rememberduane

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

98% knew Martin Luther King said "I have a dream"

25% knew who Hitler was.

You have a better explanation?

It's unfortunate that I actually agree with you.

One thing I remember from high school is how hard they jammed the civil rights movement down our throats, how important it was that we remembered every bit of detail, read as much by MLK and others like Medger Evers as possible. But , seemingly, how other subjects, every bit as important, were glossed over much more quickly and with nowhere near the amount of depth.

• Members

No, it doesn't. That is just false. Not knowing when Columbus landed in American precludes knowledge about world history from 1492 until 1750 (when most said he did). Not knowing who Hitler was precludes knowledge of the Second World War. Etc. Basic foundational, or representative, knowledge is demonstrable. Not knowing certain facts precludes other knowledge. The more fundamental the fact, the larger the swathe that it cuts into derivative knowledge.

Lacking the most fundamental facts in several areas cuts out massive areas of world history, which is necessary for a genuine understanding of the world, specifically politics, economics, literature, philosophy, etc. The fact that these basic facts indicate vast areas of knowledge that are missing does, in fact, allow for the use of the word "ignorant".

Furthermore, it precludes someone from making educated political choices, and in a democratic society that is damaging to everyone.

It looks like this is going to have to be one of those "agree to disagree" situations. Now that we've both cut the rhetoric and have gotten to the heart of the conflict we definately do not agree. You think knowledge is rankable in terms of importance and significance. I do not. I think knowledge is knowledge, whose importance is essentially situational and subjective based on the individual.

Though I don't agree with you, I do respect a sound, well thought out, well articulated argument. I am very glad to see your response was not, "epic fail pwnt pwnt pwnt."

• Members

Yeah ok, i race at a track, or used to when i was actually serious about modding my 3000gt. Ive only raced maybe 5 or 6 times total on the streets.

There's a book called The World is Flat. Read that and see if dropping out of high school is good advice to give American youth.

• Members
Troof:

There's no way that the article could be 100% bull{censored}. If you think it could have been done better (and I'm not arguing that fact, but this was a mostly informal survey) I'd be willing to hear you out.

However, all you keep spouting is semi-ignorant "This arteekle is teh gay" and the like. Maybe if our school systems were a little more well-equipped to help students, you'd be able to get your point across a little better.
:)

They could of at least stated where these 1200 teenagers came from. For example, they could of asked 1200 inner city blacks living on welfare, that have never step foot into a school. Since they didn't actually state where they came from, this very well could be the case. And they should of asked 1200 adults (21 or older) these same questions and see how the results vary. This is just 2 of the things I would have done differently.

• Members

Kinda off-topic:

What amazes me is how people think that high-school dropouts, or people who never went for college are total retards.

NO, not all people end up as junkies or wellfare parasites
NO, you're not doomed to an eternal life of {censored}ty-to-nothing wages
NO, not all people are ment for college, or the education that is there.

seems like today, more and more people are pushed to take something in the college, or even high-school.
And what do we end up with then? {censored}ty results.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the elitism of college kids towards those who are "below them"

about 60-70 of the people I know, never went to college or uni, and for some weird reason...they're making as much as their college-educated friends :eek:

HARD WORK will get you anywhere in life, educated or uneducated.
and this comes from one who's in college btw.

but aaaaaaaanyway.
cary on

• Members
about 60-70 of the people I know, never went to college or uni, and for some weird reason...they're making as much as their college-educated friends
:eek:

But how does earning power = intelligence?

I could be making what I'm making now without a degree (because my job pays {censored}), but I feel that what college did was change my approach to thinking.

• Members
And I could care less either. I droped out of high school, never even thought about college, now i'm 29 and living VERY comfortably. So {censored} education.

Yeah -- {censored} EDUCATION! :phil:

COME ON EVERYONE, WHO'S WITH ME and TheToneMan!?!?!? :thu:

:cry:

• Members

My blog?

Newsflash:

"Rememberduane opens up yet another thread to pwn as many HCAF's as possible.

Statistics show that 5 new forumites will hate him that have previously never come into contact with his bitter brand of elitist put downs.

Surprisingly Rememberduane has yet to make a ref to his expensive education, but studies predict it should be stated in or around page 10.

Rememberduane still insists on posting social/political threads on the amp forum, knowing full well there are separate forums designed for threads of this theme. This stems from a history of him being chased off the amp forum around a year ago when he gave a classic "Leaving the forum" post which was jeered and laughed at by the HC population.

He still has revenge on his mind and takes out his frustrations on the HCAF when he feels down. Especially in and around the weekends where he is often "at a loose end."

:eek: Holy I-just-got-{censored}ing-PWND Batman :o

• Members

Whats bad is that when im sitting in school, all the gangster kids and minorities, and the white kids that hang out with them are the unintellegant ones. I cant count how many times ive heard a realy stupid comment from one of them that thinks their smart. One time in economics the teacher asked us to define economics, of course the spanish gangster wannabe kid said " its about how much money be in my pizocket (yes pizocket) after i iz hustle some tree on da streets to deese niggas". Its just amazing how stupid they are, so what im getting at in this post is that we should focus on immigrants coming into this country becomin retarded criminals, and making alot of white people act like them. Theres my .02

Archived