Modular Madness Megathread

Metrosonus

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare

View Post

i have some advice to ask in regards to my modular case. i'm wanting to get a lid made for it, the lid would just latch onto the case and together they would form a large box. however, there's going to be a ton of space in this lid that won't be occupied by anything - and it would be the perfect place to stash accessories, or maybe even another row of euro!

i don't have any strong feelings in any direction although i'd lean towards the dual monotribe thing personally.

i think you should do this (and things like it) because we need to show the world that central IL has the most live-ready custom electronic music rig engineering in the world. or at least inside of the internet.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

paolo - that was awesome! i very much enjoyed that video. had it echoing throughout the house. loved the sickly-sounding lfo modulation. and the memorymoog is just glorious. are the artifacts we hear during the memory bass solo at the beginning from clipping or from the synth? i don't dislike them at all, just curious!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Suit & Tie Guy

View Post

i don't have any strong feelings in any direction although i'd lean towards the dual monotribe thing personally.

i think you should do this (and things like it) because we need to show the world that central IL has the most live-ready custom electronic music rig engineering in the world. or at least inside of the internet.

indeed. nathan (the purveyor of all these fine cases that suit and i have) has suggested i go with a road case, which i do need, but i still think the lid is neat. i made my case (LOL) for the lid, we'll see what he says. i think the monotribe cockpit would be the most useful out of all of them also.

in fact as i write this, i think i hear UPS pulling into the driveway with my very first monotribe.....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

thumb.gif That was nice and chewy.

Thank you, Gribs thumb.gif

View Post

paolo's video gave me the inspiration for tonight's video - this patch features the z3000 oscillator being MIDI controlled via the Flame Clockwork's CV convertor and korg MS2000 as MIDI controller only. the Malekko Noisering running at a very high rate provides the trashy percussion hit, and the Cyclebox provides the secondary static sequence under control of the STG Graphic Sequencer. The percussion hits are sequenced by the STG Trigger Sequencer - you can see me having a good time changing the pattern length of that module in the video.

[video=youtube;Ok

Very, very good atmospheres and great sound, scenic thumb.gif Mmmm.... I gotta say, I'm a Moog guy, but I have to admit... the flexibility of the Euro format is just unbelievable... you guys have so many modules to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

Here is a silly patch with some Analog Delay Fun

Here is the patch on my modular:

Awesome, patch, Gribs thumb.gif Sounds very vintage.. which oscillators did you use? I'm not very familiar with Euro stuff so I can't tell what's what...

Quote Originally Posted by Moogman

View Post

my system in 2011 -no news from germany

[faints] j/k, I saw your studio before :-) As EMF would put it... "you're unbelievable".....

Quote Originally Posted by Purity_Control

View Post

Oh god, I think I just had a religious experience. Now where did I put that box of tissues. That really was quite amazing.

Thank you, Marie smile.gif You know, I think all of us creative types share a common "vision" of sound and music... something that "just transcends"... I think I understand the feeling of being in sync with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

OMG Mega cool! Sounds so Floyd in a great way....

You know, I really was not going after a Pink Floyd sound but... now that you have pointed it out, I have to say you're right, it does sound like the beginning of Shine On You Crazy Diamond a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

My, my. :: Thanks for that, Paolo!

You're very welcome, Puppy smile.gif

View Post

paolo - that was awesome! i very much enjoyed that video. had it echoing throughout the house. loved the sickly-sounding lfo modulation. and the memorymoog is just glorious. are the artifacts we hear during the memory bass solo at the beginning from clipping or from the synth? i don't dislike them at all, just curious!

Thank you so much, Scenic smile.gif The artifacts come from the Memorymoog itself, not from clipping the soundcard during recording. That synth is famous for being literally "too fat", meaning that the oscillators will overdrive easily!! I don't remember the specific technical explanation, but the original design of the engineers made it in such a way that the oscillators will overdrive the filters a bit or something like that, causing those little artifacts you hear, when the oscillators beat out of sync with each other. It is very characteristic of the Memorymoog although you can minimize the problem by pulling back a bit with the potentiometers when you want a less aggressive sound. It's also so easy to program, and the build quality is stellar... truly a classic analog poly.

