The Alchemy Index I & II...

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eh, having just listened to them, I can't say I'm digging them all that much. The Fire portion is some what unfocused and there's this weird clipping on his clean vocals that makes it somewhat hard to listen to. But it's not worse than the worst tracks on Vhiessu.

But the water disc, everyone seems to like it....but it sounds like it was all composed by the guy who did the water levels in Donkey Kong Country 2. Or maybe the theme music they play at sea world while you wait to get into the penguin exhibit. Like I can see how they thought it sounded like water, but it sounds kind of silly to me. It's still probably their least compelling album, but I'll give them points for effort.

• Members

You guys don't mind the christian rock choir boy stuff all over water? It seriously sounds like switchfoot or cheesey ''worship & praise'' at times... can't stand those parts... takes away from the music...

I don't listen to any switchfoot or "worship & praise" stuff but nothing about this music sounds that way to me at all...

Care to point out a particular part? I don't really know what you mean...

• Members

Eh, having just listened to them, I can't say I'm digging them all that much. The Fire portion is some what unfocused and there's this weird clipping on his clean vocals that makes it somewhat hard to listen to. But it's not worse than the worst tracks on Vhiessu.

I'm also not sure how i feel about the clipping.

But the water disc, everyone seems to like it....but it sounds like it was all composed by the guy who did the water levels in Donkey Kong Country 2. Or maybe the theme music they play at sea world while you wait to get into the penguin exhibit. Like I can see how they thought it sounded like water, but it sounds kind of silly to me. It's still probably their least compelling album, but I'll give them points for effort.

Well, I mean, that's the point. You can dig it or not. I think it's cool and I'm enjoying the songs personally.

• Members

Just got the discs yesterday, so this is my initial thoughts:

Fire: Meh. The first tune is pretty good, but the rest are fairly mediocre compared to stuff like "Dust of Nations" or "Red Sky" from Vheissu.

Water: A little more spacey, open feeling. Really mellow... The longest song is a 6 minute instrumental?

Overall, I don't see the reason for 2 discs. There are 12 songs, and none of them are as epic as I would've liked to see if there are only 6 per CD. I'm a little disappointed considering how much I've liked their last couple releases, but hopefully they'll grow on me.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing them play with Brand New on the 26th in Denver. I dig Brand New a whole bunch ("The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" is an amazing disc), and have not seen Thrice play live since the Illusion of Safety days.

• Members

Just got the discs yesterday, so this is my initial thoughts:

Fire: Meh. The first tune is pretty good, but the rest are fairly mediocre compared to stuff like "Dust of Nations" or "Red Sky" from Vheissu.

Water: A little more spacey, open feeling. Really mellow... The longest song is a 6 minute instrumental?

Overall, I don't see the reason for 2 discs. There are 12 songs, and none of them are as epic as I would've liked to see if there are only 6 per CD. I'm a little disappointed considering how much I've liked their last couple releases, but hopefully they'll grow on me.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to seeing them play with Brand New on the 26th in Denver. I dig Brand New a whole bunch ("The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" is an amazing disc), and have not seen Thrice play live since the Illusion of Safety days.

The point behind separate discs is because each disc has a theme, which is clear, not because they had two full discs (well really four) or material... it wouldn't make sense to have those discs on one CD back to back because they don't function as one unit and weren't meant to. Can you imagine a CD ordered that way?

The original intention was to release all four together but Vagrant needs to make a double killing on this one to buy out their Island contract...

I do wish they went after more epic type songs, but that's because I love that style of song...

I happen to love the 6min instrumental...

• Members

The point behind separate discs is because each disc has a theme, which is clear, not because they had two full discs (well really four) or material... it wouldn't make sense to have those discs on one CD back to back because they don't function as one unit and weren't meant to. Can you imagine a CD ordered that way?

The original intention was to release all four together but Vagrant needs to make a double killing on this one to buy out their Island contract...

I do wish they went after more epic type songs, but that's because I love that style of song...

Like I said, it's just my first impression. Usually it takes a bit to get into a conceptual album. I was hoping that since it was 2 discs that they'd really make it worth our while and put together some really long epic tunes. I think they've definitely got the talent to pull something like that off, which is what I was hoping for. I'm not saying either are bad discs, but I like the older stuff better (first impression only). I can see the idea behind concept discs, but I was just hoping for more material.

• Members

Like I said, it's just my first impression. Usually it takes a bit to get into a conceptual album. I was hoping that since it was 2 discs that they'd really make it worth our while and put together some really long epic tunes. I think they've definitely got the talent to pull something like that off, which is what I was hoping for. I'm not saying either are bad discs, but I like the older stuff better (first impression only). I can see the idea behind concept discs, but I was just hoping for more material.

Yeah, i mean I'm not attacking you, especially about not liking hte material. But realize that it was not really "just two discs", they recorded four of these discs at once, which is a lot of material. The label split the discs though. When you realize that, I think it's more acceptable that there isn't more bulk to this stuff...

