Would you gig with 15 watts (tube)?

unit11

• Members

Knowing that you were only using it for a distorted sound - I'm looking at an Orange Tiny Terror and was wondering what sort of sound one could expect from it and if it was gig worthy. By gig worthy, I mean will I hear it over a drummer and the rest of the band and such unmic'd - that is important because not every gig I've played at had a decent PA system for that kind of thing, and my band only owns two mics which we use for vocals. (venues are like small clubs or other tight and enclosed spaces that the local music scene plays at around here)

I'm hoping Tiny Terror would provide some real classic rock or heavy british sounds, to contrast what I usually use, my too-many-watts-but-too-fun-to-stop-using 5150. And I was hoping that 15 watts would work because it would be neat to get a seriously cranked sound for gigs... or am I just deluded on some level?

• Members

when my 5150 was in the shop for something, i used the tiny terror i had at the time at band practice instead, and it sounded great!

i'd gig with it if i had to, so long as its miced and through at least a 2x12.

i don't know if i'd trust it unmiced at a gig if you're playing with a loud drummer.

• Members

Could any one post some clips of a Tiny Terror? I'd like to hear one so I can think on this a little more - I've always liked what I've heard about Orange's reputation which is why I'm looking at possibly grabbing one (you know, if I can convince my self and find some moneys), but I've never heard this particular amp and NEVER seen it in stores.

• Members

I would and have gigged with 15 watt amps many times. I wouldn't gig unmiced though. Not because the amp isn't loud enough, but because it just doesn't sound as good in the audience that way.

• Members

I'm using a red fang (which I think is a pretty efficient speaker) with my tweed deluxe clone (about 12 watts). I can NOT crank it up without attenuating. In fact, I've played several gigs on it using it clean, and still had the attenuator (mini-mass) on. It has never been mic'ed into a PA.

• Members

My 18 watt has plenty of volume for gigs, and it'll tear the paint off of the walls when cranked. Wattage actually has very little bearing on volume above a certain point, it more affects the tone.

Yeah, this is why I even considered 15 watts. I wasn't sure, though, because I have limited experience with tube gear.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

• Members

Yeah, you should be golden with that amp, since it is a head. Cabs make all the difference when using low-wattage amps like this one. I hooked my old 50's ~10 Watt Danelectro amp into my Mesa 4x12 the other day and it was absolutely crushing! If you have a 10-15Watt combo, though, that's another story. At that point, it's up to the sound guy's competence on whether or not you'll be heard! (I've recently had a bad experience on this topic! :mad: )

• Members

5150 4x12? That would be killer! But tonewise, it's up to what kind of speakers are in it...Probably high-wattage ceramics, huh? For a 15 Watt, your best bet would be to replace those stock speakers with low-wattage Alnicos...not necessarily those $1000000 Celestion Blues, but something similar...like Webers. That would be an insanely awesome-sounding rig, man! You could also just go ahead and just get an empty 2x12 to put two Alnico speakers in, that would still be plenty loud enough for gigging. ...And would look tight! :thu: Un-mic'd, you'd probably want to stick with the 4x12...

• Members
5150 4x12? That would be killer! But tonewise, it's up to what kind of speakers are in it...Probably high-wattage ceramics, huh? For a 15 Watt, your best bet would be to replace those stock speakers with low-wattage Alnicos...not necessarily those $1000000 Celestion Blues, but something similar...like Webers. That would be an insanely awesome-sounding rig, man!
:thu:

It really depends on the tone. The Marshall 18 watt cabs aand combos ship with Greenbacks in them, which a ceramic magnet, and I know a lot of guys who use H30's with their 18 watts, and those are ceramic also. If you're staying vintage, Alnico may be a good bet, but if you are moving to a more modern tone (or pushing a lot of distortion), ceramic magnets may be the way to roll.

• Members

Yeah, I know what you mean, Weathered...I'm an vintage Alnico freak, though. :cool: unit11 - just go ahead an try the 5150 4x12 as it is with the ceramics, you might like it just the way it is! Although, low-wattage speakers will generally sound better with that low-wattage head we're speaking about...

• Members

Cool - I wanted to make sure that if I nabbed a Tiny Terror it wouldn't require me to get a new cab right away; I just don't have that much cash floating around anymore! Think I'm going to do it. :)

• Members

Through a 4X12 15 watts is still pretty loud, though if you're drummer is a cement mixer it could be an issue. But that's a problem regardless of amp, IMO. Drummers that play all out all the time can be a nightmare. My Super Champ through my 4X12 is plenty loud enough, but if I was going to use it I'd almost rather just put it up on a stand and mic it, then bother with the 4X12. Mic'd small amps still sound big, unmic'd they can sound a little thinner, IMO compared to bigger amps.

• Members

I've only head one or two gigs where I've been unmic'd and it was a house set up, but sometimes my band likes to do our own thing and we don't have a proper PA system. So most of the time, if it's an unmic'd settings, its just me and the guys dicking around. Hence why I'm not too worried about it even though a couple of people have said it wouldn't be smart to gig unmic'd. I'm thinking I could just bring my usual set up plus this little monster, since its smaller than a duffel bag!

Archived