The great cable debate.

tats_dragon

• Members

I don't want this to turn into a flame fest. If you can't keep your keep your cool please do not post.

If an impressive list of world class musicians were using a new distortion box and used it for every song at every show, are you guys interested?

Sure you are.

No one in their right mind would argue back with 'I tried a Bad Monkey and all the boss offerings, they all suck so this 'new distortion box' will suck too!!!!'

No amp builder or someone of knowledge, who's tried every other distortion box would have the nerve to say 'I don't believe you until you can explain it scientifically'. That would be ridiculous.

Cable threads are a very interesting phenomenon.

Jun

• Members

I am REALLY happy with my planet waves. I have 10 of them. Very transparent. If one breaks, they are quick connects so I can just reattach the ends. I like to keep my cables short and just have one longish one for live to my board. They are perfect for exacting cable lengths on the fly with my cable cutter. So no cable clutter, and clean transparent sound.

Me likey long time.

• Members

It always seems funny to me that people will spend $1000's on equipment then scream at spending $30 for a cable to hook it up. Also the reverse, spending $100's on cables to hook to an amp that has a $99 speaker in it.

Cables = buy mid price = best value for 99.9% of people

• Members

If an impressive list of world class musicians were using a new distortion box and used it for every song at every show, are you guys interested?

No, I honestly couldn't give a {censored}.

You haven't done yourself any favours hammering on about your cables and rewiring. Whatever side of the cable fence people are on they're gonna be seeing you as a kinda troll/nutter/shill by now.

• Members

No amp builder or someone of knowledge, who's tried every
other
distortion box would have the nerve to say 'I don't believe you until you can explain it scientifically'. That would be ridiculous.

Cable threads are a very interesting phenomenon.

did you just compare an active unit like a stompbox to a cable? no wonder you're deluded.

and the reason there's no scientific reason why one "distortion box" is any better than another is that it's a matter of taste.

now, if you want to tell me that some cable made out of metal that was mined from virgin timberland is better than the same cable made with the same metal, but that came from a regular mine, i want something to back that assertion up. with electronics, there's not a conclusive way to dictate that one thing is better than another using science, because it's too complex of a mechanism for any of us to get a gestalt understanding of. with a cable, it's simple wave propagation, with inductance, capacitance, and resistance to look at. we can understand that. at least i can. you probably don't. you probably don't know that there is actually a threshold beyond which human perception cannot determine a difference, so even if you have measurable scientific data supporting your claims, there's still the issue of human perception to consider.

for example, the other guitar player in my band has been trying out my SLO clone that i want to sell. just for giggles, i did a little experiment. i switched from KT66 power tubes to 6550 power tubes. after he had played the amp for a while, i asked him if he thought it sounded any different. he didn't have the slightest clue that i had changed them.

so, if it makes you feel good to spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars

on cables because some PR guru claims that there is some magical difference, by all means do so. just don't expect a warm response here. we typically don't react well when people are trying to blow smoke up our asses.

• Members

I don't sell any cables, I don't work for any cable company.
I've done some simple upgrades that not a lot of guitarists have done.
Upgrading pickup and switch connections and the 'captive wires' in combos and cabs.
I predict these upgrades will as common as swapping speakers.

On Dec. 2nd, I am going to hold a blind test south of San Jose in Prunedale CA, if anyone's interested. There will be a well respected representative from the H-C Bass Forum to observe.

Jun

• Members

Sound isn't all of it. I buy nicer cables because they don't kink up, have thicker jackets, better connectors, and aren't microphonic at all. I've played really really nice cables, and not so nice. Personally I find that the lava ELC cables from Mark fit what I need perfectly. They're super high quality, but not super high price. They hold up extremely well and never kink.

I'm sure the platnium plated diamond tipped snakeskin cables are better sounding, but I could care less.

-W

• Members

Cables = buy mid price = best value for 99.9% of people

that's pretty much my theory

i can hear the difference between a POS cable, and a mid-level one...i can't really hear the difference between a mid-level and a high end one

therefore i buy whatever mid-level is sturdy and convenient...i bought two 20' planet waves a while back, and i've been very pleased with them

• Members

Also, even if there is a sliiiiiiight improvement at home when you can scan for any auditory differences, that will all be blown to {censored} live. Since live is where you spend teh moneyz on teh gearz, most of us would much rather have a cable that is infinitely more durable than one made from some pristine source for metal composites :freak: for a very slight if any, sonic improvement

• Members

I don't want this to turn into a flame fest. If you can't keep your keep your cool please do not post.

Sure you are.

No one in their right mind would argue back with 'I tried a Bad Monkey and all the boss offerings, they all suck so this 'new distortion box' will suck too!!!!'

No amp builder or someone of knowledge, who's tried every
other
distortion box would have the nerve to say 'I don't believe you until you can explain it scientifically'. That would be ridiculous.

comparing distortion boxes to cables is ridiculous. Distortion boxes are MEANT to ALTER the tone, and whether or not one does that "well" is purely subjective. There is no scientific analysis that can be applied to subjectivity.

Cables are meant to be transparent. That is what you're supposedly getting with more expensive cables, more transparency. Transparency absolutely can be demonstrated scientifically so there's nothing ridiculous about asking for such evidence.

• Members

I don't use cables. I use magic! Beat that {censored}ers!

ummmm

I have a bunch of monsters that I got for free, so I use those, and I have these cheap ones that haven't shorted yet, so I use those too.

Just cause Monster Cables cost $100+ and has "time correction" does not make them $100 better. If you A/B the studio monsters with any bull{censored} cable out there, it's like changing from a .88 pick to .100, so, I don't think it really matters. I use decent speaker cables, but, I don't think buying a cheap cable wil cause me to play like {censored}.

It just needs to be really long, decent thickness, good tips. I don't care of the brand.

There's your cable breakdown

/thread

• Members

This is the one remaining post I'm going to make to tats on this subject.

Tats, I let the argument with you go, days ago, didn't I? I made my case very clear (you're free to go back and read what I said on that thread if you forget), and you continued to call me a liar and twist what I said long after I left the thread. You started two more threads since then, including this one implying I insisted you scientifically prove there is a difference in the sound cables make (when we all know I admitted they can make a difference in sound). Even a rep who sells Evidence cables told you to quit your moaning. So what is your problem.

Congratulations. This will be the first time I've put anyone on my ignore list: you.

Archived