Modular Madness Megathread

Metrosonus

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ahaha i want to hear this story too.

also related to modulus, i am sorely tempted by this thing right now, but the guy who wants to make them is not really known. anyone heard anything about this roman f character? i know he's doing the moog format oscillator too. i really like the way the buchla 258 sounds, like really REALLY like - but even for his asking price (which is not bad!) it's a scary purchase. but ugh i would love that oscillator.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy View Post
There needs to be more modularness discussionary. Allow me to repost my Weak-Ass Modular...

Teh Front!
synth_front.jpg

Teh Back!

synth_back.jpg

Close Ups! ADSR module, Teh Front!
adsr_front.jpg

ADSR, Teh Back! Please note copious use of Actual Transistors! (I laid out and fabbed the whole PCB)
adsr_back.jpg
I like my frac way more then any of my euro systems. Blacet for me!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio View Post
Nice modular, Puppy thumb.gif

what made you decide Frac rack instead of the mega-popular Euro format?
I'm so glad you asked! biggrin.gif

I wanted an inexpensive, compact format that I could get pre-cut and anodized blanks for with a matching frame system. Frac fits that bill nicely. BUT: If I were to do it again, I would go with full-size Moog-style panels. I would prefer to sacrifice the space for normal-sized knobs with decent spacing.

I don't recall that the Euro format was well-known for modular synth use at the time I built this (about 10 years ago).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy View Post
I'm so glad you asked! biggrin.gif

I wanted an inexpensive, compact format that I could get pre-cut and anodized blanks for with a matching frame system. Frac fits that bill nicely. BUT: If I were to do it again, I would go with full-size Moog-style panels. I would prefer to sacrifice the space for normal-sized knobs with decent spacing.

I don't recall that the Euro format was well-known for modular synth use at the time I built this (about 10 years ago).
Very cool... and you're right... I think ten years ago this "modular resurgence" had not fully started yet... but now, it looks to me like Euro is becoming the new "standard" format for modular setups.

Btw, I was at the Paia site and noticed that they now offer new modules based on their old design!! I think I'll consider starting a frac side system myself love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio View Post
I like the one Mate posted better. thumb.gif
That is a beauty, isn't it? I'm a total sucker for synth cabs that curve ergonomically back towards the user at the top instead of slanting away. I stole that concept from the Luther moog for my own synth.

Luther Moog:

luthermoog1.jpg

My MOTM format system:

sod_biggest.jpg

• Members

@scenic I've seen that thread about the buchla module looks amazing. no idea about the guy that makes them but I'm seriously tempted

ideally I'd like to get a moog voyager again I really miss mine and want the keyboard version this time. it would be the basis of my system and cover all the 'vanilla' sounds.

then I could get some specific euro rack modules for processing and whatnot.

Then again a 'voyager' could be made out of individual modules like a synthesizer.com or there's a French company that makes them. . .

• Members

Speaking of synth cases, the next time I go around, I am going euro format with the intention of building something portable that can actually be carried around. I love the buchla boat-esque cab from TipTop - although it is pricey, it is just the right size...

station252.jpg

• Members

WHO WANTS TO HEAR seven minutes of the cyclebox going nuts

everyone

here:

http://soundcloud.com/donaldcrunk/come-and-get-me

all the synth noises are made by the cyclebox oscillator in this one. everything else is either bass geetar or my mouth, or the glockenspiel i guess. it rips, i just wish that after all the time i've spent with it that i could remember what the switches do in the positions they're in. it's a really hard module to use, but it does some pretty satisfying modem noises as you can hear.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
Ugh, I didn't intend to mock you. I just found what you say as funny as it is likely true! smile.gif
dude i'm sorry i thought i was lolling around. i didn't realise i was being confusement.

Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb View Post
Speaking of synth cases, the next time I go around, I am going euro format with the intention of building something portable that can actually be carried around.
you can gig with 60MU of moog format stuff. trust me. it just needs a road case so big you think there's an OB-12 inside.

do you want something to play with keys or sequencers?

you should come to our next KSS MW Forum Meetup.

• Members

I have two Monorocket M9 (9U - 6 rows of 90HP) cases filled almost completely. I have reached the limit of the weak power supplies that shipped with these in the beginning, and still waiting for an upgrade kit... though I might just leave as is.

I put my two cases into the bookshelf top-half portion of an oak Penn House office set that I bought for my home office a while ago (this was in the days when Penn House furniture was still made in the USA). I had to drill some extra holes (for the shelf pegs) to put the top shelf up high enough to fit in the second case. The top shelf houses a Furman PSU for the two cases - the lights in the Furman can be turned on to illuminate the modular as needed.

This arrangement does not fit well in my home office as there is no really good place for a cable holder... but nothing is perfect and some day I will make a studio in the basement.

Pics later when I am at home.

I have massive upgrade plans... well sorta plans... well okay I just want a {censored}-load of modules and have no real plan other than I want the modules and need to expand to fit them. So I decided I need to wait a while and figure out a plan. One thing that it will involve is one or more Goike cases, probably like the 12U, 104HP ones. Matt also makes 3U and 6U desktop cases that match the lines of his 9U and 12U cases.

This stuff is indeed like an addiction, and it is easy to accumulate modules slowly over a few years until before you know it, your cases are full.

Based on what I can tell from guys at Muffwiggler, the next step in the progression after 5-10 years is to change formats. DrOctave is almost done purging his nice Eurorack set to buy Serge stuff (though I am also confused since he is selling Serge Creature and Wad panels too... he must be going really ape). I hope this doesn't happen to me. If it does though, it would probably be to the larger format stuff.

...and this past weekend wife announced that we "have" to replace the carpet in the family room - the largest contiguous room in our house - with hard wood flooring and that she is having the guy who did our living room back to take measurements and give her a quote. Sigh... there go expansion plans for the next 6-12 months.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Suit & Tie Guy

View Post

you should come to our next KSS MW Forum Meetup.

Yeah I really should. Might finish the organ controller this week, that would bring some yuks if I showed up with that sometime. It has some of your M-3 keys on it as I recall.

Archived