5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, I don't know how some of you run the mids so high. This amp has a LOT of mids naturally. I keep mine on about 3-4 most the time. I also keep the presence low and res on 7.

I like darker, deep tones though.

my mid hits 5 at its highest. my high and low is set to liek 7+ tho

Guest Anonymous
Then it probably has the bias mod.
:thu:

Heh, I dunno, is there a way to check without opening it? What should I look for? I would think there would be some sort of sign that it was tweaked by somebody - they'd leave their mark (course I hope it IS modded ;))...maybe I just have mine dialed in nicely...I'm running into a 2x12 cab with Peavey Shefffield 1230's: Link ....I will post a clip ASAP!! BTW, I upgraded from a Rockmaster, which was cool, got some GREAT tones outta it, just hated that thinning effect the ultra channel had - the 6505+ does NOT suffer from that!!!:thu:

• Members
I love this amp.

I want to have it modded further.

Thinking about doing this to it just cause it would look badass (with the exception of the eq section I would never do DIY internal mods on a 5150):

orange5150.JPG

Ah, looks like he decided not to trade. haha I'm always last to hear about this stuff.

But, yeah, I'm in.

51501.jpg

Rickand51501.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I'm after more of a crunchy/rockish sound, instrumental/shreddish style, not so much metal with scooped mids, etc -- I know I know, but I'm really used to the Peavy gain sound now after using the RM for so long and this amp just spoke to me in the shop...anyway, I'm also only recording these days, so all I'm after is a great mic'd tone, not concerned much about how the amp sounds live or in my room, actually have the cab & mic stuck in my closet which has been completely gutted/sound proffed (and even with the door closed, it's L-O-U-D)...it works for me newayz. =)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How do you like the 5150 with that cab? I have the same one and find it seriously lacking in bass

It sounds pretty good to my ears. I can see what you mean about the bass being kind of lacking, but I don't like a ton of bass anyways. There are a lot of mids with my setup, but that probably comes from the v30's and the emg 81. I would probably choose a different cab if I had the money, but this one suits me well for what I'm trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I need a retube I think. My 5150 is sound a little bastard like. Someone want to recommend me some tubes?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be something a little more sinister than the tubes. I'm not losing power at all, but it still sounds like ass.

• Members

2004 dead MINT 5150 combo. Not a scratch on it, bought it from a forumite. Sounds pretty wicked into the marshall 4x12! I'd really like to get a few 12" speakers to try in it. Maybe a warehouse veteran30 and an eminence swamp thang...one gt75 and one stock wouldnt be bad either IMO.
This is my 3rd and last 5150 combo. I'll have to keep this one.

• Members

I noticed alot of you are posting settings but not what type of sound you are getting. I just got a 5150 sig model a few days ago. I dont quite have it tuned in so what would you guys recommend for some good STARTING point settings? I am after the Lamb of God, All That Remains, Killswitch type sound. Also I just ordered all new tubes for it. Tung-sol 12ax7 preamps and Rudy 6L6 power tubes. What do you guys think of that ube combo? It has all EH tubes in it now, and I dont care for the sound that much. Thanks

• Members

the eh's sound good to me, but can be bright. try changing just v1. the ruby's will sound great in your amp. for the sound you want i would turn everything up halfway and tweak it from there. what kind of speakers are you using? the 5150 loves greenbacks and v30's.

• Members
I need a retube I think. My 5150 is sound a little bastard like. Someone want to recommend me some tubes?

I'm currently running JJ 6L6GC's in the power section and in the preamp section,(from right to left), Ei ECC83>GT-12AX7C>GT-12AX7C>electro-harmonix 12AX7>balanced electro-harmonix 12AX7.

dsc00215cg4.jpg

Archived