Modular Madness Megathread

Metrosonus

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
You can always either add another case, or just get a bigger case and move it in there.

I kinda like the illusion that the case gives, that I wouldn't spend any more money than what's in it poke.gif
The Make Noise Rene has been on my radar for a while now, hence my interest in the Make Noise starter systems that include it.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
That Make Noise stuff might sound good... but it's gotta have the worst, most eye-sore designs I've ever seen on anything recently.

If I were to try out a starter system to go into the modular world, I'd try the Pittsburg Modular Foundation (Euro format).

foundation-front2-640.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_
I had the same reaction when I started getting into modular stuff. My reaction was that the modules look like they were someone's science project that they built in their garage. Then the more I got into it and the more I saw/heard what the MakeNoise modules could do, the more interested I became. I have an Echophon, Renee, and 2xPP + Brains in my system also. I tried to buy a Maths used once but the deal fell through. I see the Maths are in stock again now, including at FoxTone here in the Twin Cities, but I have the Quadra + Expander now and there is too much overlap. The MakeNoise units are solid modules though and if you have an issue then Tony will make it good real fast.

I chose the Rubicon over the DPO because I wanted to try a through-zero FM oscillator and I didn't want all the other stuff on the DPO (again cool but overlaps). My choice had nothing to do with the MakeNoise face plate design.

The Pittsburgh modular stuff is pretty good. One module that is essential, possibly more than one (I have a few in my large system) is their attenuator-mixer. It is simple and very useful.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
I do tonal and atonal stuff, but my tonal stuff is definitely not high quality like the Raglani track. Maybe in another ten years I will become good enough at production to actually make some good tracks... or maybe never.

I bought Tony Scharf's album "Dust" when he released it and have been listening to that. I am not sure what you call it; I like it though.

http://noisetheorem.bandcamp.com/album/dust
I'll check this out!

I don't see myself spending $40K or more on a modular. Famous last words, I know. Make Noise System 2 would last me a fairly long while in its default configuration. The only module I might add - down the line - would be a Pressure Points, since the "intro to Rene" videos demonstrate the use of Pressure Points in conjunction with Rene. I'm more likely to add an Elektron Analog 4 to that setup, for song-oriented sequencing, and use Rene for improv/generative type sequencing.

An alternative to System 2 that I'm considering is the Touch System, which is the all-sequencing/touch control package (no oscillators). In that scenario, I keep my Voyager and the Touch System controls it in various ways. In the former scenario, I sell my Voyager and replace it with the System 2.

• Members

So I am still building towards my little 3U of euro, but I will say that the appearance of the Analog Four might have thrown a wrench in my plans. Originally I was shooting for an analog/digital oscillator set - now I'm thinking of grabbing an A4 and angling the modular towards a single digital voice and other modules to complement that. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Members

hooray everyone get a modular!

i have two new videos, the first is a bit of techno from the modular (which it is very good at, especially with the clockwork - too bad i suck at making techno)

the second is more abstract, featuring a lot of noises from the modular atop a vocal loop. also starting to include patch notes at the end of the videos now, and some goofy animation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LameAim

View Post

So I am still building towards my little 3U of euro, but I will say that the appearance of the Analog Four might have thrown a wrench in my plans. Originally I was shooting for an analog/digital oscillator set - now I'm thinking of grabbing an A4 and angling the modular towards a single digital voice and other modules to complement that. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

i thing the Four is cool because it will be a really controllable way to get analog sequences - the modular will never really be able to do that, so there may not be as much crossover between analog modules and the analog four as you think. at least that's what i'm trying to tell myself haha

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by donaldcrunk View Post
hooray everyone get a modular!
Great suggestion. I think I will!

Actually, I have an empty Eurorack case (3 rows X 104HP) waiting on various shipments of modules to arrive. Can't wait to start tinkering... love.gif

Enjoyed both tracks as well as the patch notes at the end!

• Members

Glad you enjoyed it!

My setup consists of a 9u mono rocket mission 9 and a 6u Goike boat case. The oscillator you are hearing is the makenoise DPO in sync mode. A hertz donut is modulating the DPO pitch. This feeds a make noise echophone. The feedback loop n the echo is going through the bubble sound SEM20 filter with the resonance maxed. I am using the band pass output.

The sequencing is a Doepfer DarkTime as you can see in the video. FX are provided by the fractal audio Axe FX Ultra. Te audio track was recorded in a single take using ableton live and then the video was synced to the audio using windows movie maker (which just plain sucks).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by triton76 View Post
in general are the modular systems using quarter inch jacks compatible with the ones using the eighth inch jacks?
Short answer - maybe.

