OT: As if we didn't know, American teenagers "stunningly ignorant"

rememberduane

• Members

More like most people don't know history, are doomed to repeat it, and those who do know history are doomed to be dragged along.

Well I'm sure the Bush Administration remembers Vietnam and most of the public remembered Vietnam. But that didn't stop Iraq from happening.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See my reply. Basic, fundamental historical understanding is NOT to be balanced with technical skills. No one said the kids were stupid. They said they were *ignorant*. And without knowing those BASIC, foundational facts, they are.

But what constitutes a basic foundational fact to you and to others vastly differs. I am not saying that they shouldn't know those facts discussed above. I am saying that the original article which says "these kids do not know this basic set of facts, therefore they are ignorant" is biased, inaccurate, and untrue. The New York Times, nor you nor I can sit here and prioritize the importance of information. PARICULARLY in today's world where information is more abundant than ever before.

• Members

If your using this article to try and come up with generaliztions about American teenagers then your the {censored}ing stupid one. If you can't see that this article is biased and clearly with a agenda behind it, your a {censored}ing moron. They never state how many "teenagers" they asked, what schools they go to, how old they are, they didnt compare the teens answers to adults, etc. There isn't any facts in this article, it's just pure garbage. I don't have a clue about "American Teenagers" but this article is obviously bull{censored}.

• Members

If your using this article to try and come up with generaliztions about American teenagers then your the {censored}ing stupid one. If you can't see that this article is biased and clearly with a agenda behind it, your a {censored}ing moron. They never state how many "teenagers" they asked, what schools they go to, how old they are, they didnt compare the teens answers to adults, etc. There isn't any facts in this article, it's just pure garbage. I don't have a clue about "American Teenagers" but this article is obviously bull{censored}.

Wow, Weathered isn't kidding, the amount of "Self-pwnge" in that paragraph is...well it's stunning.

I can only hope that you did this intentionally to make some kind of point that is--as of yet--unclear to the rest of us.

• Members

The education system in this country is a joke. Instead of creating opportunities for students by playing to their interests and strengths, schools are focusing on creating a veritable middle class day worker. Instead of trades, people are being groomed to have only the educational foundation necessary to move from dead end job to dead end job throughout the course of their lives. This problem is also starting to creep into colleges as well. It's really sad.

There are plenty of kids that come out of our school systems that go on to have great careers in a wide variety of fields. I grew up going to public schools, and the education I received has served me well. School is what you make of it. If someone thinks that being stupid is cool (a cornerstone belief of today's kids), then it's really not anyone else's fault when they grow up to be a janitor or garbage man.

The real problem with kids today is that they are {censored}ing LAZY. Everyone wants to point the finger at someone else for the reason that they (or their kids) are useless pieces of {censored}. The simple fact is that most people under the age of 25 can't even string together two consecutive coherent sentences, let alone put in a decent days work. The only people they have to blame are themselves (for being too lazy to better themself) and their parents (for being too lazy to instill any values or work ethic in their children).

I see this all the time with my guitar students. They all come in with grandiose dreams of being rock stars, but as soon as they realize that learning to play an instrument remotely well takes a lot of work, the majority of them disappear faster than a fart in a wind tunnel. Even the more advanced students will sometimes ask me to teach them this song or that song, but as soon as they realize that it will take a little work on their part, they change their mind and go back to stuff that they can learn in five minutes.

The only way that things are going to change, is when individuals start deciding that they would like to amount to something. It seems like kids today truly aspire to be complete {censored}ing losers. The best schools in the world aren't going to do anything for someone who has no desire to amount to anything. Instead of whining about how everyone else is to blame for their own stupidity, people need to start taking some responsibility for the piss poor decisions that they have made along the way. People who spent the ages of 12-17 trying to act dumber than a bag of hammers because it helped them "fit in" with the other retards need to realize that it isn't anyone else's fault that they are stocking shelves for a living now. Plenty of kids grew up going to the same schools and actually amounted to something as adults. The difference is that they had a work ethic, and enough of a spine to take some responsibility.

• Members

Yeah right, you know my point. That article = bull{censored}. Try and prove me wrong you {censored}ing idiot. Don't say some {censored} about my grammer either, that's not proving me wrong...

Umm....yeah. Yeah we are. If you aren't able to use the written word to get your (yep - that's the right use of "your") point across, any and all points contained within are null and void.

