The keyboard with the most Famous or coolest line?

minimoog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by minimoog

View Post

So what keyboard do you think has the most killer keyboard lines of them all??

remember not only one song . like the DX7 and M1 have in many songs

so who has the most??

Probably either the Minimoog or the ARP 2600

• Members

The question (as I now understand it) could be rephrased: out of all synths, which one has the most/best lines?

If my understanding is correct I would say the Jupiter 8 is a strong contender.

Separate Ways - Journey

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

Save a Prayer - Duran Duran

Thriller - Michael Jackson

1999 - Prince

Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer

I Want to Break Free - Queen

Radio Gaga (bassline) - Queen

Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer

New Song - Howard Jones

What is Love - Howard Jones

Shout - Tears for Fears

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears

Africa - Toto

Rosanna - Toto

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Just a Girl - No Doubt

Madonna - Crazy for You

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

Drive - The Cars

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd

View Post

yer post confuses me.... first line says "LINE" (singular), the next same question says "lineS" plural. Very different.

I always thought the ONE most singularly known synth riff was ELP "Lucky Man" the synthy synth to end all synths, first middle and last example of oldest best known syntheism. But I could be wrong.

Now, if you mean PLURALLY, that means maybe the most uses that are most obvious? In the old days, I guess it was Moog, but then the Juppy and D50 and DX7 kinda took over. I think the mostests useageness fully depends on the era you pick: 80's maybe jupey, 90's I dunno... Dx7 D50?

Jump is well know but I'm thinking Lucky Man for the crown. ?? maybe not

Don't forget, that's Emerson -- he could make an old Casio sound fantastic. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear

View Post

What's on Won't Get Fooled?

Same organ, but with some output modulation:

From wikipedia (worth what you pay for it, but convenient):

Townshend is playing block chords spread between the two keyboards of the 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ. The output of the organ is fed into the audio input of the EMS VCS 3 mk1 synth. The first bit of processing to be applied to the organ sound is a low-frequency oscillator (LFO) controlling the frequency of a voltage-controlled filter (VCF), using a sine or triangle wave shape. In other words, the synth is turning the tone of the organ from mellow to bright, up and down automatically. There are pictures of Townshend playing this instrument, as well as a video of Pete Townshend demonstrating how the sound was produced

The video:

Using a synth to modulate a "conventional" keyboard can lead to brilliant results. Here, of course, but my personal favourite is No Quarter, where John Paul Jones plays an Hohner epiano through a VCS3:

Jones used the VCS3 to create the underwater "wobble" effect on "No Quarter." He ran the audio signal of the Hohner piano through the filter, and modulated the filter with a sine-wave LFO.

These days there are cheaper ways to run the output of an organ or epiano through a modulated filter, and most of them would be more reliable on stage than picking up an ancient VCS3. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent

View Post

The question (as I now understand it) could be rephrased: out of all synths, which one has the most/best lines?

If my understanding is correct I would say the Jupiter 8 is a strong contender.

Separate Ways - Journey

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

Save a Prayer - Duran Duran

Thriller - Michael Jackson

1999 - Prince

Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer

I Want to Break Free - Queen

Radio Gaga (bassline) - Queen

Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer

New Song - Howard Jones

What is Love - Howard Jones

Shout - Tears for Fears

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears

Africa - Toto

Rosanna - Toto

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Just a Girl - No Doubt

Madonna - Crazy for You

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

Drive - The Cars

Not all of these songs feature the Jupiter-8 though, and when it's used it's only used sparingly.

Examples:

1999 - Prince = layers of OB-XA and OB-SX

Africa -Toto = Yamaha CS-80 (brass pads), GS-1 (kalimba and high organ part)

Africa - Rosanna = the solo is a combination of several different synths such as the Polyfusion modular,

Minimoog, CS-80, Prophet 5 and Jup-8 (used for the descending sequencer line).

Shout - Tears For Fears = The Fairlight does the flute and the bass line is a combination of a sampled bass

sounds mixed with synthesized bass timbres (Prophet 5 afaik).

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears = the brass is essentially PPG w/waveterm; the sustained and plucked strings are

Fairlight with some Jupiter-8.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic

View Post

The synth line hook on "Just What I Needed", by The Cars. Don't know what produced it. Also, their theme sync line on "Let's Go".

Synth line hook on Just What I needed = Mini-korg 700

Sync lead on Let's Go = Prophet 5 rev 1

I'd say the Minimoog and Prophet 5 are strong contenders for the most famous or coolest synth lines. The Jup-8 and the OB-Xa were also used on a lot of stuff of course but

not as much as the Prophet 5 I think.

• Members

Edgar Winter Group "Frankenstein" - Arp 2600

I love the sick arps at about 5:09. Yeah - Rick Derringer on guitar too - kicks it big time!

Styx "Fooling Yourself" - Arp Odyssey and Oberheim 4 Voice (supposedly)

Wife and I have the "Grand Illusion" *album*. This is one of my favorite uses of synthesizer and acoustic guitar. Too bad Styx got all syrupy and sleazy.

• Members

Okay you guys are going to probably hate me for this one, but this is one of those songs that just wouldn't be the same without the synth parts. I used to have a T-Shirt from this tour - which I saw when I was in 10th grade biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ker-C8FE2c

No guitar player on the South Shore of Lake Ontario was worth his salt if he couldn't play this and no band was really playing it if there were no synth parts.

Archived