The Alchemy Index I & II...

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just got done listening. heres my mini review

fire: firebreather rules ubt we all know that. after that though, i didnt like a single track. i think dynamics are what make thrice good and they didnt exhibit any on fire. it was either a half assed, half paced attempt at some post metal or a big fuzzy wash of noise for 3 minutes. im not happy with this album. but ill give it a few more listens nonetheless

water: really pleasantly surprised. i liked it a lot. the instrumental was what fire should have been. it kept me on my feet, took some cool turns, had some awesome beats, and some awesome melodies... i just rememebered one awesome melody in fire in the arsonist, that was good.

all in all,

WATER>>>>>fire

IMO, IMHO, YMMV, LMAO, BYOBBBQ

in the words of homer simpson, the second b is a typo

• Members

just got done listening. heres my mini review

fire: firebreather rules ubt we all know that. after that though, i didnt like a single track. i think dynamics are what make thrice good and they didnt exhibit any on fire. it was either a half assed, half paced attempt at some post metal or a big fuzzy wash of noise for 3 minutes. im not happy with this album. but ill give it a few more listens nonetheless

water: really pleasantly surprised. i liked it a lot. the instrumental was what fire should have been. it kept me on my feet, took some cool turns, had some awesome beats, and some awesome melodies... i just rememebered one awesome melody in fire in the arsonist, that was good.

all in all,

WATER>>>>>fire

IMO, IMHO, YMMV, LMAO, BYOBBBQ

in the words of homer simpson, the second b is a typo

wow, I'm surprised you think that! I love the dynamics of "The Arsonist," particularly the bridge. "Backdraft" has a killer chorus, and good dynamics too.

That being said, I do enjoy Water a little more on record. But I think I will be more into the Fire record live.

• Members

wow, I'm surprised you think that! I love the dynamics of "The Arsonist," particularly the bridge. "Backdraft" has a killer chorus, and good dynamics too.

That being said, I do enjoy Water a little more on record. But I think I will be more into the Fire record live.

the arsonist definitely struck oil, thats a really good song. but there are some parts that just dont sound like theyre really into it to me. maybe if i listen to it more ill see that theres something like a thick synth going on that teppei decided to do instead of a guitar part so it sounds a little more ominous than heavy or something like that. ill be giving it quite a bit of play, thats for sure

• Members

i just got mine in the mail with the shirt. im debating whether to listen to it now or wait til 3 and 4 come out...

I preordered it from Merchdirect but haven't received it yet and refuse to listen until I have it on CD.

I'm most excited to hear Earth... and actually Air next... so I'm quite anxious for spring.

• Members

i, like most people, was most excited for fire. but the amazing heavy stuff they did before wasnt in contrast with their amazing ambient stuff so it was just a bludgeoning of heavy and it wasnt dynamic enough for my tastes because im an asshole and i demand every song be as good as the earth will shake/hold fast hope

• Members

what are Earth and Air going to be like? you know... how Fire=heavy & Water=ambient... What's the plan for the other two?

All of Earth was recorded in the same room, and the majority of it was recorded with the same room mic just hanging out in there. It's supposed to be very stripped down kind of album.

Air is only described as "sounding like air", being light, full but not abrasive, etc.

• Members

The Earth Will Shake is amazing.

yeah really, hold fast hope isnt nearly as good but i had to throw another one in there so i didnt come off as close minded. but really, the earth will shake blew my mind the first time i listened to it... and every time since. i also really like music box for its hookyness and between the end and where we lie for the overall feel of the composition of it.

they should have just redone vheissu with abolition of man thrown on the end

• Members

yeah really, hold fast hope isnt nearly as good but i had to throw another one in there so i didnt come off as close minded. but really, the earth will shake blew my mind the first time i listened to it... and every time since. i also really like music box for its hookyness and between the end and where we lie for the overall feel of the composition of it.

they should have just redone vheissu with abolition of man thrown on the end

From a previous thread, I said this:

Vheissu had excellent moments, but unlike most bands, I find that Thrice's best albums are not transitions, but completely realized 180s on what they've done before. I typically find the best album for any given band is the first transition album... the one where you hear them going from their freshman or even sophomore effort to some new, adventurous stylistic off-shoot. Once they get to a destination, it just tends to be weaker. It's when you get hte best of both worlds in that transition that makes the "career" album. Thrice seems to do better reinventing themselves (like previous transitions) then on the transition path (like Vheissu is). From the video clips ( I refuse to listen to the album until tomorrow), it seems The Alchemy Index is again, a stopping point on the transition path and some I'm really excited to see what they were striving for on Vheissu completely realized.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing, nothing at all that could or should be done to the song The Earth Will Shake.

• Members

From a previous thread, I said this:

That being said, there is absolutely nothing, nothing at all that could or should be done to the song The Earth Will Shake.

i think youre right i was hoping for a perfect vheissu, as it was a transition, but i think they perfected their style on vheissu and then made it esoteric with alchemy index. i like thrice because theyre accessible and then they make you think. you can sing along and then you can dissect it. they write catchy ass songs that have a lot more going on than you get at first listen

Archived