if Dumbles would have caught on like, say, Mesas did...

skippydmongoose

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played some Dumbles years ago. Wouldn't really want one now. Not really my thing. Of course, I have some amps worth quite a lot of money now anyway.

i tend to forget the knuckle draggers hang out here and talk about 150 watt firebreathing amps which are typically played in their mom's {censored}ing basement with the headphone jack

Yeah, rings true somewhat.

- WOT

• Members

Okay, smarty pants....what amp are you playing right now?

Pod V. 5.8, it's a prototype

I play it through some car stereo speakers that i pulled out of a '74 Ford Courier abandoned down the street from my trailer

for those of you who actually contributed to the discussion, thank you

if my OP was confusing, it's cause i'm at work and have about 2.3 seconds to post between jobs

• Members
I played some Dumbles years ago. Wouldn't really want one now. Not really my thing. Of course, I have some amps worth quite a lot of money now anyway.

Yeah, rings true somewhat.

- WOT

I played one too quite some time ago, but just for a short period of time. Also played a Trainwreck of some sort once. Wow!

• Members
the best amp i've ever played was a two rock custom reverb combo at Indoor Storm in Raleigh NC about 6 years ago

they wanted 4k for it
:(
:poke:

it would sustain a note for a week at any volume levels

learn to build your amps and make/tweak your own dumble clone for much less :thu:
that's all the two rock people did...

• Members

they are worth 50+ grand because thats what they are selling for these days. im not sure why people cant seem to understand why they go for so much. they are superb amps built buy a builder who only built a couple hundred for mostly elitist rock stars, and no more will ever be built. Its like saying an original 1964 cobra isnt worth the million dollars they are going for cause you can build a replica for 50 grand that is faster and handles better. your paying more for the history and rareness than you are for the tone

i used to think that Dumble wasn't building amps anymore but i just recently heard from another builder that he is still building (but probably not many). As far as the history thing goes... I don't know if I'd put dumbles in the historic category. They definitely have an air of magic around them but come on. I've seen Ford, Carlton, Santana, and Mayer playing dumbles. Mayer just played one on the grammys and he sounded bad (and i'm a mayer fan). I think his two rocks sound better (he sounded worse than his tone though). I prefer santana's mesa tone over his dumble tone. I reserve historic prices for historic things.... vox, gibson, marshall, fender, roger mayer, etc. Dumble hasn't established tone imo. His amps are good but no amp is worth 50 gr unless someone historic has played it or built it, and I don't consider Dumble to be that.

• Members

i used to think that Dumble wasn't building amps anymore but i just recently heard from another builder that he is still building (but probably not many). As far as the history thing goes... I don't know if I'd put dumbles in the historic category. They definitely have an air of magic around them but come on. I've seen Ford, Carlton, Santana, and Mayer playing dumbles. Mayer just played one on the grammys and he sounded bad (and i'm a mayer fan). I think his two rocks sound better (he sounded worse than his tone though). I prefer santana's mesa tone over his dumble tone. I reserve historic prices for historic things.... vox, gibson, marshall, fender, roger mayer, etc. Dumble hasn't established tone imo. His amps are good but no amp is worth 50 gr unless someone historic has played it or built it, and I don't consider Dumble to be that.

i can't think of one recording that i like (as i'm not a mayer, carlton, or ford fan) that has a dumble--maybe some Mr. Mister or Christopher Cross from the 80s, but let's face it, that could've been done with any ol' amp

• Members

why is everybody being a dick today?

an amp is an amp.

they sell for what people pay.

I haven't played a dumble.

I don't plan on playing one.

I don't play a 150 watt amp.

This thread is retarded.

This forum is retarded.

amps are stupid, and so are guitars.

You did forget:

People are stupid.

• Members

i can't think of one recording that i like (as i'm not a mayer, carlton, or ford fan) that has a dumble--maybe some Mr. Mister or Christopher Cross from the 80s, but let's face it, that could've been done with any ol' amp

I totally agree. I still say that the best od type amp i've ever played has been an original 59 tweed bassman 4/10. These go for around 15 gr in perfect condition nowadays (if you can find them). 4 to 10 grand is more likely though. A plexi for crunch can't be touched.

Tone is subjective but great players can sound great through just about anything. The great players I've heard that play dumbles usually don't sound as good as they do through other amps. Not bad but not amazing. Though mayer did get some good tones on the last record with the dumble. Not 5O Grand tone though!!! lol.

• Members

I have a couple of those.

- WOT

R u serious??? Lucky bastard... lol. I played the amp in nashville on a 3 day session and it absolutely blew me away. It was the producer's and he got it off of an old friend of his in 98 for $300 bucks. I thought it was the re issue when i walked in... it was so clean.

• Members

Tone is subjective but great players can sound great through just about anything. The great players I've heard that play dumbles usually don't sound as good as they do through other amps. Not bad but not amazing. Though mayer did get some good tones on the last record with the dumble. Not 5O Grand tone though!!! lol.

and there are probally guitars out there that sound better than a 300 grand 59 les paul in someones opinion as well, but that dosent mean the guitar isnt worth 300 thousand.

• Members

i played a two rock when this blues guy came to try out for my band, he didnt work out because he did not want to be in a band with another guitar player, but he was cool and let me mess around with his stuff, cool guy.

but i would never buy a two rock, it cost too much for someone like myself to own, id rather have two or three amps with very different tones than one with one awesome one.

i dont think dumble would have exploded if they were mass produced.

• Members

and there are probally guitars out there that sound better than a 300 grand 59 les paul in someones opinion as well, but that dosent mean the guitar isnt worth 300 thousand.

how many great players have made historic records with those guitars??? I get it... rockstars buy the amps because of the mystique and also because of the collectibility of them. Being that there's not many the price goes up. I get it. How many great records are cut with Dumbles??? None that I can think of. Marshalls??? a lot. Fenders??? a lot. Vox??? a lot. If i found a dumble for 15 grand would I buy it? of course i would... especially when dummies like you keep justifying the prices of these things. You pay more than 15 grand on an instrument when you want it to appreciate and a dumble will do that. it sits in a locked room and earns it's money.... and it will go up. These amps are average sounding in my opinion though and that price is not justified by any means or certifiable musical history.

• Members

i played a two rock when this blues guy came to try out for my band, he didnt work out because he did not want to be in a band with another guitar player, but he was cool and let me mess around with his stuff, cool guy.

but i would never buy a two rock, it cost too much for someone like myself to own, id rather have two or three amps with very different tones than one with one awesome one.

i dont think dumble would have exploded if they were mass produced.

i agree with all of this

and the two rock tone can be achieved with other means

there are folks on another forum to which i subscribed, gearpageCOUGH!, that swear nothing can replicate a dumble

dig that elusive tone!

[YOUTUBE]l1qCczGgSxw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Archived