Quote Originally Posted by gregwar

View Post

amazing paolo!1

Thanks! smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

OMG! HUGE is all I can say to that passage.

Hehehe thanks smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by hogberto

View Post

+1

you can almost smell the electricity coursing through the circuits. :faints:

Actually, with the Memorymoog you really can! You know how? It has an internal fan that is of course old (and mega-noisy) and it transmits the vibrations to the keyboard depending on how the Memorymoog sits on a surface biggrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by xpander

View Post

paolo's video is analog audio p

• Members

bringing the madness back to the front page with a couple of live jams:

this is when Suit lent me the prototype Det3 archangel sequencer, i had some struggles with it but it turned out interestingly. other instruments are obviously piano loops, vocal looping setup and the modular - 25 - ish minute noisy ambient set -

http://www.directactiontapes.com/str...%208_25_11.mp3

this is today's rough live jam with the monotribe ! monotribe output goes into the EH Q-tron guitar pedal and into a digital delay, tribe is clocked by the modular which goes crazy a lot. vocal looping setup involved again because i love it. lots of madness in this 12 minute noisy dance nintendo noise -

http://www.directactiontapes.com/str...2012_26_11.mp3

• Members

indeed moar modulations!

my modulus is at STG's for some R&D right now, er.. maybe just the R part.

however, next week will bring the return of the modular and the debut of a REAL HD camera (albeit a crappy one)! i got a screamin' deal on a little Vado 3rd gen minicamcorder thing. it will look exponentially better than the macbook pro built in camera. i think with careful attention to lighting it'll be fine. as the video art aspect starts to get more complex over the coming months it'll be even handier i think. now it's just time to graduate past imovie. i'm truly a vidiot

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

from the Outgoing Gear thread - and because this thread was on PAGE THREE WHICH IS UNNACCEPTABLE

Quote Originally Posted by xpander

View Post

the phonogene needs more sample memory- a lot more- 30s minimally, 1m or more ideally. it has like 2.5s which to me eliminates what was awesome about the musique concrete ideas it would be otherwise be ideal for. the microsound stuff just ends up sounding like using the memory-as-wave data on my 259e.

the lack of sample memory is what makes this kind of thing not that much more interesting than say, the Time Safari, for me. there is so much potential for this device as a looping-type module. hopefully he'll up the sample memory in future updates. i'd probably be selling it too, if you had not bought one first biggrin.gif

as an aside, did you see this thread? i've been audio - stuntin' since the early days of the G4 with this guys fantastic plugins, having +pitchdelay as a module is just... it would be fun.

• Members

View Post

the lack of sample memory is what makes this kind of thing not that much more interesting than say, the Time Safari, for me. there is so much potential for this device as a looping-type module. hopefully he'll up the sample memory in future updates. i'd probably be selling it too, if you had not bought one first biggrin.gif

as an aside, did you see this thread? i've been audio - stuntin' since the early days of the G4 with this guys fantastic plugins, having +pitchdelay as a module is just... it would be fun.

OH {censored}! that sounds like a *killer* module! i'm going to namm & the t_a bbq again this year, can't wait to check it out. this, along with what i know Buchla will be showing off and hopefully a Bionic Lester prototype.

fwiw, i understand that the 2.5s worth of memory on the Phonogene was a decision not based on design but based on a desire to keep the cost down. still, i'm hoping he does an meaty XL sample version so you can throw some serious audio into it and CV it all over the place.

• Members

i'd post a link to the vid i snagged that sample from, it's some pretty classic anti-communist stuff from the 70s - but the Internet Archive is down to protest against SOPA/PIPA cop.gif

the lil' box is a grundig G6 radio - i'm tuning through the sidebands there, that's the oscillator sound you here. some nice telemetry noises.

Archived