Vox AC30CC2 - tube swap advice

Raskolnikovs axe

• Members

The power tubes are prolly EHX now, and those were never a problem. The preamp tubes are tung-sol or EHX now and will be fine. The tube that blows, and that you WILL want to replace pronto, is the rectifier tube.

Cheap, easy to replace, and your signal doesn't care what you put there as long as it works. Since one isn't going to "sound" any different than another, all that matters is that it doesn't blow up. I've had a Mesa GZ34 in there for like a year...

• Members

The power tubes are prolly EHX now, and those were never a problem. The preamp tubes are tung-sol or EHX now and will be fine. The tube that blows, and that you WILL want to replace pronto, is the rectifier tube.

Cheap, easy to replace, and your signal doesn't care what you put there as long as it works. Since one isn't going to "sound" any different than another, all that matters is that it doesn't blow up. I've had a Mesa GZ34 in there for like a year...

perfect.

• Members

I'm going to spring for an NOS GZ34 for mine, simply due to the fact that NOS rectos tend to test very well, and a good one should last 10-20 years.

For power tubes, the JJ EL84 is a really nice power tube (I've had mine in there for 2 years - I should get around to swapping them soon ;)) but EHX ones should be OK. For preamp tubes, it's just a matter of taste. I run a combo of EH and JJ in my preamp.

Archived