Amps with GREAT master volumes...

Little Guitars

• Members

I dont understand how you cannot be happy with a master volume.

Essentially, all it does is control the volume.

Ok some amps probably sound slightly weak at lower volumes but i would say this is more just the fact that it is a valve amp, and nothing to do with the actual volume control..

• Members

Ok some amps probably sound slightly weak at lower volumes but i would say this is more just the fact that it is a valve amp, and nothing to do with the actual volume control..

Some amps sound bad at low volume, some amps sound good.

All of the amps I listed sounded very good -> {censored}ing fantastic loud.

Only the Valvetech, when using MV instead of an attenuator, sounds really good at lower volumes. Everything else sounds like I should buy a different amp (SS or much lower wattage... like 1-5w) tube because playing at this volume is a waste of effort.

• Members

No.

It's to do with how much the power amp is working, not just regulating volume. The Mark series amps have far better master volumes than the Recto series for example. The Herbert has a great MV too.

• Members

Peavey

Ultra

XXX

JSX

Not sure about the 5150s or Classics.

The JSX has a great MV in that is sounds the same at practically all volumes. Unfortunately, it never sounded that great at low volume or high volume.

The Mark IV sounded good at low volume and got great at higher volumes.

The tremoverb sounds pretty crappy at whisper volumes, really sounds smoking at higher volumes.

• Members

No, it isn't.

Well surely there is no way to push a poweramp without actually pushing it??:confused:

Eg, you are not hitting the poweramp as hard with the MV down as when you have it wide open..

If you think of it as a water tap.

you are still getting the same thing out, its just that it is delivered slightly differently. Slow flow instead of gushing out..

Sure on guitars the volume control on some of them retains the clarity when you turn your axe down. My PRS would be a good example of this, yet sometimes on other guitars it gets muddy. Is this the same thing?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering.:idea:

• Members

No, it isn't.

A conventional MV doesn't alter the gain or tone of the either the preamp or power amp in any way.

All it does is to reduce the amount of preamp output signal that makes it to the power amp input.

A PPI MV is different in that it reduces the amount of signal that gets from the PI to the power valves. More rare than the PPIMV is the (switchable) volume compensation circuit found in the Marshall 30th Anniversary amps, that introduces more and more 'scoop' as you turn the MV down. But there aren't many other guitar amps - maybe none - that do that.

But a 'Good' MV vs a 'bad' MV?

'Good' MV = 'good' preamp distortion tone.

'Bad' MV = 'Bad' preamp distortion tone (in isolation).

Archived