Modular Madness Megathread

Metrosonus

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by xpander View Post
now's a good time to post a pic of my modular! i recorded extensively with allen strange's buchla 200 back in the late 90s (when there was *zero* modular scene) so never bothered with any other format. i'm not a fan of the weird buchla fetishisation that's grown over the past couple years, though. i need to start taking uglier photos.
THE BUCHLA COMES OUTTTT

i'm so glad you have a 272e in your setup , it's one of those 'main reasons i want a buchla' along with the 222e and the two oscillators.

question for you - it's hard for me to tell, are you running the 222e or 223e? the arpeggiator on the 223e sounds like it would be nice to have, but i know next to nothing of it. i assume that it's similar to every other programmable buchla module in that it is a blank slate that you program whatever you want into.

however being able to use POSITION SENSITIVE finger rings with your synthesizer has a wizard - factor that i can't even fully grasp yet. they both sound real cool.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare View Post
THE BUCHLA COMES OUTTTT

i'm so glad you have a 272e in your setup , it's one of those 'main reasons i want a buchla' along with the 222e and the two oscillators.

question for you - it's hard for me to tell, are you running the 222e or 223e? the arpeggiator on the 223e sounds like it would be nice to have, but i know next to nothing of it. i assume that it's similar to every other programmable buchla module in that it is a blank slate that you program whatever you want into.

however being able to use POSITION SENSITIVE finger rings with your synthesizer has a wizard - factor that i can't even fully grasp yet. they both sound real cool.
i have the 222e- the giveaway is the black square you see on the top row of modules- that's the IR receiver for the rings (or Lightning wands), that also has some LEDs behind it to display IR info received. see below for a video of one of my early experiments with the rings, the 2nd patch i'd ever made utilizing them. the rings are awesome, getting things like rings over an arpeggiator are why you buy a Buchla in the first place.

i totally agree about the 272e- although it lacks analog fm tuning control (it steps in 100kHz increments), i've told Don that it's my favorite design of his. i partially consider it a radical evolution of his Source of Uncertainty. the fact that it's not a popular Buchla module speaks volumes to me about the state of the user community. the more i can have in my modular that doesn't suggest an obvious use, the better; it forces creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb View Post
OK, so how close can one come to the Buchla sound and functionality with Euro modules? Lopass gates, the complex oscillators, that lovely sequencer, etc.
i won't touch the sound part because i lack enough euro experience, but you can do a great job making something that has similar functionality. not the same but similar.

the main problem is that i haven't seen anyone using euro that has both the desire and the discipline to limit the modules in their system to a certain set. making something like a Buchla is equal parts having modules and not having modules. for instance, you'd need to limit yourself to Hertz Donuts (259, 261e) and Piston Hondas (259e) for your oscillators- and nothing else in the oscillator department (*maybe* a Model 15 if you're going for a 258). you need LPGs but can't have resonant 4-pole LPFs. you get the idea. a great deal of what makes a Buchla a Buchla is by giving you something different and not giving you something regular. consider the 281e as LFOs, as AR envelopes and as quadrature envelopes. but also think of a 281e as not ADSRs, as AR envelopes you wouldn't have in a typical modular, and as LFOs that offer different waveform possibilities. some modules you won't be able to get close to so you'd have to substitute them out with something similarly unique.

in the end, you're resulting euro systems is going to lose some features the Buchla has but gain some others. if you choose modules with that design philosophy in mind, i'll bet it'll end up having a similar feel.

• Members

i'm sorry i haven't spent much time in this thread. i've been pretty busy.

what Don Crunk said about being a Numerology user is really insightful. i think, more than any other piece of software, Numerology is a proving ground for mind-expanding concepts in music system construction.

or in other words, the way you control a sound is _infinitely_ more interesting to me than how you make the bloody thing. i have a Moog, ARP, EMS, Mankato, and Synthesizers.com filter in my rig and pretty much select them at random for the patch of the day. they all lop off the high end, they take CV, they have a res knob. whatever.

