Would you gig with 15 watts (tube)?

unit11

• Members

My 18W wouldn't need to be mic'd using a 4x12. It's only 4 or 5 dB quieter than a 50 watter would be with the same speakers.

And where would you play that they didn't mic the amps?

A lot of small places around here don't mic anything except vocals obviously. Unmiced I wouldn't be able to hear a 15w over my drummer most of the time.

• Members

A lot of small places around here don't mic anything except vocals obviously. Unmiced I wouldn't be able to hear a 15w over my drummer most of the time.

What are you using right now? Because my 18W drowns out my AC30, which has been known to keep up with 50W Plexi's at one point or another. It's all about the design of the amp, not the wattage rating.

Unless you are running your JCM800 wide open, an 18W Marshall would keep up with it just fine. It'd be a little bit more distorted, but it'd definitely have the volume.

• Members

What are you using right now? Because my 18W drowns out my AC30, which has been known to keep up with 50W Plexi's at one point or another. It's all about the design of the amp, not the wattage rating.

Unless you are running your JCM800 wide open, an 18W Marshall would keep up with it just fine. It'd be a little bit more distorted, but it'd definitely have the volume.

I run my 2203 at about 5-7 live (through greenbacks). Actually this summer I plan on getting an 18w marshall clone from ceriatone. What 18w do you have?

• Members
I run my 2203 at about 5-7 live (through greenbacks). Actually this summer I plan on getting an 18w marshall clone from ceriatone. What 18w do you have?

I have a Ceriatone TMB that I ordered raw and built, and then tweaked to taste (stock, they're a little bassy and lack some bite), and I've got a Marwatt on the bench ATM (it's an 18W power section with a Hiwatt-styled preamp).

I love low wattage amps. :love:

• Members
I have a Ceriatone TMB that I ordered raw and built, and then tweaked to taste (stock, they're a little bassy and lack some bite), and I've got a Marwatt on the bench ATM (it's an 18W power section with a Hiwatt-styled preamp).

I love low wattage amps.
:love:

Nice. I want something I can get a great tone out of at a resonable volume. Lord knows that's not happening with a 2203 or gh100l. The Ceritatone TMB looks great for $465 assembled. Is shipping real expensive?

• Members

15 watts is very loud, there's no reason you can't gig with it.

I've had some drummers that were hard to clearly hear a 100 Watt half stack over without bottoming out the speakers; but I guess it depends on what type of sound you're going for.

• Members
Nice. I want something I can get a great tone out of at a resonable volume. Lord knows that's not happening with a 2203 or gh100l. The Ceritatone TMB looks great for $465 assembled. Is shipping real expensive?

Trust me, the 18W needs to be turned up to get any good dirt - they aren't designed as quiet amps. You may want to find someone to build you a T-Rex if you want something 18 watts and dirty.

The shipping from Ceriatone is like $70-$80, but he ships really fast and his wiring is very clean. :thu:

• Members
Trust me, the 18W needs to be turned up to get any good dirt - they aren't designed as quiet amps. You may want to find someone to build you a T-Rex if you want something 18 watts and dirty.

The shipping from Ceriatone is like $70-$80, but he ships really fast and his wiring is very clean.
:thu:

Well, I don't play with much gain anyway, plus I gots me an OCD and a few fuzz pedals.

• Members

I've had some drummers that were hard to clearly hear a 100 Watt half stack over without bottoming out the speakers; but I guess it depends on what type of sound you're going for.

Its all about positioning. Get your speakers closer to you and/or set up farther from the drummer. Also, I get a kick out of the people that are adding, "ya, if I was miked". Is this the 60's-70's or what? It has been many years since I've played a gig w/o running through the mains. And I haven't seen any gigs like that in a long time from any bands.

I definitely wouldn't gig if I had to try and create enough guitar volume to fill an average venue all from volume that originates from behind me. No thanks.

• Members

Its all about positioning. Get your speakers closer to you and/or set up farther from the drummer. Also, I get a kick out of the people that are adding, "ya, if I was miked". Is this the 60's-70's or what? It has been many years since I've played a gig w/o running through the mains. And I haven't seen any gigs like that in a long time from any bands.

I definitely wouldn't gig if I had to try and create enough guitar volume to fill an average venue all from volume that originates from behind me. No thanks.

Works fine around here for the most part.

• Members
Works fine around here for the most part.

I certainly wouldn't stand in front of that kind of volume for three hours straight, night after night. That's nuts. Even in the 70's-early 80's I used a pair of 2x12" cabs situated beside each bank of PA cabs to carry my guitar in the room(in addition to my 4x12 behind me.

• Members

I once gigged a large indoor auditiorium with my Epi valve junior through a VOX 4X12... it was plenty enough. That same setup in a smaller place (like a bar or something) would be much too loud

You "once" did that? The Valve Jr has only been out about a year, hasn't it? Anyway, yours must be pretty special because mine would get buried onstage really quickly and our stage volume is very modest for an overall loud band.

• Members
Yeah, I know what you mean, Weathered...I'm an vintage Alnico freak, though.
:cool:
unit11 - just go ahead an try the 5150 4x12 as it is with the ceramics, you might like it just the way it is! Although, low-wattage speakers will generally sound better with that low-wattage head we're speaking about...

I don't necessarliy agree with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, if anyone cares, I bought the Tiny Terror and have completely stopped using my 5150. The Tiny Terror is so much more the kind of sound I want, it makes me wonder why I ever sprung for the 5150 in the first place! And I've now taken it out on two gigs last weekend and going for another party later today - more than enough volume unmic'd. Maybe if I was doing a large venue, I'd worry about it, but as it stands, even the 7W mode on the Tiny Terror, which we've taken to calling the Lunch Box, is enough for me to get a little too loud!

Just thought I'd let y'all know. :D

Archived