New Roland (desktop?) Synth

Re-Member

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the look of the iPad software interface, and the Motional Surround sound feature looks interesting. I'm not a big fan of the rack form factor, however, and I'm still wondering what exactly this "Powerful SuperNATURAL synth engine with fat analog synth models and vintage filter types" really entails. If it's really a collection of various modeled synths, then I hope it's not difficult to get into them and program them.

If they're going to release something with this much under the hood, I wish they'd also release a large dedicated flat panel PG style edit controller with soft buttons, lots of sliders, and an iPad cradle built into it.

• Members

The bad news is, when you're using the superNatural stuff you may not even get access to any SRX cards. And I assume it takes some time to swap cards in and out of memory, so even if there are plenty of user setups, you still probably have to wait some time to switch between them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by k2500x

View Post

The bad news is, when you're using the superNatural stuff you may not even get access to any SRX cards.

What makes you think that? It looks like you can access the core SuperNatural stuff all the time, and then on top of that, you can load whatever combination of up to 4 SRX or additional SN banks.

• Members

''4 Slots * The following titles are loaded from the internal memory into the virtual slots.

SRX Series (12 titles) SRX-01 Dynamic Drum Kits SRX-02 Concert Piano SRX-03 Studio SRX SRX-04 Symphonique Strings SRX-05 Supreme Dance SRX-06 Complete Orchestra SRX-07 Ultimate Keys SRX-08 Platinum Trax SRX-09 World Collection SRX-10 Big Brass Ensemble SRX-11 Complete Piano SRX-12

Classic EPs Expansion SuperNATURAL Sounds (6 titles) ExSN1 Ethnic ExSN2 Wood Winds ExSN3 Session ExSN4 A.Guitar ExSN5 Brass ExSN6

SFX Expansion Hi-Quality PCM Sounds (1 title)

ExPCM HQ GM2 + HQ PCM Sound Collection

* The SRX Series and the Expansion SuperNATURAL Sounds use one virtual slot per title. * The Expansion Hi-Quality PCM Sounds use all four virtual slots. ''

Therefore the rest of the SuperNatural stuff and sub PCM contained (SuperNATURAL Acoustic SuperNATURAL Synth SuperNATURAL Drum Kit PCM Synth PCM Drum Kit * GM2 compatible sounds)

Appear to be separate... Lets wait for the manual...

wave.gif

• Members

Put simply that thing can just about play every type of synth/tone under the hood at once

Update.. except the vitual slots are limited to 4 vitual cards at one time. Otherwise virtually all sounds engines available at once as a library to load per part

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

you'll find a more easy to read version of the top panel in the latest roland product catalogue pdf i was reading today...drat can't find the link!

Click on the link and hit the plus sign... easy to read

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

isn't that what the korg kronos and the yamaha motif offer also?

korg_kronos_614.jpg

18274584159780122.jpg

There all different in their own wee ways...

This tone module does not tell us yet how big the MFX's are. If they are basic then just one MFX per part may be limiting... although they do have eq and master reverb/chorus eq in the chain which was not the case on the Jup80 which relied IIRC on having an EQ in the MFX which many of the EFX did have. The Ver2 that gave better routing helped. I suspect they have either revamped the MFX in this thing or they may not see it as being so important... One of the things people should check before purchase...

I get the feeling this is part of a new Fantom in the wings ;-)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill

View Post

facepalm.gif

They are saying all TRS, but Roland says:

INPUT jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type, Front)

INPUT jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type, Rear)

OUTPUT A (MIX) jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch TRS phone type)

OUTPUT A (MIX) jacks (L, R) (XLR type)

OUTPUT B jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type)

OUTPUT C jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type)

OUTPUT D jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type)

Someone is wrong... One more gotcha if you believe the wrong specs...

• Members

Look at the picture of the back panel, top right. It is clearly indicated on the unit itself that they are TRS.

And that does not contradict 1/4" phone. That's exactly what's on standard 1/4" headphones, which is why these connectors are called phone in the first place. (Now, if they said 1/4" guitar type, that would indicate a 2-conductor mono 1/4" jack.)

Archived