the sequencing and control routing is so much more important to me. that's why i have the lowest-selling modules in the entire market: the Active Multiples and the Active Attenuators. they are so important and handy to me for summing and attenuating control signals. also more than half of my system is dedicated to sequencing and control.

a standard sequencer like the Graphic Sequencer outputs 0-5v. OK great. now what are you going to do with that? it's 5 octaves!

i use the attenuator module to not only bring it to a 1 or 2 octave range but also _sum_ it with another sequencer at times for variations that go beyond the typical cyclic pattern of a sequencer.

my attenuator module is special because it's buffered, and the 3rd cell is a 2-way calibrated unity summing amp. the modular world is the wild west as far as impedences go ... you need buffered multiples to ensure your control signals don't fall to complete dookey when brought to multiple destinations. the summing portion is important because i always transpose my sequences from a pair Alesis Q25 controllers i have in different parts of the rig (merged in the MIDI Time Piece and rammed into a Doepfer MCV4), and i need a way to combine the MCV4 and quantiser at a specific point before hitting the multiple's distribution.

here's a picture of how to properly gig with 60MU of moog-format modular awesome. the "proper" part is that it's at the gig, i'm also proud of the case. that piece of foam sitting on the lid gets shoved between the two cabinets before the lid goes on:

s640x480.jpg

• Members
the main problem is that i haven't seen anyone using euro that has both the desire and the discipline to limit the modules in their system to a certain set.
I have no desire to limit myself and I am also mostly after sounds that are different than those I heard in Buchla demos. I am still filling out a good-sized Euro system and once I hit my ultimate design and also get that basement studio built (aeons from now) I will probably embark on a 5U system... I have long range plans you know.

I think that Serge is the new rage right now. There are two full Buchla systems up for sale at MW right now, a larger one for 19K and a smaller one for 9k. Also another guy just dumped his sizable Euro system and some Serge panels duplicate to what he has already (I had to ask him in a PM to find out why he was dumping Serge to buy Serge - as I was curious) in order to add new stuff to his Serge system.

I am taking advantage of people's ADHD with Euro and trying to pick up the best stuff used when possible, and often at a very good price.

• Members
the main problem is that i haven't seen anyone using euro that has both the desire and the discipline to limit the modules in their system to a certain set.
Euro is kind of the anything goes in the modular world. Which suits me just fine.

Just filled (in practical terms) my two Euro cabinets. It's a mixture of sound sources, quantization, sequencing, control / mixing, and external signal processing. Going to hold off on purchasing anymore for a while and see what I end up *really* using my modular for. smile.gif

modulardec11.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106 View Post
Euro is kind of the anything goes in the modular world. Which suits me just fine.

Just filled (in practical terms) my two Euro cabinets. It's a mixture of sound sources, quantization, sequencing, control / mixing, and external signal processing. Going to hold off on purchasing anymore for a while and see what I end up *really* using my modular for. smile.gif

modulardec11.jpg
Very cool! May I ask how much you guys are paying for these. I know it will vary depending on the brands and the amount of gear. Just curious.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106 View Post

you have a really well balanced set of modules it looks like! tons of possibilities with that rig for sure. i wish i had that many!

DJ, you just have to factor in the cost of your first case and whatever you want to start with. DIYing your own case is super easy nowadays, with power supplies like the uZues from Tip Top you can use almost any enclosure. that obviously lets you spend more on modules starting out.

how many modules you require depends on what you expect from the system from the beginning - for instance, if you're focusing on making more experimental sounds and patterns - or if you're trying to recreate a monosynth voice under MIDI control - or whatever other application you have for the instrument.

for euro, i think 800 - 1000 dollars is a great number to start with. that'll let you get all the components you _need_ for a typical subtractive monosynth voice, and allow another module or two for fun. from then on it grows, obviously. Muff's has a great used market for euro modules, as has been mentioned. you can save a lot of money doing that.

i haven't invested a whole lot of actual money in mine in comparison to a lot of people, but then again i did a lot of things myself also.