• Members

But what constitutes a basic foundational fact to you and to others vastly differs. I am not saying that they shouldn't know those facts discussed above. I am saying that the original article which says "these kids do not know this basic set of facts, therefore they are ignorant" is biased, inaccurate, and untrue. The New York Times, nor you nor I can sit here and prioritize the important of information. PARICULARLY in today's world where information is more abundant than ever before.

No, it doesn't. That is just false. Not knowing when Columbus landed in American precludes knowledge about world history from 1492 until 1750 (when most said he did). Not knowing who Hitler was precludes knowledge of the Second World War. Etc. Basic foundational, or representative, knowledge is demonstrable. Not knowing certain facts precludes other knowledge. The more fundamental the fact, the larger the swathe that it cuts into derivative knowledge.

Lacking the most fundamental facts in several areas cuts out massive areas of world history, which is necessary for a genuine understanding of the world, specifically politics, economics, literature, philosophy, etc. The fact that these basic facts indicate vast areas of knowledge that are missing does, in fact, allow for the use of the word "ignorant".

Furthermore, it precludes someone from making educated political choices, and in a democratic society that is damaging to everyone.

• Members

Yeah right, you know my point. That article = bull{censored}. Try and prove me wrong you {censored}ing idiot. Don't say some {censored} about my grammer either, that's not proving me wrong...

Actually, that's the point entirely!

If you don't think that what you wrote is simple ignorance, then you've got no part in this argument.

*ignored*

• Members

Umm....yeah. Yeah we are. If you aren't able to use the written word to get your (yep - that's the right use of "your") point across, any and all points contained within are null and void.

So I mispelled 1 word, that sounds exactly the same if you read it aloud, but my point doesnt get through because of this...HAHAHA, Ok, you can't prove me wrong, that article is 100% bull{censored}. We both know this.

• Members

Actually, in this instance it's a pretty good example. Poor grammar and spelling when attempting to defend poor educational standards kinda drive the point home, wouldn't you say?

Publik skool is fyne for edukashin. My edukashin iz gowing to git me a good job, and my compyooter wil ficks my crapie speling and grammer.

• Members
So I mispelled 1 word, that sounds exactly the same if you read it aloud, but my point doesnt get through because of this...HAHAHA, Ok, you can't prove me wrong, that article is 100% bull{censored}. We both know this.

You're so adorable I just want to pick you up and squeeze the life out of you!:thu:

• Members

So I
mispelled
1 word, that sounds exactly the same if you read it aloud, but my point doesnt get through because of this...HAHAHA, Ok, you can't prove me wrong, that article is 100% bull{censored}. We both know this.

Try 2.

If you can tell me what words that sound the same but are spelled different, I'll give you a pass.

• Members

Actually, that's the point entirely!

If you don't think that what you wrote is simple ignorance, then you've got no part in this argument.

*ignored*

Simple ignorance. Yeah ok buddy. Just like I said, this article never stated where these "teenagers" live, there education level, how old they are, they didn't compare their answer's to adults, etc. There is 0 facts. Therefore 100% bull{censored}. Im right, and you cannot prove me wrong.

• Members

Simple ignorance. Yeah ok buddy. Just like I said, this article never stated where these "teenagers" live, there education level, how old they are, they didn't compare their
answer's
to adults, etc. There is 0 facts. Therefore 100% bull{censored}. Im right, and you cannot prove me wrong.

Jesus. H. Christ.

My brain is soon to implode from the fail.

Here's the deal. 1,200 people is a relatively solid sample size. It's definitely enough to have a confidence interval that lends some validity to the survey.

• Members

Simple ignorance. Yeah ok buddy. Just like I said, this article never stated where these "teenagers" live, there education level, how old they are, they didn't compare their answer's to adults, etc. There is 0 facts. Therefore 100% bull{censored}. Im right, and you cannot prove me wrong.

Troof:

There's no way that the article could be 100% bull{censored}. If you think it could have been done better (and I'm not arguing that fact, but this was a mostly informal survey) I'd be willing to hear you out.

However, all you keep spouting is semi-ignorant "This arteekle is teh gay" and the like. Maybe if our school systems were a little more well-equipped to help students, you'd be able to get your point across a little better. :)

And I could care less either. I droped out of high school, never even thought about college, now i'm 29 and living VERY comfortably. So {censored} education.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd there you have it.

Archived