to release a workstation which does not address the issues in the FG which bothered so many people.

When it comes to the way features are promoted by Roland you better check and double-check anything before buying.

• Members

For years I've wished that Roland would release a workstation with the Fantom G's sequencer and large display (preferrably a touch display), but with a full featured VA section, and the entire SRX sound collection built in.

It's well within reach for them to do, since they've essentially already released these products in the past.

But that's just the problem. Roland has never been willing to take the leap and go 'all in' on their workstations. Their philosophy in designing workstations is quite different from, say, Korg. Roland likes to separate out key design features into various products, whereas Korg tends to implement a certain feature in their entire line of products but to varying degrees -- for example, MMT. Korg assumes -- correctly, in my view -- that putting MMT in one product won't keep people from buying other Korg products with that same technology implemented differently.

Taking this further, if Roland released a workstation with a decent sequencer and display, the entire SRX collection, and a multi-model VA -- maybe a virtual Jupiter 8 (as Arturia has already done quite well), Juno 106, and maybe even a virtual D50 and JD990 with vintage synth expansion -- EVERYBODY would want one. They could practically name their price. Give it a dedicated right-side panel of 4 X 8 knobs (or an optional, USB powered, PG style programming interface) and it would be a programmer's dream. They could even design the PG panel to sit in its own built-in cradle at a steep slant at the back of the workstation surface. Or it could fold out on a hinge.

Just imagine having the entire SRX collection, a sequencer with 16 or 24 audio tracks (essentially recycling their MV and VS products), and 4 built-in classic synth models with dedicated knobs to program it.

I'd pay 4 grand for something like that.

• Members

View Post

sonicstate review

So in the vid, we discover when you boot you need to reload SRX etc to RAM as it does not recall that in a Studio Set...

We learn that effects can only be edited on the unit, not the iPAD

We learn it does sound good (official demo's not including the recent ones in thread where a tad dull). Although most if not all those demos where SN sounds which we know sounds OK, so therefore no comparison for the SRX etc which may be duller?

We learn nothing about edits AS PREDICTED.. In that sense lame for what was needed.. Will they ever show how to tweak and save a SRX or PCM patch...

It was a generic sales pitch... worth 6000 smackers he said... No mention to Nick that SRX will not have the same SRX effects or how they edit..

Buyer beware, still lots of unanswered questions...

I like it but wish they would come clean about what it really is... This is obfuscation at its best...

• Members

View Post

note that the legacy collection is going to be for the jupiter 80, jupiter 50..........................and the integra 7 so for legacy sounds...if the stand up well this looks to answer some of your dreams!

That was nice to know and he did say they will sound different as the effects blocks are different when discussing those...

As I say kind of flying past the other stuff we want to know about also...

• Members

View Post

So in the vid, we discover when you boot you need to reload SRX etc to RAM as it does not recall that in a Studio Set...

We learn that effects can only be edited on the unit, not the iPAD

We learn it does sound good (official demo's not including the recent ones in thread where a tad dull). Although most if not all those demos where SN sounds which we know sounds OK, so therefore no comparison for the SRX etc which may be duller?

We learn nothing about edits AS PREDICTED.. In that sense lame for what was needed.. Will they ever show how to tweak and save a SRX or PCM patch...

It was a generic sales pitch... worth 6000 smackers he said... No mention to Nick that SRX will not have the same SRX effects or how they edit..

Buyer beware, still lots of unanswered questions...

I like it but wish they would come clean about what it really is... This is obfuscation at its best...

yeh bottomline is...it's not available until October...by which time we should have access to reading thru the user manual PDF

it's a big synth...hard to cover everything...they wern't slow in chit chatting in the video and it was a 20mins plus video...if you wanted to see hear everything...you'd need maybe a 90min video...your not gonna cover everything in 20mins!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

For years I've wished that Roland would release a workstation with the Fantom G's sequencer and large display (preferrably a touch display), but with a full featured VA section, and the entire SRX sound collection built in.

It's well within reach for them to do, since they've essentially already released these products in the past.

But that's just the problem. Roland has never been willing to take the leap and go 'all in' on their workstations. Their philosophy in designing workstations is quite different from, say, Korg. Roland likes to separate out key design features into various products, whereas Korg tends to implement a certain feature in their entire line of products but to varying degrees -- for example, MMT. Korg assumes -- correctly, in my view -- that putting MMT in one product won't keep people from buying other Korg products with that same technology implemented differently.

Taking this further, if Roland released a workstation with a decent sequencer and display, the entire SRX collection, and a multi-model VA -- maybe a virtual Jupiter 8 (as Arturia has already done quite well), Juno 106, and maybe even a virtual D50 and JD990 with vintage synth expansion -- EVERYBODY would want one. They could practically name their price. Give it a dedicated right-side panel of 4 X 8 knobs (or an optional, USB powered, PG style programming interface) and it would be a programmer's dream. They could even design the PG panel to sit in its own built-in cradle at a steep slant at the back of the workstation surface. Or it could fold out on a hinge.

Just imagine having the entire SRX collection, a sequencer with 16 or 24 audio tracks (essentially recycling their MV and VS products), and 4 built-in classic synth models with dedicated knobs to program it.

I'd pay 4 grand for something like that.

I want to know what you consumed today.. Can I buy it over here, it will make me happy too ;-)

• Members

View Post

I want to know what you consumed today.. Can I buy it over here, it will make me happy too ;-)

LOL

Hey, we both know I need fewer keyboards, and if Roland would just put everything in one workstation, I might have a shot. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

yeh bottomline is...it's not available until October...by which time we should have access to reading thru the user manual PDF

it's a big synth...hard to cover everything...they wern't slow in chit chatting in the video and it was a 20mins plus video...if you wanted to see hear everything...you'd need maybe a 90min video...your not gonna cover everything in 20mins!!!

That was my point Kiddo... you suggested it would reveal, we pretty much knew it all that it demo'd anyway... As I say the guy was doing a sales pitch.. It is not a walk through of how it works...

We still await the manual.. hold yerh breath partner ;-)

Archived