Soundwave's cases are a great example of a modern euro system - it's all very frankensynthed out, and that's how they usually end up.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/what/ http://www.modularplanner.co.uk/

but, to answer your question more directly, my case is about 2k worth of modules, if everything was purchased new. i imagine soundwave has about 5-6k in modules there!

and mister xpander? well, you should probably just take a look at the buchla website.

• Members

recent modular news of interest to me -

coolest implementation of the Monotron yet:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/12/mon...xing.html#more
looks like an awesome module, and sounds great.

thebuchla 258 clone that is coming to Eurorack seems to be coming along nicely, and given the additional modules he announced in 5u i'm sure we'll see some more of those buchla-ish clones in euro as well. i love the aesthetic, and i love that oscillator so muchhh. i might actually have to throw down on this pretty soon, but i just picked up a monotribe frown.gif

MakeNoise will be announcing his new oscillator at NAMM. i'm not a huge fan of his designs within the confines of my current 9u, i just want other modules - but i'd love an all MakeNoise minisystem. 2x MATHS, modemix, optomix and rene or PP/brains with his new oscillator would probably be a really fun and flexible thing. i think i would like that a lot better than mixing his modules with my existing system, it would definitely feel like an almost different format altogether. the system i just described wouldn't be terribly expensive or large either.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ View Post
Very cool! May I ask how much you guys are paying for these. I know it will vary depending on the brands and the amount of gear. Just curious.
Typically, each sound source / manipulation module (filters, oscillators, sequencers, etc.) run $200-$400 new. Passive / summing type modules like mixers and mults, and simple control units (switches, logic, etc) run in the $75-$200 range (and you will need a couple of these). The lowest cost modules are stuff like the Low Gain Short Bus, 8U8NR, Intellijel buffered mult and unity mixer... $75-$80 new. Highest new is the $499 ADDAC WAV player, the Z-DSP ($450) is close.

Prices run 20% less or more for most modules used, so you can save some significant cash by picking up used modules and even cases (the Goikes I have was picked up used as well as several of the modules). Many people swap modules regularly on the Muffwiggler forum. (Some modules are in heavy demand so it's going to be harder to find used, but some are pretty easy to pick up.)

If you are cost conscious, the Doepfer modules are a good starting point. They typically run a bit less than the other manufacturers. While they are budget minded they are still very good quality modules.

I'm guessing those two cabinets are around $8K actually counting everything. That doesn't count the semi-modular items (Future Retro XS, Oberheim SEM) and the three Moogerfooger pedals + control unit which in my mind are a part of the modular as well. So yes, it's a very pricey deal if you go as far as I have. (I can't imagine what some of the big modular users -- say, your Deadmau5 or Trent Reznor types, along with some hobbyists with huge racks of stuff -- have sunk into their units.)

But, this is very flexible stuff. In Euro especially, it's really more than just a flexible analog monosynth -- it also can be an extremely controllable FX unit / sound mangler, a signal control unit for other modular gear, a flexible monophonic digital synth, and a way to introduce alternate, CV oriented control. (Probably a good way to limit the initial cost is to figure out what you want to focus on first.)

• Members

non-modulists are going to be jealous when they see how much cool stuff we get for NAMM.

not to mention the Tip Top Audio polyphonic system that Gur is working on - so far he's mentioned an 8 voice oscillator, OBX filter, prophet 5 filter and CS80 filter - all capable of modular routing (somehow) within a polyphonic framework. i hope more on this is announced at NAMM - an 8 voice modular analog poly would blow minds and wallets out all over the country.

though much of the 'sound' of a polysynth is due to the sum of it's parts rather than to one component or even one section of the synth, i'm sure these will do a good job and will require a lot of people to look long and hard at their vintage polysynth collections.

we've watched the digital outboard synth market go from flagship synths from every manufacturer down to... pretty much just Korg, some strange stuff from roland, and a lot of midi controllers with stupid synths built in. there's some great stuff still being released, yes - but one only needs to pay attention to the number of new analog modules being released monthly to see a rift beginning to take place. the Analog market is for the enthusiast and serviced by the enthusiast - and i think this is the most exciting part about it. it's not going to be for everyone, ever - but more and more and more people are buying them ! it's like watching the boutique guitar pedal take off from the initial offerings of AnalogMan modded TS808s to the ridiculous market it is today.

