Tone = overrated

Angry Grimace

• Members

It's probably the least important part of virtually ANY kind of music, but it's also the most expensive.

I'd listen to an album with bad tone that had good music, but I wouldn't listen to an album with great tone and crappy music. Guitars are a better investment than amps anyways, because spending an extra 1000 dollars on a guitar will get you a better playing guitar that will make you better at actual playing, whereas an extra 1000 dollars on an amp will make it sound a little better to about the 10% of the music listening population who cares or can hear it.

Oh, and your "brutal" tone sounds the same as every other high gain amp...like {censored}. Turn down the distortion.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

extra money does not equal a better playing instrument, man

and i think searching for great tone is a great thing, because i strive to make my music sound better in EVERY way i can

You could make your music better by practicing and coming up with better songs/riffs, and your sound better with an equalizer. Spending a lot of $ doens't equal better music. And generally spending more on an instrument usually does mean a better playing one unless you're randomly buying them from the internet.

• Members

It's probably the least important part of virtually ANY kind of music, but it's also the most expensive.

I'd listen to an album with bad tone that had good music, but I wouldn't listen to an album with great tone and crappy music. Guitars are a better investment than amps anyways, because spending an extra 1000 dollars on a guitar will get you a better playing guitar that will make you better at actual playing, whereas an extra 1000 dollars on an amp will make it sound a little better to about the 10% of the music listening population who cares or can hear it.

Oh, and your "brutal" tone sounds the same as every other high gain amp...like {censored}. Turn down the distortion.

Are the OJ bullies making fun of you again?

• Members

Yup I totally agree, nothing like the killer tones of a $3000 PRS through a crate practice amp.

In the end, amps mean nothing!

Your really on something here...

To bad its crack!

Right, because taking the worst possible example (a crate practice amp) proves your point right. No, but if you think a 5150 sounds 1500 dollars worse than whatever flavor of the month ENGL/Diezel whatever, you're completely insane, becuase they both have 3x more distortion than necessary, meaning they sound largely identical to the vast majority of people, even guitarists. You might as well just buy the cheaper hyper-gain amp.

• Members

You could make your music better by practicing and coming up with better songs/riffs, and your sound better with an equalizer. Spending a lot of $ doens't equal better music. And generally spending more on an instrument usually does mean a better playing one unless you're randomly buying them from the internet.

yes, but youre missing the point. i want my music to sound better in EVERY way. not just my playing. that includes TONE.

also, i never said spending a bunch of cash means better music. i actually think theyre a lot of cheap options when it comes to amps that sound great. having better tone makes music more pleasing to listen to as a whole.

and no, youre wrong, spending more money does not=a better playing guitar. my beat to hell squier that was $80 is easily my favorite playing guitar of all time and i'll NEVER get rid of it.

• Members

yes, but youre missing the point. i want my music to sound better in EVERY way. not just my playing. that includes TONE.

also, i never said spending a bunch of cash means better music. i actually think theyre a lot of cheap options when it comes to amps that sound great. having better tone makes music more pleasing to listen to as a whole.

and no, youre wrong, spending more money does not=a better playing guitar. my beat to hell squier that was $80 is easily my favorite playing guitar of all time and i'll NEVER get rid of it.

I never said that there are no cheap guitars that sound good, but you're better off spending more money on a nice guitar than on an amplifier.

• Members

I find that improving as a player and the quest for great tone go hand in hand. I find myself playing more frequently and better with each new piece of gear I buy. If I'm playing a Squier Champ I'm not really motivated and any good riff I think of doesn't come to life like it would on a nicer amp.

Tone and playing go hand in hand.

• Members

I never said that there are no cheap guitars that sound good, but you're better off spending more money on a nice guitar than on an amplifier.

no, you're not

you're better off spending money on what YOU think sounds good and/or plays good

let people buy what they want, even if it does cost $4000

• Members

Right, because taking the worst possible example (a crate practice amp) proves your point right. No, but if you think a 5150 sounds 1500 dollars worse than whatever flavor of the month ENGL/Diezel whatever, you're completely insane, becuase they both have 3x more distortion than necessary, meaning they sound largely identical to the vast majority of people, even guitarists. You might as well just buy the cheaper hyper-gain amp.

No difference between a 5150 and a Herbert. You're right on the money.:freak:

Out of curiousity, when was the last time you got laid?

• Members

I find that improving as a player and the quest for great tone go hand in hand. I find myself playing more frequently and better with each new piece of gear I buy. If I'm playing a Squier Champ I'm not really motivated and any good riff I think of doesn't come to life like it would on a nicer amp.

Tone and playing go hand in hand.

+1

• Members

Sounds like a good argument, and it may have a bit of merit, but then again I have a couple of $150 guitars set up nice with pickup upgrades in addition to cheap amps that do what I want along with a boost and/or eq pedal.

Still, if you don't like the tone you're getting and if it's not responsive to what you're doing if you're into dynamics, the playing will be less inspired than otherwise, IMO.

Archived