What is a Variac and how does it work???

thomasterrible

• Members

Oh, I just brought the head in from the van, and popped the tubes into it. I havent powered it up or hooked it to a cab, will do that when I get home tonite. I'll be curious to see what it sounds like back at full power, running without any bad tubes. Everything I have heard about em is that they definitely sound better at full power than halved.

• Members

I've always heard Eddie say that originally the term "brown sound" was what Alex used in the studio to describe the sound he was looking for with his kit. Somehow it becamse associated with Ed.

I always assumed that 'brown' referred to the electrical term brown-out with regard to the Variac setup.

"Brown out" is basically a condition of lower than normal power line voltage which is essentially what they were doing with the Variac setup.

Of course, maybe they just thought it sounded cool, too. I'm sure Ed was drunk when they coined the phrase, anyway. ;)

• Members

I always assumed that 'brown' referred to the electrical term brown-out with regard to the Variac setup.

"Brown out" is basically a condition of lower than normal power line voltage which is essentially what they were doing with the Variac setup.

Of course, maybe they just thought it sounded cool, too. I'm sure Ed was drunk when they coined the phrase, anyway.
;)

I think that the reason that Eddie used "brown" for Alex's snare sound is because he wanted it to sound like somone beating in a tree trunk.

• Members

Hi

I have seen photos of Variacs, but I am not sure how they work in the context of how they hook up to tube amps and what the change in sound would be like were I to install one? Including how to use one without damaging my amp!

I have a Laney AOR pro tube lead with a 4x12 cab, it sounds good but its gain is not as high as most new amps.

I have also read that Eddie V used one to hot rod his Marshall and get a better sound.

Come to think of it, what is meant by associating Eddie with a "brown sound" what is the definition of brown sound?

I am all for modifications, but only when I understand how to properly do them and know what the results will be.

Thanks Much!

Tom:poke:

you are going to hurt yourself :poke:

• Members

well, I read an article from Michael Soldano where he speaks about using a variac. It is apparently "NOT" harmful to a proper functioning amplifier as long as you are reducing the incoming voltage to the amp and not increasing it. What ends up happening is the reduced voltage will eventually translate into reduced volume as well the farther down you go with it, it will continue to drop in volume until there is not enough power to keep the heater voltage up where it needs to be for the tubes to operate. The reduced input power, will translate into reduction of all voltages inside the amp including plate voltage on the tubes, resulting in the amp putting out less power, reduced headroom, and increased tube compression and increased distortion. With a Plexi Marshall, set the voltage between 85 and 90 volts and crank the amp for what is dubbed "brown sound"

^^^ Ding ding ding we have a winner.

It is *NOT* risky, but you will probably spend more time and effort finding a reliable variac than it is worth.

For my money, an attenuator can get me close enough to the brown sound for my tastes.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
The most important thing to know is that you will not get "more gain" from the amp by using a variac.

The rest...I'll leave that up to others to post about.
:)
I wouldn't even consider using one, honestly. My honest advice is to get the amp you want.

That's pretty good advice! The times I've tried them, I hated what they did. Took the life out of the amp. Anyway, for those who don't know, they lower your voltage so they would go between your amp and the electricity.

• Members

Blues Saraceno had one built in to his custom "Dirty Boy"amp (made by his dad)

'

dirtyboy.jpg

The big knob in the middle.

He also had extra XRMR's added so he would only drop the voltage to the correct parts of the amp.

I always liked that amp.

I have a Variac if anyone is interested, I may be up for selling it.

A variac is just a variable transformer as far as I can tell.

Archived