The Alchemy Index I & II...

JoshuaLogan

• Members

i think youre right i was hoping for a perfect vheissu, as it was a transition, but i think they perfected their style on vheissu and then made it esoteric with alchemy index. i like thrice because theyre accessible and then they make you think. you can sing along and then you can dissect it. they write catchy ass songs that have a lot more going on than you get at first listen

I, unfortunately, can't agree that they were even near perfect on Vheissu, but different strokes...

I like them for all the same reasons though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I, unfortunately, can't agree that they were even near perfect on Vheissu, but different strokes...

I like them for all the same reasons though.

i should clarify, they had perfected on alchemy index the style they were going for on vheissu, but then they made it too esoteric. i wont lie though, i love vheissu. its a little flatter at parts than id like cuz it seems like theyre kind of testing the waters like "can we do this? ok yeah lets do it" but then they really bring it out on some songs

• Members

Well...I haven't had too much of a chance to listen to it, but it's OK. I imagine it'll take me a couple of days to really get a feel for it.

I really like Water after a couple listens... Fire is going to take more time for me.

I was/am more interested in Earth and Air personally.

• Members

yeah really, hold fast hope isnt nearly as good but i had to throw another one in there so i didnt come off as close minded. but really, the earth will shake blew my mind the first time i listened to it... and every time since. i also really like music box for its hookyness and between the end and where we lie for the overall feel of the composition of it.

they should have just redone vheissu with abolition of man thrown on the end

yeah dude...the earth will shake is {censored}ing ridiculous. but for me, for miles precedes it.

• Members

i dig their new album. im actually seeing them tonight, they are one of my fav bands. but i still wish they would evolve, but not simply change. they need to keep to what people liked about them on the artist and the ambulance WITH the vheissu style stuff, ergo, make heavier {censored}.

• Members

Alright - I listened to Water on the way to work this morning. I'm impressed. Thrice has come a LONG way since IoS - it's not nearly as heavy, but holy {censored} Dustin can write a vocal melody.

you know that in Lost continent, he took a vocal melody STRAIGHT from korn's song 'thoughtless'? i was pretty pissed when i ehard that. other than lost continent, i like water a lot. and other than burn the fleet, i like fire a lot now too. there are a lot of parts i wish they had performed differently (different vocal emphasis and maybe mixing up melodies here or there) but all in all, ive changed my tune. i like the arsonist chorus a lot but the end pisses me off. the "i love htis city enough that i'll set it ABLAZE" shoudl lead to him roaring something over those big pounding chords. at least, IMO. i ran into a lot of stuff like that on the album, where i was like "i would have done something different there" whereas on every other thrice album its been more "i would have never thought to do that"

meh, my 8 or 9 cents

oh and for the record im more eagerly anticipating earth and air too. his folk stuff is incredible and the samplers for earth look great

• Members

i dig their new album. im actually seeing them tonight, they are one of my fav bands. but i still wish they would evolve, but not simply change. they need to keep to what people liked about them on the artist and the ambulance WITH the vheissu style stuff, ergo, make heavier {censored}.

Why am I not surprised that someone who plays death metal wants them to travel in the heavier direction...?

• Members

i like almost every CD thrice has put out, but i've never viewed them as any kind of amazing, legendary band...just great rock/ music. i guess people take them more seriously than i do.

I don't think they're legendary, I do like them a lot and think there's plenty to say about their music. I have a lot of respect for them in the sense that I can only hope to be able to write deliberate, well-thought out music like that one day.

• Members

I have been listening to this on there myspace and all I can say is WOW! great stuff, I am definitely going to pick this one up . The Artist in the Ambulance is really my only prior experience with Thrice and while I think concept albums are getting a bit cliche, I really dig both the Fire and Water because of how easy they are to listen too and I like bands that show some versatility.

• Members

It's pretty cool, I did water better. I deleted all the screamo songs from my playlist though, I can't stand that {censored}, he sounds like a 12 year old impersonating Zach de la Rocha when he does that. The melodic songs I enjoy.

-W

I like plenty of screaming... the production of them is kinda crap on this though

• Members

Listened to it all now. I like certain parts, but overall most of it is very forgettable. A lot of songs just sound like they're ripping off things that have been done better before... although I'm liking fire a little more the second time through...and I like the insrumental Night Diving on Water, since it's similar to post-rock bands I'm into... problem is it's just not Thrice... they're covering other genres, but not bringing anything new or exciting to them... I'm also not digging the whole christian rock vibe of the vocals on water. I could deal with the subtle hints of it in their older work, but this is way too choir boy for me. Anyway, it seems like they've grown up a lot and became bored with their old music, but what they're doing now isn't all that interesting the majority of the time. I think they were better when they used their pop sensibilities to write catchy, memorable rock songs (and I'm not even into pop that much)... Those are my thoughts right now...

Archived