[META-THREAD] The Religion Thread: Discuss Here Please!

yer momma

• Members

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Albert Einstein

bro, it's a lost cause with some folks here

they want something to bash at to make themselves feel bigger, and they see religion as an easy target, because it's easy to talk outta their asses without really understanding jack

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you may pray to whatever god you'd like,

we are slowly killing mother earth the giver of life, once she's dead so are we all and all the praying in the world wont fix that...

This big blue marble will be circling the sun LONG after the earth has cleansed itself from humanity.

• Members

Christians seem to ignore many parts of the Bible, in particular some of the more scary parts of the Old Testament, so can I really rely on it as a guide for God's rules?

I don't buy the free will thing. No one chooses the circumstances in which they are born, their genetics, and how their upbringing affects them. I'd argue that because of these things, no one ever makes a "free" choice in their life. If God wants to torture people for that, then he's not really "good" by the same morality he defines, so then all bets are off, who's to say he's not going to screw you over?

it doesnt matter if hes good or not (in fact i never said either way) , he's god, so he makes all the rules,no?

• Members
bro, it's a lost cause with some folks here

they want something to bash at to make themselves feel bigger, and they see religion as an easy target, because it's easy to talk outta their asses without really understanding jack

Yeah Mikey, I hear ya... considering the subject matter I just find it funny the way that the real adamant non-believers act. In the end, they arent any different than those that they seek to derail... the difference is that they try to use things like Logic and science ( and Fail miserabely at it I might add) to justify their positions...

Either stance that you take, To quote Chris, Its still faith :thu:

Kage

• Members

I don't because it is just something crazy that human nature invented. I was raised as a catholic and in school they told me there is a god, this is how it all started. Then I found out that its just "faith" and not "fact", so right away I stopped believing, especially since by then I knew about dinosaurs, and the big bang.

• Members

Religion = opiate for the masses.

believing in a God gives you something to cling to, to ease the burden of not knowing all life's answers. and not to feel insignificant in the immensity of the universe. To give hope to the powerless.

it's self-delusion that nonetheless can have positive effects on people. I just don't buy the whole 'supernatural being in the sky who interferes into our petty lives'.

• Members
in what way?

matter can not be created or destroyed.

thats a fact.:poke:

No that's not true. Matter can be changed into energy. It's mass that cannot be destroyed. Both matter and energy have mass. And that law is only within the domain of known physical laws. We have no clue about physical laws that govern the hypothetical Big Bang singularity.

• Members

As far as I know God has not been disproven, nor proven.

Science still can not explain, nor does our physics work pre Planke time of the big bang.

Abiogenisis is still a complete mystery.

Energy is still a complete mystery.

No one knows the answers not prophets nor physicist.

So believe what you want if it makes you happy. :thu:

• Members

the more your life moves along, the more you wonder about this question. most people from childhood through their 20' and maybe even 30's, unless they are die-hard religious from the get go, could give 2 {censored}s. But I really think that as you get older your mortality knocks harder and harder on your skull, and the god question becomes more important per say.

• Members
Oh ffs, you do realise your regurgitating the most oft repeated and oft debunked cliche arguments for your position? it's like saying "prove to me I love my wife".

Yes, exactly -- except that it's really nothing like that at all. :thu:

PUHLLEEEAAASE...

Indeed, sir.

love

An emotional response consisting of chemical reactions. A product of natural selection that persuades us to breed and care for our offspring.

You state this unequivocally, as if it is not only uncontested, but uncontestable. That's horse{censored}.

One could just as easily, and just as accurately, define "love" as "an emotion that causes certain chemical reactions to take place in the physical body."

Next?

That doesn't however, make it any less awesome.

Spare us the b.s. commentary, please.

hope

AN emotional response again consisting of chemical reactions. Clearly favoured by natural selection as it means we wont just curl up and die (increased the chance of passing on genes).

Or, again, "an emotion which engenders another set of particular chemical reactions."

And are you seriously going to ATTEMPT to explain away ever single emotion in the human emotional lexicon as some sort of breeding advantage?

If so, I suggest you reacquaint ... excuse me, I mean acquaint ... yourself with ALL of the factors that influence the passing on of genes. This "natural selection" thingie isn't quite as black&white as you're making it out to be.

integrity

Subjective opinion of a person consisting of emotional responses based on

the actions of said person.

Horse{censored}.

"An abstract quality of character" would be a better way to start. We could go on from there to define the particular character traits that *indicate* integrity in a person ... but there is no quantifiable way to measure the integrity itself by material/empirical means, and you know it.

But you also know that integrity exists, and that it is not an emotion, nor is it the result of some emotional response.

It's not even all that subjective, fer cryin' out loud.

:oh fer three ... Let's press on...

justice

Subjective opinion of events based on the assumption that morality has an objective value. Reprehension of damaging individuals to social groups would clearly be favoured by natural selection as it improves the condition of the group as a whole by discouraging damaging behaviour, resulting in a better chance of passing on genes.

This is so desperate it's laughable.

Tell you what -- take a cursory glance at just a *little* of what Plato and/or Aristotle had to say about justice. Then read a little Martin Luther King, Jr.

There little, if anything, subjective about it, it has nothing to do with emotion, nor does it have to do with natural selection, since frequently acting "justly" requires one to countermand internal survival "instincts."

In other words, beyotch, please.

poetry

Art form and extension of linguistic expression. Used to create emotional response and convey meaning. Can be empirically observed BY READING A {censored}ING POETRY BOOK YOU MEATFLAP.

Well, that's just st:freak::freak:pid on its face. On your face, that is.

LINES of poetry can be read on a page -- but that's {censored}ing ink and paper, NOT POETRY, DUMBASS!!!

Your definition of poetry includes EVERY CONCEIVABLE USE OF LANGUAGE. And any idiot with 2 grey cells to rub together & make a spark can tell that while all poetry is language, clearly NOT ALL LANGUAGE IS POETRY.

And if you think poetry is supposed to "convey meaning," then you've clearly never encountered any real poetry, either. :thu:

Chuckles, you got moxy. You got excrement for brains, but you got moxy.

duty, loyalty

More emotional responses and behavioral states, see the others.

More horse{censored} and failure to deal with the actual CONCEPTS. See the others.

scorn hate despair

Negative emotional responses consisting of chemical reactions.

Correction: negative emotions that generate specific biochemical reactions.

Obvious advantage of aggressive behavior towards predators and can increase chances of survival. Can also be the result of the evolved characteristic rationality overriding more atavistic and primeval emotional responses to negate the biological imperative (particularly despair).

Hate, scorn, and despair are not survival advantages, nor are they "adaptations."

But that's cool man -- keep twisting reality around this hard and you won't ever have to think about ANYTHING, which seems to be your plan! :thu:

• Members

the more your life moves along, the more you wonder about this question. most people from childhood through their 20' and maybe even 30's, unless they are die-hard religious from the get go, could give 2 {censored}s. But I really think that as you get older your mortality knocks harder and harder on your skull, and the god question becomes more important per say.

Existential angst is for those who arent getting enough poon-tang.

• Members
There's no viable proof so I don't believe. I'm open to things but I pretty much gave up on the existance of God when I was old enough to think for myself. It's about the same time I gave up on Santa and the tooth fairy.

I didn't really believe until I bega thinking for myself. And then I didn't have to worry about belief, because the rational course was to pursue knowledge via experience, anyway. Funny how two people can come to opposite conclusions through the same vehicle -- in this case, thinking for oneself. :idea:

Archived