• Members

I think what I like most about both disc is that they just created. They didn't pander to a label telling what they need to write, hence them leaving Island over directions disputes. They just made honest music. I appreciate it for that one thing. yeah, some of the songs seem disjointed, but i think they just wanted to do something they have never done before.

Matt

• Members

I just picked up my copy today over lunch. I have been listening on their myspace page for a few days and I really like it. I will just through this out there and see what kind of response I get:

"This is the kind of album I had always hoped to see either from a Radiohead or a Deftones"

I don't know, maybe that statement is bit off base but, I like the album nonetheless.

• Members

Maybe, but either way, I hate multiple disc releases because they screw with my file tree...like many modern types, I rarely listen to actual CDs; sometimes literally never. My current copy of "The Artist in the Ambulance" has never seen a CD player other than the one I used to burn it to my HDD. I have these listed as "The Alchemy Index, Vol. I & II" so that I dont' have to switch between them on iPod because they are a related project; sort of like how I put SOADs "Hypnotize/Mezmerize" as one file.

• Members

Maybe, but either way, I hate multiple disc releases because they screw with my file tree...like many modern types, I rarely listen to actual CDs; sometimes literally never. My current copy of "The Artist in the Ambulance" has never seen a CD player other than the one I used to burn it to my HDD. I have these listed as "The Alchemy Index, Vol. I & II" so that I dont' have to switch between them on iPod because they are a related project; sort of like how I put SOADs "Hypnotize/Mezmerize" as one file.

So drag and drop it in a different file, name them both The Alchemy Index and set them as Disc 1 and 2 in the ID3...

Truth is, I don't think that their artistic statement should be dictated by how you're going to organize your MP3 files...

• Members

I don't listen to any switchfoot or "worship & praise" stuff but nothing about this music sounds that way to me at all...

Care to point out a particular part? I don't really know what you mean...

All over it, man... it sounds very, very ''christian rock'' in a lot of parts... Dustin's christian leanings are showing more than ever. I don't mind his beliefs, but when the music starts sounding corny I gotta pass...

• Members

All over it, man... it sounds very, very ''christian rock'' in a lot of parts... Dustin's christian leanings are showing more than ever. I don't mind his beliefs, but when the music starts sounding corny I gotta pass...

I mean, one example would be helpful. I don't really know what "Christian rock" sounds like, nobody does that thing around me, but nothing about this album sounds like "Christ is so holy! Yeah yeah yeah!" to me...

• Members

I mean, one example would be helpful. I don't really know what "Christian rock" sounds like, nobody does that thing around me, but nothing about this album sounds like "Christ is so holy! Yeah yeah yeah!" to me...

The chorus to Open Water is the only thing that makes me think of Christian rock/swithfoot type stuff. Maybe this is one of the spots he's talking about ?:poke:

• Members

So drag and drop it in a different file, name them both The Alchemy Index and set them as Disc 1 and 2 in the ID3...

Truth is, I don't think that their artistic statement should be dictated by how you're going to organize your MP3 files...

I didn't say they couldn't do it, it's just annoying. But I can easily work around it. At the same time, I dont' think physically having 2 discs is really necessary, though.

• Members
Yeah, i mean I'm not attacking you, especially about not liking hte material. But realize that it was not really "just two discs", they recorded four of these discs at once, which is a lot of material. The label split the discs though. When you realize that, I think it's more acceptable that there isn't more bulk to this stuff...

I gotcha. No offense taken. :)

What would be cool is if they managed to do the Rosetta/Neurosis/Flaming Lips concept of playing the discs at the same time to create an atmosphere.

• Members

Rosetta's debut was a 2 CD set that you could play both discs at the same time. Neurosis did the same thing with "Times of Grace" along with their noise project from Tribes of Neurot "Grace." They also did a 4 disc (N-E-S-W) called "Cairn" from Tribes of Neurot that would all be played at the same time. The original idea came from a Flaming Lips album that you'd play 3 (?) discs at the same time. It would've been super sweet if Thrice did a Fire/Water/Wind/Earth like that...

• Members

Rosetta's debut was a 2 CD set that you could play both discs at the same time. Neurosis did the same thing with "Times of Grace" along with their noise project from Tribes of Neurot "Grace." They also did a 4 disc (N-E-S-W) called "Cairn" from Tribes of Neurot that would all be played at the same time. The original idea came from a Flaming Lips album that you'd play 3 (?) discs at the same time. It would've been super sweet if Thrice did a Fire/Water/Wind/Earth like that...

And these discs make sense separate but come together to make somethign else?

Not only is that cool and difficult as hell, I imagine the albums themselves would have to be incredibly minimalist to actually make it work and the albums would probably be weaker independently.

Playing multiple discs at once would be a pain...

It's a really cool idea, but an albums worth like that is pretty intense and that's the kind of thing that I feel is cooler when it's never been done.

Hrm... still pretty cool...

It would have been cool if like.. the beginning and end of each album had a track like that that was instrumental maybe to demonstrate that all of the elements together make some kind of coherent world, but most of the time (the center of the discs) it's too muddled to see the order without separating it into its parts...

Archived