and yes quality thread folks thumb.giflove.gifconfused.gifcry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

I have no desire to limit myself and I am also mostly after sounds that are different than those I heard in Buchla demos. I am still filling out a good-sized Euro system and once I hit my ultimate design and also get that basement studio built (aeons from now) I will probably embark on a 5U system... I have long range plans you know.

it looks like a couple of you thought i was suggesting that, but i was actually just answering how to make a euro system function like something else. i've also been debating whether to expand into 5U or euro (i do have a small euro case with a few modules) because i want something really analog. the small euro system will always remain at least to house cool modules that i can't get in other formats, but i'll see which format i go with for my analog-centric system. i just know i'd rather turn the Arp 2600 and some lesser-used gear into another modular.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ
Go check out the prices yourself at analoguehaven.com or bigcitymusic.com !
If that wooden case is a Matthew Goike case in soundwave106's photo, then the shell is ballpark $500, one TipTop powered bus plus two TipTop passive buses are $230 total (these are the things inside that you connect up to power the modules), a Cincon power brick is ballpark $45 from mouser.com, and wiring of the buses including hardware, power switch, and jack is $55 if you have Matthew do it for you. I know all this because one of those cases is en route to me right now, though I bought one of the slightly blemished shells that were in stock for $400 (Matthew sent me a photo and I can't really see the blemishes which are some slight planar marks perpendicular to the grain - I think he is a real perfectionist). You can choose your own power option and install yourself if you want too.

There are plenty of well-built and excellent-sounding analog VCOs, VCFs, and VC envelopes in the $200 to $300 range from companies like Doepfer, Bubblesound, Intellijel, Make Noise, Malleko, Pittsburgh, STG Industries, TipTop, and others. There are some higher end Euro modules too. The discreet component, hand made Macbeth stuff is gorgeous and expensive ($1400 for each for the back end filter and X-series dual oscillator). The Cwejman stuff is more expensive new too, and people fly to it like vultures when someone sells it on the muffwiggler forum (I bought most of my Cwejman modules used).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by xpander

View Post

it looks like a couple of you thought i was suggesting that, but i was actually just answering how to make a euro system function like something else. i've also been debating whether to expand into 5U or euro (i do have a small euro case with a few modules) because i want something really analog. the small euro system will always remain at least to house cool modules that i can't get in other formats, but i'll see which format i go with for my analog-centric system. i just know i'd rather turn the Arp 2600 and some lesser-used gear into another modular.

No I got it and was not feeling offended or anything. I have seen people say similar things in MW forum as well. I totally grok the idea of how working within the limits of a particular system can bring out significant creativity and a deeply rewarding experience. I think Buchla is cool, but it is not on my own personal horizon at this time. Who knows what the future will hold?

• Members

^^^excellent!! loved the noisy texture on top of the prettiness.

i have some advice to ask in regards to my modular case. i'm wanting to get a lid made for it, the lid would just latch onto the case and together they would form a large box. however, there's going to be a ton of space in this lid that won't be occupied by anything - and it would be the perfect place to stash accessories, or maybe even another row of euro!

after eating mexican food i sketched out my ideas on one of their napkins. and now i have scanned it.

Scan1.jpg

i could put a little shelf in there, enabling the lid to seperate and become a live-in case for pedals/monotribes. or - i could somehow squeeze a slightly smaller row of euro in there, along with maybe a compact midi controller. i don't know if i'd be able to do both, but looking broadly at the dimensions its possible.

lastly - maybe a small amplifier/speaker set? something like that would be really nice for completely portable use. i could recase a couple mini amps into a removable box and fit them into the lid - it'd be lo fi compared to a studio monitor set obviously, but it would work well for impromptu jams and synth meets. additionally this would give me a compact, accessible speaker with which to do feedback manipulations easily near the modular. those are fun. there haven't been enough built in speakers in synths IMHO.

it would be cool to design a way to interchange all three designs - that will take some more thinking though.

any other ideas/possibilities from you guys?

Archived