5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm down with that man. Be cool to have one thread that's stickied discussing settings, tubes, mods, clips, cabs, etc. Are your myspace clips recorded with the 5150? How do you like the 12/75's and V30's in the X pattern?

Yes those recordings were done with 5150's. I use the Marshall in my sig, and the other guitarist uses a Mesa Standard Cabinet.

I'm happy with the x pattern. It's throaty when I need it to be and the cabinet is pretty versatile as far as it goes.

• Members

My guitar is VERY dark in terms of tone, so I don't get that "can of bees" tone everyone speaks of. Every time I try to move on, I always end up with a 5150.

5150 + VHT FB412 + TS808 + mahogany body + EMGs = My sound, which I am 100% satisfied with

Count me in!

My setup is pretty similar to yours. My main guitar is a set-neck mahogany Dean ML with an 808 screamer clone as a clean boost. Only difference is I'm using a Seymour JB in the bridge with the treble pot disconnected. Mine doesn't sound too buzzy at all. I also have the LTD ESP with EMG's so I switch back and forth depending on tunings.

• Members

I love mine. Believe it or not, mine isn't buzzy at all. What the {censored} are you guys doing, setting the pre-gain on the lead channel past 5?

Here's my settings:

Pre-gain: 2.2 (boosted with Bad Monkey)

Low: 5

Mids: 7.5

High: 6.5

Res: 6.2

Pres: 0

Buzzy, buzzy, buzzy... Like I said, though, I have a really bright guitar. I tried my buddy's mahogany Hellraiser yesterday and it was a lot better.

• Members

Count me in :thu:

How do you guys find the balance between buzzy/harsh and dark/dull on the treble?

And, the balance between fat / thick and honky in the mids?

I get it sometimes but it's pretty inconsistent and varies a lot with volume. I hate tweaking..

• Members

It does vary alot. I keep my mids just under 5 and the bass and treble just above 6. I keep my pregain on no more than 4 and use the normal input.

With my cabinet having two V30's and 2 G12t-75's it works out pretty well I think.

• Members

I just got mine a few months ago, and I have yet to play it very loud (yet). Setting wise, I've noticed that a lot of people turn the presence all the way down. What is the reason for this? I've noticed that with the volume low (apartment) turning the presence up gives it a little more bite. Does this become unbearable at louder settings or am I missing something? I've only had the pleasure of cranking it to about 1.5 - 2 at the most, but I could still get good tones out of it with the presence turned up or all the way down.

Anyways...YEAH 5150!

In my experience with messing with them, the presence control doesn't really do much until it gets to almost all the way up. Then, for some reason, it can become unbearably bright, even at lower volumes. The taper on it is really retarded. If you want it up high, you have to be really careful with exactly where you set the knob. There is a large range within a tiny space there. It doesn't sound too dark or something without the presence making it really bright, though, and since the majority of the range doesn't really do much, and it affects the highest frequencies where the fizz comes from, you can easily get away with just turning it all the way down.

• Members

In my experience with messing with them, the presence control doesn't really do much until it gets to almost all the way up. Then, for some reason, it can become unbearably bright, even at lower volumes. The taper on it is really retarded. If you want it up high, you have to be really careful with exactly where you set the knob. There is a large range within a tiny space there. It doesn't sound too dark or something without the presence making it really bright, though, and since the majority of the range doesn't really do much, and it affects the highest frequencies where the fizz comes from, you can easily get away with just turning it all the way down.

+1. It begins to work slighly below 8 and at 8.2 it's just way too much. The taper on this is retarded (logarithmic taper i think). IMO the volume control is retarded too but in the opposite way (linear taper?), it's nothing at 1.7 but at 2.1 it's way too loud to be even usable in a home practice setting (good for rehearsal though). Anything from 0-7 on the presence control is the same really.

My settings are Gain/Bass/Mids/Treble/Resonance/Presence 5/6/4/4/6/7.

• Members

My experience exactly. Anywhere on the presence knob from 0 to about 6.5 sounds almost exactly the same, so why not turn it to 0? :p

• Members

I didn't see a e-crew for all the 5150 users here, so I figure it's about time!

With the popularity of the 5150 and the populous' love/hate relationship with the amp I'd say it deserves it's own e-crew.

This is the thread to discuss all aspects of the 5150, top to bottom. 5150+/6505/6505+ and all combos as well.

Let it be know that this is the HARDEST crew in HCAF histroy!

BRING THE NOISE!

(don't forget to edit your sigs!)

im lovin my 5150

PS RESPECT THE OMDB AVATAR!

06-05-07_0029.jpg

i blacked out the logo tonight and im gonna black out the piping tommorow. :thu:

Archived