Modular Madness Megathread

Metrosonus

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks like we lost a few days due to the upgrade shenanigans - hopefully Acid Hazard will repost the demo he had up here. Sounds great!

So I've decided to make the plunge. Actually bought my first module yesterday on Muffs:

K1600-midi.jpg

Not all that sexy, but a duophonic MIDI module will be essential for the direction I want to move in. Gotta sell some stuff for the starter capital to get the rest, hopefully that happens sooner instead of later.

• Members

congrats LA! that's a really nice MIDI->CV module, that will always be a useful module to have around. good purchase.

i forgot to post a video that i did a bit ago - another weird one, bringing back the bass guitar & vocal looping a little bit.

edit: LOL yes i did, i just didn't imbed it correctly. removed previous one.

• Members

Thanks, donaldcrunk. Will be a slow process to get where I want, but I am optimistic that its the right decision. I've actually rejected the idea of going with a standard Lunchbox as well - now I'm trying to decide on a 3U or 6U case. Funny how that happens so fast!

I'm pretty settled on moving toward the Intellijel Rubicon/Corgasmatron and the Double Andore from Harvestman... need to figure out a second oscillator/modulation source and some sort of mixer as well... yeah I'm probably going to end up at 6U biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So. Resurrecting thread for some advice and junk.

Finally decided to put together a single 104HP row of Euro to sequence with my Octatrack.
Goals: Drones/sound textures, rhythmic noises, light sound processing, dual monophonic madness.

Kilpatrick K1600 (MIDI/CV)
Harvestman Piston Honda (Wavetable Osc)
Intellijel Rubicon (Complex VCO)
Harvestman Double Andore (Dual VCA/Envelope)
Intellijel Corgasmatron (Dual VCF)
Intellijel Mutagen (Mixer)
Intellijel Audio Interface (Line in/out)

Trying to buy used as much as possible. Right now I have the K1600 and Corgasmatron, and just found a Piston Honda with expander and ROMs yesterday. Adds up to exactly 104HP. I know the obvious flaws would be the lack of utility/modulation modules.... can mitigate that somewhat with stackable cables. Could also sub the Rubicon for a Dixie + Ctrl for the space to add separate attenuation, and while it wouldn't be perfect, I could use the LFOs on the OT for some modulation. So.. Good? Not good? Suggestions?

• Members

You know, I considered whether it would be too much mixer for my needs... but I dig that the Mutagen works for both audio and CV, with attenuation on each input. Many of the other modules have attenuation as well, so I think it'll be enough. If not, I can change it up down the line biggrin.gif

Missing a dedicated multiple module is a point of concern. Hoping I can mitigate that need with stackables.

Piston Honda's showing up with 10 roms. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

probably more flexibility with the latter option, but the double andore will allow for quick changeovers between envelope types and polarities without repatching. i would go for the andore, then add the other function blocks later. with smaller systems ive found that modules with heavy normalization are a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
I thought this was a place as good as any to post this. It's rare to see melodic music made with modulars... especially one this big!

Just out of curiousity CR, how much would you estimate he has tied up in that system? And could someone identify what he's got there? I'm just curious, but this is the first modular video that actually made me want one.

• Members
It's rare to see melodic music made with modulars... especially one this big!
The ones that do don't tend to harp on their modular love. icon_lol.gif
I feel out of place at MW sometimes because I make tonal music and actually use a lot of orchestral plugins too... idn_smilie.gif

• Members

thought i'd post a modular synth record here that i'm really really enjoying lately - it's the newest one from Raglani, it's called "real colors of the physical world" and it's blowing my mind right now.

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...orld/13659813/

here's a video for one of the tracks, entitled "Trampoline Dream", with the visuals done on an LZX system -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IC5GOnyL8

pitchfork gave it a 7.7, which is really surprising for the kind of record that this is. most definitely experimental, but there's plenty of melodies and arpeggios and beautiful things happening too, even vocals at times. i really like it, it's a very "eurorack" sounding record - lots of stepped modulation, low pass gates and crazy ASR work that wouldn't be possible in any other single format i don't think, unless the system was huge. it's a sound i'm starting to hear more as modular synths make more of a splash.

also, Makenoise records put out the new Richard Devine "shared system" vinyl release. no digital release predictably, so i will have no idea what it sounds like.

• Members

I do tonal and atonal stuff, but my tonal stuff is definitely not high quality like the Raglani track. Maybe in another ten years I will become good enough at production to actually make some good tracks... or maybe never.

I bought Tony Scharf's album "Dust" when he released it and have been listening to that. I am not sure what you call it; I like it though.

http://noisetheorem.bandcamp.com/album/dust

Oh yeah, the cyrusrex modular in that video is probably worth N x $10k where N > 4. The rack and its building process was documented at MW. It is incredibly cool, has a solid welded steel frame, and adjusts up and down. There are some people on MW who claim (at least via an anonymous poll) to have spent in excess of $100k on their modulars. Who knows if they are telling the truth; however this is a hobby world that has been ongoing in various ways for decades so some of the long-timers may have accumulated massive amounts of gear.

• Members
That Make Noise stuff might sound good... but it's gotta have the worst, most eye-sore designs I've ever seen on anything recently.

If I were to try out a starter system to go into the modular world, I'd try the Pittsburg Modular Foundation (Euro format).

foundation-front2-640.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_
Heard good things about Pitt Modular but most of the Make Noise systems include room for expansion in their cases. The Foundation leaves no room for adding more modules within that case.

Also, there is no sequencer in the Foundation.

Archived