Long answer - there is electrical compatibility and physical compatibility. Physical compatibility concerns differing jack formats (easy enough to solve), and if you are trying to put modules from different panel formats in the same box, you may have to do some creative mounting.

Electrical compatibility - oscillator response is generally 1V/Oct, that is the tuning scaling standard and most systems adhere to it (exceptions - buchla). Then there are a couple standards for envelope trigger or gate voltage - some trigger at 5V and some take 10V. Power supply requirements between modules from different manufacturers can vary too.

That said, lots of people mix and match modules in a system, and trigger level differences can be fixed with attenuator or gain modules. Except for hooking up wrong power supplies to a module, you are unlikely to patch anything that could hurt a module.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by triton76 View Post
in general are the modular systems using quarter inch jacks compatible with the ones using the eighth inch jacks?
Edit: See mate_stubb's post above.

In general, yes. Both Eurorack and MU-format modules generally output control voltages between 0 and +5 (or -5 and +5) volts. All you need to do is find some way of addressing the difference in connector size.

Some modules may use different output or input voltage standards, though, so always check the specifications.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by donaldcrunk View Post
wow now that is a 'cream of the crop' 6u. well done sir.
Thanks! I had specific things in mind when selecting modules although I will admit to the Maths and VCF-02 as being a bit frivolous. Maths appeared to be so versatile that it seemed worth exploring. In a bit of perfect timing the Tip Top Z4000 envelope generator was available the exact day I was trying to figure out what best suited my needs and expectations. Really enjoying some of the sounds I'm getting.

I can easily see this as becoming a money pit as there is such a great variety of modules and I've got another empty row. So many interesting Eurorack modules out there to check out. Any personal favorites?

The biggest bummer now is that I realized I should have bought the SEM with the patch points back when I got mine. D'oh! I had convinced myself I was done with CV.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cbentley View Post
Thanks! I had specific things in mind when selecting modules although I will admit to the Maths and VCF-02 as being a bit frivolous. Maths appeared to be so versatile that it seemed worth exploring. In a bit of perfect timing the Tip Top Z4000 envelope generator was available the exact day I was trying to figure out what best suited my needs and expectations. Really enjoying some of the sounds I'm getting.

I can easily see this as becoming a money pit as there is such a great variety of modules and I've got another empty row. So many interesting Eurorack modules out there to check out. Any personal favorites?
i don't have too many suggestions for you, you have a fantastic system there with plenty to explore from every side of the field. looks like you had a pretty good budget for this, it was wise of you to buy 6u of super nice modules rather than a huge system of disparate modules i think. you have a fun few months ahead of you while you get to know the core of your new instrument.

what to do with your last row really depends on how you plan to incorporate the modular, and how you actually END UP incorporating the modular. those things can change. some sort of live input device, pressure points / FSR/ joystick would be a welcome addition to the bottom row. maybe a couple more VCAs and a dedicated random source (they're all useful, even the doepfer copy of the buchla 208/266e is really nice). sample and hold, noise, maybe an ASR if you like arpeggiation, those sorts of things. you may end up wanting another multiple as well. but none of these things are essential, they just may serve to make a more 'complete' instrument. you've got all you need now though!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cbentley View Post

i don't have too many suggestions for you, you have a fantastic system there with plenty to explore from every side of the field. looks like you had a pretty good budget for this, it was wise of you to buy 6u of super nice modules rather than a huge system of disparate modules i think. you have a fun few months ahead of you while you get to know the core of your new instrument.

what to do with your last row really depends on how you plan to incorporate the modular, and how you actually END UP incorporating the modular. those things can change. some sort of live input device, pressure points / FSR/ joystick would be a welcome addition to the bottom row. maybe a couple more VCAs and a dedicated random source (they're all useful, even the doepfer copy of the buchla 208/266e is really nice). sample and hold, noise, maybe an ASR if you like arpeggiation, those sorts of things. you may end up wanting another multiple as well. but none of these things are essential, they just may serve to make a more 'complete' instrument. you've got all you need now though!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb View Post
cbentley, can you enumerate the modules you have in both rows - I don't recognize them all by sight.
Looks like:

Top row - Kilpatrick K1600 MIDI->CV, Intellijel Buffered Multiple, Kilpatrick K3020 Dual VCO, Tiptop Z3000 MkII VCO, Synthesis Technology Morphing Dual LFO, Blank, Modcan Touch Sequencer

Bottom row - Schippmann VCF-02 Multimode Filter, Tiptop Z4000 VC ADSR (x2), Intellijel Buffered Multiple, Blank, Make Noise Maths, Make Noise Optomix, Intellijel

Archived